Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Music Head Wrote:^^
Didn't know he had moved there.
I have a couple of albums which I like quite well
Not sure if they'd reach a love, but we'll find out when the F's come up.
He's also doing one of those talent show things here as a judge, forget the name of it.

married an Australian girl and has settled in Adelaide...
Leo Sayer also relocated here a decade or so ago, he lives in Sydney...
guitar great Hank B Marvin lives here in Perth now, i worked on his Elizabethan style home whilst under construction back in the late 1980s...nice guy!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 61FrBWZfZuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

THE BEATLES "please please me" stereo/mono original vinyl & cd, 1963.

UK debut album by The Fab Four...
only eight self penned tracks on here as the boys were still finding their feet and six covers also.
whats to be said that hasnt already been said about a Beatles album other than its almost pop perfection musically,lyrically,vocally and productionwise...
guess one thing i notice with this album is how "raw" the songs sound...and not surprisingly as they were recorded in one solitary day!

I LOVE THIS ALBUM

worst track: boys
best track: do you want to know a secret?(just ahead of Twist And Shout)

nine love tracks here, five likes and no dislikes giving a rating of 2.6

[Image: 51FU39bJl3L._AA300_.jpg]
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

[Image: 41Cm0qipfqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

KD LANG "recollection" cd,2010.

IMO KD has the most pitch perfect,soulful,expressive,controlled vocals of almost any singer i have ever heard...guess Roy Orbison,to some extent 1970s Elvis,Adele,Amy Winehouse and Tom Jones
are in the same league....and anyone who can out do The Big "O" on "crying" is worth their weight in gold to me....and KD does!
pretty hard to put into words how good KD is, so below is a BBC review of this album from amazon.com that expresses the way i feel about this talented woman...

[h=2]Product Description[/h][h=3][Image: bbc_logo2.gif] Review[/h]Described by Tony Bennett as “the best singer of her generation,” k.d. lang is everything the top-selling big-haired divas aren’t. Whereas Whitney or Celine or Leona use 20 syllables when one would do, huffing and puffing to let the people in Row Z know they’re emoting, lang’s vocal performances are models of economy and grace. Her warm tones are pure yet never bland, laced with organic trails of grit and smoke. She doesn’t need to wave her arms about and yodel: once she hits a note, it stays hit. Hearing her after, say, Florence Welch is like leaving a farmyard full of buffaloes in galoshes to spend time in a Japanese Zen garden.
Her 25-year recording career is hereby celebrated with her first career retrospective. There’s a two-CD best of, or a four-disc deluxe package which adds rarities and unreleased live tracks and a DVD of videos and live footage. The two-disc version gives you a lovely selection, balanced between minor hits and eyebrow-raising collaborations, always avoiding the cheese of ‘country’.
It’s an indication of the esteem in which fellow singers hold this woman that she’s duetted with giants of the vocal arts like Bennett and Roy Orbison, as well as Elton John. Her airy, eerie piece with fellow Canadian Jane Siberry, Calling All Angels, is exquisitely light of touch. She may be the only person alive who could have teamed up with Orbison for Crying and not ruined it, or shared Moonglow with Bennett with such unflashy ease.
Constant Craving remains one of the great pining torch songs of its era (oddly, the guitars now sound a bit Johnny Marr), while Miss Chatelaine enjoys melodic twists that defy analysis. The old Hollies chestnut The Air That I Breathe and Neil Young’s Helpless are rendered so astutely you wonder how Susan Boyle might sound if produced by Eno. Then there are not one but two takes on Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah. If any song has been devalued and misinterpreted in recent years, it’s this. Yet lang, of course, by understating it, breathes it back to life. More should learn this lang-uage. --Chris Roberts

track listing:

1. Trail of Broken Hearts
2. Constant Craving
3. Air That I Breathe
4. Helpless
5. You're OK
6. Western Stars
7. Valley, the
8. Summerfling
9. Miss Chatelaine
10. I Dream of Spring
11. Hallelujah
12. Help Me
13. Hush Sweet Lover
14. Beautifully Combined
15. Crying
16. Love for Sale
17. Golden Slumbers/The End
18. Barefoot
19. Moonglow
20. So in Love
21. Calling All Angels
22. Hallelujah

I JUST SIMPLY LOVE THIS ALBUM..not rated with a score!

from the album:

hallelujah
KD Lang sings 'Hallelujah' @ the Max Sessions 2005 - YouTube live
crying
KD Lang performing 'Crying' on Australian TV 'the Midday Show' around 1993 - YouTube live
helpless
K.D. Lang sings Neil Young's Helpless - YouTube live
constant craving
k.d. Lang CONSTANT CRAVING (TV Performance) - YouTube live

from my library (vinyl)

[Image: They_Don%27t_Make_Them_Like_They_Used_To.jpg]

Geez! each time I think my Kenny Rogers has tapped out, another one surfaces. And they're not getting any better.
This one just barely gets a like. And I still can't believe they score the highest on the country charts. This 14th
solo album made #16 there and #137 on the pop. As expected, nothing country on here. Some passable pop tunes, and
three tracks that totally suck, where Kenny attempts to rock, or disco, which had faded away by this point. The
sugary pop tunes carry him through, but we needed another duet. Debarge doing background vocals on a few tracks was
added for the r&b folks. The title track here was the theme song for the movie Tough Guys,which I don't remember
seeing. The song You're My Love was written by Prince under the pseudonym Johnny Coco. At least it wasn't that sign
thingy. I wouldn't be able to find it on the keyboard. Two singles were released, the title track, which bombed and
my favorite here of Twenty Years Ago, which went #2 country. Nice lyrics there but not my kind of country.

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

Worst Track - This Love We Share

Best Track - Twenty Years Ago

It's been a long time since I walked
Through this old town
But oh how the memories start to flow
And there's the old movie house
They finally closed it down
You could find me there every Friday night
Twenty years ago.

I worked the counter at the drugstore down the street
But nobody's left there I would know
On Saturday mornings that's where
All my friends would meet
You'd be surprised to know what a dime would buy
Twenty years ago.

All my memories from those days come gather round me
What I'd give if they could take me back in time
It almost seems like yesterday
Where do the good times go?
Life was so much easier twenty years ago.

I guess I should stop by Mr. Johnson's hardware store
His only son was my friend Joe
But he joined the army back in 1964
How could we know he would never come back
Twenty years ago.

1) This Love We Share *
audio - kenny rogers this love we share - YouTube
2) If I Could Hold On To Love **
audio - If I Could Hold On To Love - Kenny Rogers - YouTube
3) You're My Love **
audio - Kenny Rogers - You're my love - YouTube
4) Time For Love **
audio - KENNY ROGERS - Time for love (1986) HQ - YouTube
5) They Don't Make Them Like They Used To **
audio - Kenny Rogers They Don't Make Them Like They Used To - YouTube
6) Life Is Good, Love Is Better *
7) Just The Thought Of Losing You **
audio - JUST THE THOUGHT OF LOSING YOU-- KENNY ROGERS-1987-*RARE* - YouTube
8) Anything At All *
audio - kenny rogers sings.. anything at all.wmv - YouTube
9) After All This Time **
audio - Kenny Rogers After all this time video - YouTube
10) Twenty Years Ago **
video - Kenny Rogers: Twenty Years Ago (video) - YouTube

3's - 0
2's - 7
1's - 3

Grade - 1.7

i went off Kenny several years prior to this album with that horrible cover We Got Tonite thing with Sheena Easton

Jamie Jones! love
[Image: Blur-22-Over-10-143898.jpg]

BLUR "22/10" aka "22 over 10" cd,1999.

double best of set that only ever saw the light of day as a promo set in 1999 before being withdrawn and reissued the following year as "the best of blur".
the title 22/10 refers to the number of the singles and the amount of years they were active upto this point
so, 22 singles, most of which made the UK top 10, only one track...the debut single(she's so high) failed to crack the top 40 over there and rightly so, its bloody terrible...in fact it showed very little of the class that these guys would emerge into over the next couple of years and remain fairly untouchable for the best part of the 1990s...only Oasis could claim to be bigger, and that is debateable amongst fans...
the rivalry between the two bands was much the same as that between the Beatles and Stones back in the 1960s...
as we all know,vocalist Damon Albarn ended up with Gorillaz and principle writer/guitarist Graeme Coxon has since become to his generation of musicians as Johnny Marr of The Smiths did in the previous decade.
rumour has it that Blur are working on a new album(their first in a decade) and intend headlining UK festivals this northern summer....
either way,success or failure...Blur have become an important and essential part of 1990s Britpop.
yet another great group who failed to make it outside of the UK on a large scale, only had four or five US chart entries and pretty much the same here also...

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

worst track: shes so high
best track: tender

tracks:

disc one:

1. shes so high *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EsIe6Og7kc live
2. theres no other way **
Blur - There's No Other Way ( Live, Köln, Germany ) - YouTube live
3. bang ***
Blur- Bang Live (Wembley 1999) - YouTube live
4. popscene ***
Blur - Popscene (Glastonbury 1998) - YouTube live
5. for tomorrow **
Blur - For Tomorrow ( Live MTV 1993) - YouTube live
6. chemical world **
Blur - Chemical World (Live at Butt Naked) - YouTube live
7. sunday sunday **
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6YPGdDB1A&ob=av2e vevo video
8. girls and boys ***
Blur Girls And Boys Live - YouTube live
9. to the end *
Blur - To the End (Glastonbury 94) - YouTube live
10.parklife ***
Blur Parklife Live - YouTube live
11. end of the century **
Blur - End Of A Century Live On MTV - YouTube live

disc 2:

1. country house ***
Blur Country House Live Britpop Now 1995 - YouTube live
2. the universal **
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrbxWOMpwfs&ob=av2e vevo video
3. stereotypes ***
Blur - Stereotypes (Live Jools Holland) - YouTube live
4. charmless man ***
Blur - Charmless Man (live USA TV) - YouTube live
5. beetlebum **
Blur - Beetlebum (Jools Holland 1997) - YouTube live
6. song 2 ***
Blur - Song 2 (Live Wembley Arena) - YouTube live
7. on your own *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fZUIzYMo3U live
8. M.O.R **
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGNwMrsy30&ob=av2e live
9. tender ***
Blur - Tender (Jools Holland) - YouTube live
10.coffee and TV **
Blur - Coffee & TV (TV live) - YouTube live
11.no distance left to run **
Blur - No Distance Left To Run (Jools Holland 1999) - YouTube live

3s=9
2s=10
1s=3

rating: 2.3

from my library (vinyl)

[Image: 510MYowBaxL._SL500_AA280_.jpg]

Another mediocre effort from the brief super star. Nothing great, a couple of bombs, three singles that never took
off. Best is a jazzy Paul Williams number, Nice To Be Around, worst, one of the singles, I Can't Hear You No More,
with some disco beat, making #29. This is Helen's eighth album, making #16 on the chart, and it did go gold, but
the last one to do so. A couple of bluesy type numbers where her voice doesn't fit. Helen's best material was
behind her for me and although she was only about halfway through her releases, only one more would even hit the
charts here. Last studio release was 1990, which she started her own label to release. Her most recent work has
been in the theater area. Although an Aussie, she obtained American citizenship and now resides in California.

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

Worst Track - I Can't Hear You No More

Best Track - Nice To Be Around

Hello, such a simple way to start a love affair
Should I jump right in and say how much I care?
Would you take it for the madness of a simple-hearted clown?

Hello, with affection from a sentimental fool
From a little girl who’s broken every rule
To one who brings me up when all the others seem to let me down
To one who’s nice to be around

Should I say that it’s a blue world without you
Nice words I remember from an old love song
But all wrong ‘cause I’ve never called it love before
This feeling’s new, it came with you

And I know that the nicest things have never seemed to last
That we’re both a bit embarrassed by our past
But I think there’s something special in the feeling that we’ve found
And you’re nice to be around
And you’re nice to be around

1) Music, Music *
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWAAsxGsP4
2) Gladiola **
3) Mama **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKWAAsxGsP4
4) Hold Me In Your Dreams Tonight **
5) Get Off Me Baby **
audio - helen reddy - get off me baby - YouTube
6) I Can't Hear You No More *
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSWBgfbBTnY
7) Ladychain **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_By5U6LeAKw
8) Music Is My Life **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_By5U6LeAKw
9) Nice To Be Around **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oup2JGdr0Y
10) You Make It So Easy **
audio - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPcSyL938BQ

3's - 0
2's - 8
1's - 2

Grade - 1.8

so many albums, so little time

[Image: acttr?v=1&a=new_trck%3A%09false%092%0923...8266446732]

from my library (vinyl)

[Image: 41GW0VKTIwL._AA160_.jpg]

One of those soft rock groups (Bread, Seals & Crofts, maybe some light Doobies). Not around long, but they did make
it through four albums, this being the second. Not a terrible band band never anything great. This one just misses
the mark. Formed in Massachusetts in 1973. All original material here from leader Jon Pousette-Dart. A couple of
country flavored tracks. Think I have the follow up to this. Must have been punishing myself for something. One
song from here, Fall On Me, was used in an episode of Lost. Probably more royalties from that than anything they've
ever done. The album reached #143 with no singles charting. The band split in '81, then reunited in '91 for some
live gigs but no new recorded material came out of that. A best of set surfaced in '94. Must have been a short
album.

I DO NOT LIKE THIS ALBUM

Worst Track - May You Dance

Best Track - County Line

1) County Line **
audio - Pousette - Dart Band - "County Line" - YouTube
2) Fall On Me **
audio - The Pousette-Dart Band in LOST - YouTube
3) Amnesia **
audio - Pousette Dart Band - "Amnesia" - YouTube
4) I Think I Know *
5) May You Dance *
6) I Don't Know Why **
live - Don't Know Why - YouTube
7) Winterness **
8) Who's That Knocking *
9) Listen To The Spirit **
10) Yaicha *

3's - 0
2's - 6
1's - 4

Grade - 1.6

so many albums, so little time

just got around to listening to your links from this album MH....sometimes it takes a while but i do listen to your links eventually!

all four tracks are pretty good IMO,but not enough for me to rush out and get myself a cd of theirs!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Zayn - Nobody Is Listening Music Head 1 410 28-01-2021, 13:43
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Ben Taylor - Listening Music Head 1 1,677 20-08-2012, 11:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE