Music Discussion
Your Musical Quote of the Day - Printable Version

+- Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com)
+-- Forum: Music Discussion (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: General Music (https://www.music-discussion.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Your Musical Quote of the Day (/showthread.php?tid=18400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 05-10-2017

The idea for this thread is to post a quote you feel like sharing that either references music, or is a quote by, or about a musician/singer, or even an excerpt from a particular set of lyrics, or is anecdotal – that sort of thing.

It could be something profound, or funny, or quirky, or just plain beautiful (or not) – whatever speaks to you.

We could keep it to one per member, per day for now (so as not to use them all up at once, lol!), however, there are no hard and fast rules about that so share away if you wish.

The quote can be in text format, or you could use an image, or a clip – whatever you choose, but please give due credit. This is an essential requirement (unless it’s ol’ 'Anon', or the very prolific 'Unknown', of course!).

An accompanying track/song would be great too, if that works for you. If not – so be it.

Who knows – something interesting might develop.

I’ll start then … 

“If I knew I had to play this song the rest of my life I probably would'a wrote something else….”
― Joe Walsh (“Rocky Mountain Way”) 

And here's the song in question ... 

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 06-10-2017

"My kids are starting to notice I'm a little different from the other dads; "Why don't you have a straight job like everyone else?" they asked me the other day.

I told them this story:

In the forest, there was a crooked tree and a straight tree. Every day, the straight tree would say to the crooked tree, "Look at me...I'm tall, and I'm straight, and I'm handsome. Look at you...you're all crooked and bent over. No one wants to look at you." And they grew up in that forest together. And then one day the loggers came, and they saw the crooked tree and the straight tree, and they said, "Just cut the straight trees and leave the rest." So the loggers turned all the straight trees into lumber and toothpicks and paper. And the crooked tree is still there, growing stronger and stranger every day."

Tom Waits

(This one might be my favourite by the strange crooked tree!)

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Jerome - 06-10-2017

'The great unwashed are starting to cop on to the fact they are getting screwed over by that 2% of the world's population that own 98% of it'

Roger Waters in an interview in a magazine.

Not a musical quote at all. I was looking for a quote from Kahil Gibran's 'The Prophet' which did contain a musical reference and when I find it I will post it, but in the meantime

It takes a minute to have a crush on someone, an hour to like someone, and a day to love someone... but it takes a lifetime to forget someone.”
― Kahlil Gibran

My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there’s hardly any difference.”
- Harry Truman

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Music Head - 06-10-2017

something like

If you were to re-invent rock and roll you might just call it Chuck Berry - John Lennon

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Jerome - 06-10-2017

Jon Landau - 'I have seen the future of Rock'n'Roll and it's name is Bruce Springsteen'

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 06-10-2017

Alrighty then ... 

"Elvis may be the king of rock n roll, but I am the queen." 

Little Richard

Lol!

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 07-10-2017

"Everything I said here is exactly the same as what I would say to Gorelick if I ever saw him in person. And if I ever DO see him anywhere, at any function - he WILL get a piece of my mind and maybe a guitar wrapped around his head."

Pat Metheny

From his extended and rather entertaining rant on Kenny G’s presumptuous (to put it mildly) overdubbing of Louis Armstrong. The whole speech here … http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

The title track from Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays’ As Falls Wichita, so Falls Wichita Falls  which is lengthy, but I love it … 

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 08-10-2017

"If you pour some music on whatever is wrong, it'll sure help out."

Levon Helm

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 09-10-2017

“A gut-string classical Spanish guitar, a sweet, lovely little lady. The smell of it. Even now, to open a guitar case, when it's an old wooden guitar, I could crawl in and close the lid.” 

Keith Richards

I can relate to this – my father has one of those and that smell is so evocative.

RE: Your Musical Quote of the Day - Ruby - 10-10-2017

“I’m pleased with my vocals on this album. Innuendo is a word I often use in Scrabble. For Queen, it’s a perfect title.”

Freddie Mercury

(Steve Howe contributed a little flamenco interlude)