Music Discussion
What Are You Listening To? - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Classical/Opera/Modern Classical/World Music (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: What Are You Listening To? (/showthread.php?tid=114)

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 10-10-2019

Only a fraction of a much longer work but today most of us only have and attention span of 3mins 23 secs.

This old dear looks like he’s either going to have a fit or die of a heart attach but he makes it to the end. Will you?

The olds get it right again.

The best performance of this work was given at the funeral of Princess Diana but no high quality video of that even can be had on line, only on CD or download.
We’ll have to put up with second best......

It takes a particular skill and genius to master the fundamentals of playing the pipe organ but to then do on and improvise on these instruments is an astonishing ability. Without getting theological J S Bach when asked how he improvised replied “I don’t know, something just plays through me”

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 10-10-2019

Apologies for all the typos but it appears after a certain period the forum software doesn’t allow correction. Strange.

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 11-10-2019

There was a tradition with musicians in Vienna in the late 19th century to perform small scale music after the opera/ symphony concerts etc in private homes. Many were given by world class musicians who often took the opportunity to send up the seriousness of classical music. 

Respighi however was going further with this little ‘cat song' sending up opera duets, some of which he’d written himself. Sadly this concert wasn’t filmed but you can get a feeling for the effect thanks to being able to hear the audience giggling along.

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 11-10-2019

And here’s another version of the cat song but with visuals.

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 13-10-2019

Sergei Prokofiev - Sonata per violino & piano op. 80 n.1 Movt. 2
Gidon Kremer - Martha Argerich

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 13-10-2019

German lieder (art song) is a taste even many classical music lovers don’t acquire. I was raised on it by my grandmother who had me wind up an old portable 78 player to listen to her collection of this stuff. Somehow it just got into my blood but I understand fully why lieder might make many of you run screaming out of the room.

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Dissily Mordentroge - 14-10-2019

Love the red socks

RE: What Are You Listening To? - CRAZY-HORSE - 14-10-2019

not so sure about those socks but I like Dirk's...

Now for some seriously arty farty English art song.