Music Discussion
What Are You Listening To? - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Classical/Opera/Modern Classical/World Music (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: What Are You Listening To? (/showthread.php?tid=114)

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Ruby - 01-10-2020

North Sea Radio Orchestra - I a Moon

[Image: R-2983966-1310392395.jpeg.jpg]

Hmmm - where to begin? Chamber/folk, baroque touches - a real melding of many different styles - modern classical with eclectic moments. Sort of like Penguin Café - a bit. Such a joy to listen to something out of the ordinary. Apparently there are about 20 musicians in their retinue who perform interchangeably - there are some ever present members of course. Going to have to delve into this lot a bit more, I think!

Two standout tracks, for me on this first listening; the opener which will remind everyone of Kate Bush, I'm sure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hp3yViKCLo, and 

"The Earth Beneath My Feet" ...

RE: What Are You Listening To? - CRAZY-HORSE - 14-10-2020

[Image: th?id=OIP.T2wJA3niqemQpPOpMe68OgHaHQ&w=1...d=3.1&rm=2]

ANDREA PIAZZA  "nuvole" cd, 1995

another one from my now ex-work colleague's wife's collection i was given last year.
very little info on Andrea other than he is Italian and a Harpist...
a few sound bytes to add the desired effect here and there but not over the top by any means.
a pleasant change of pace and nothing too distracting whilst i rearrange my cd collection...once again.!

for the more simple folk on the forum, namely MH and myself this is one we might find more appropriate LMAO

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Music Head - 14-10-2020

lol
you go Bugs

RE: What Are You Listening To? - CRAZY-HORSE - 26-10-2020

[Image: 220px-Duck_Rock.jpg]

MALCOM McLAREN "duck rock" vinyl/cd 1983

could have put this one in alt/hiphop or World, i ended up choosing World Music.
McLaren, impressario.
always had a way of taking something regional/secular and bringing it to the world like a new invention.
whether you like or loathe the dude he probably took more chances than anyone else ever in the industry, allbeit always with other peoples money,  the dude actually made Don Arden and Tom Parker seem like upstanding citizens.
anyway,
his debut album after years of being behind the scenes and stealing the money/credit of others.
so here, he took a team of New York hip-hop radio stars and added their radio segments inbetween the songs.
songs vary from Sth African, Sth American, Central American, Carribean, Ghetto, American which is why it is World.
he changed them around to make them more acceptable to Western music tastes.
back to his cheating ways, the dude ended up settling several lawsauits 'out of court' over copyright issues with some of this...
although he wasnt a very nice guy that wouldnt stop me from including this album in a list of top50 albums from the 1980s.
I LOVE THIS ALBUM

right or wrong, for better or for worse, he tapped into a genre unknown outside of New York at the time and took it to Europe which allowed others to follow out of the Ghettos.

and several years before Paul Simon took Sth Africa to the masses McLaren did it.

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Ruby - 08-11-2020

Tigran Mansurian – Con Anima

[Image: R-16171193-1604671258-4047.jpeg.jpg]

It's a new release but I don't know how to review classical/chamber music, other than to say whether I liked it or not. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. I think these sorts of albums need to be heard a lot, and digested.  

Mansurian is an Armenian composer and I'm sure I've heard Kim Kashkashian's violin work on something else. Suffice to say, it was interesting and calming and was played as an accompaniment to a cultivating session. Hoping the plant babies will respond well!

RE: What Are You Listening To? - Jerome - 08-11-2020

This cultivating of yours, Ruby. It wouldn't be a weed variety now would it?

Just went for a walk in the forest. Met a lot of foxes on the way. And the ideas fairy as well! Busy powering up all the hardware for a day of composing. Let's see what falls out of my head today.

^Lol, not I - no weeds. We'll say nothing about the teenager.
BTW - what did you have for breakfast Jerome?? Foxes and fairies. Hmmmm ....   Dodgy

Actually a couple of bottles of Organic Human - turmeric & ginger flavours. Have it every morning. A bit pricey for the quantity but well worth it. They hide the contents behind dark glass. If you saw the contents you would probably be put off. But they taste really good. Made in Denmark or Norway I think.

https://lifestyle-drinks.online/en/all-products/organic-human-healthy-shots/

Just realised what you meant by 'foxes' - geez I am stupid. No - real foxes - I promise (not foxy ladies and gay men I can assure you).

^Turmeric is amazing stuff. Food as medicine is the way to go.

Spirulina as well. I can see you starting a company making this sort of stuff. Profitable too.