Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie recommendations please !
Last night - Three Billboards outside Ebbing. Not as enamoured with this as the Academy is. Can't really see what the fuss was about. An average movie at best. The ending was an anticlimax. Some good moments in it but nothing to write home about.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Martin Scorses’s 2005 documentary film - No Direction Home: Bob Dylan

[Image: 220px-Bobdylannodirectionhome.jpg]

This covers the period 1961 to 1965 – his transition from ‘pure’ folk to more of a rock style, and it’s quite an eye-opener! We all know how unusual Bob Dylan is, and this documentary really reinforces that; not sure anyone has, or ever will be able to work him out, but seen from the perspective of now, what he was doing is also easier to comprehend that it would have been back then. Fascinating! He’s interviewed in the present as a sort of commentary and that’s extremely cleverly done - his face in half shadow, those eyes flashing out blue fire now and then – he’s quite relaxed too, expect toward the end when he starts getting a bit caustic - had probably had enough by then! 

He was just a kid when this all started but even then, was on his own mission. He may have taken his cue from the great folk and protest singers – Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger, and from Billie Holiday, and the blues musicians of the time, but while undisputedly highlighting causes and general human rights, always stated that he wasn’t political. He wasn’t trying to emulate those he admired, and didn’t plan on being beholden to them either. To me, what he was trying to do with his voice was not to actually sing, in the conventional understanding of the word - he's almost disparaging of melody, in fact - that voice was fully intended as an instrument to carry his songs. From what I can tell, he didn’t really want anyone else singing his songs (although they did, and have, extensively!) – he wrote them and wanted to deliver them his way. He resisted anyone trying to understand him, or should I say, pin him down, but in all truth, there are some who really didn’t deserve to either! During a press conference one journalist asked him an inane question to which Bob responded, “Have you listened to any of my records?” - “No” responds this character. “Well then how can you ask me that question?” ripostes Bob. “I’m just doing my job” says the journo, which kinda says it all if you ask me. What right did that person have to question him? None at all. Must have been very hard for this maverick muso of obvious intelligence and wit to have to deal with a constant barrage of the banal. People simply didn’t have a clue how to handle him and nobody got off lightly. 

Anyway – another comment that the present (well the year 2000) Bob made that was most telling, IMHO, was this: “I had gotten in the door when no-one was looking. I was in there now, and there was nothing anyone from then on could ever do about it.” In those few short years, he’d well and truly established himself, and that was that. I’m pretty sure that was his master plan – he wasn’t just stumbling around getting known by chance – I think he set out to do exactly (pretty much) what he did. The movie ends as he’s heading back home and shortly before he had the motorcycle accident which created a hiatus in his career; he didn’t tour for another six years. There are appearances and interviews by all sort of people, which helps to build a structure and setting (some of them since passed on) for those years – Alan Ginsberg, Suze Rotolo, Joan Baez, Liam Clancy, Pete Seeger – you see clips of him with Johnny Cash, some amazing footage from the times. I’d watch it again. Really, really good. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Ruby's posts always make me want to come up with an intelligent response
as always
I come up empty
I feel all inadequate

^Oh alright.
I’ll try Haiku too.
I like it.
Go watch it.
Better??

Angel  Big Grin
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
For any husband who is thinking of straying - 'Gone Girl' - it will make your eyes water - and I'm not talking crying baby!
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I really enjoyed Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri although the ending was strange. Shape of Water was excellent also.

Any new recommendations fellow MDers ?
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
I've watched some newish movies recently ... 

The Last Word – Shirley MacLaine and Amanda Seyfried. A crusty old doyen of the advertising world decides she wants her obituary written and approved before she shuffles off this mortal coil. The obit writer has to discover who this woman really is underneath the prickly exterior. It’s a feelgood, fairly improbable yet predictable romp, and good escapist fun for all that, with a couple of interwoven parallel threads of self-discovery. Shirley MacLaine is a great actress and her character, who among other things becomes a DJ at the age of 81, is a big fan of The Kinks, Eddie Cochran and high fidelity sound.

The Post – leads by Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks, both of whom are such incredible chameleons. She plays Katherine Graham, the first female publisher of a major American newspaper, The Washington Post – Hanks plays the editor, Ben Bradlee. Based on fact (largely), it’s about the disclosure of the Vietnam War documents, the classified Pentagon Papers through the press, just prior to the Watergate affair. The New York Times got there first and had been silenced by the Supreme Court when documents were revealed to the Post and Graham had to decide whether or not to run the story just as they were launching the company on the stock exchange. A serious dilemma for a woman who wasn’t taken all that seriously and a good portrait of the era and the stereotypes of that time. Tom Hanks plays his part with real finesse and Meryl Streep is brilliant, as always.

Viceroy’s House – Hugh Bonneville, Gillian Anderson, Manish Dayal, Huma Qureshi and Michael Gambon in major roles. Based on the final days of the raj, when Lord Louis Mountbatten and his wife Edwina held the posts of Viceroy and Vicereine. It deals with the divisions between Hindu and Muslim, the territorial debates and the tactical geographical partition of India. Terrible business – thousands and thousands of people were displaced and died while men wielding power in other countries, never having set foot on the subcontinent, determined their fate. The internal factions and their leaders were not blameless either. Not in depth enough for a full understanding of the whole scenario but enough to spark interest if one is inclined to want to discover more. An impossible romance is also part of the picture and Lady Mountbatten is portrayed in a fairly good light which apparently fits with the work she really did do to try and alleviate some of the suffering. Nice soundtrack by A.R. Rahman - as it should be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  worst casting in a movie oldies65 7 1,631 18-10-2016, 04:01
Last Post: Lovely Linda
  Barbra Streisand - Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway Music Head 1 629 09-09-2016, 13:41
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Great Songs From a Movie lady layne 1 1,474 03-12-2015, 05:47
Last Post: Clive Harrison
  movie logos jazzboCR 0 518 17-07-2014, 00:47
Last Post: jazzboCR
  2014 promises to be a movie goers paradise Amurcomusic 0 670 03-07-2014, 08:07
Last Post: Amurcomusic
  James Brown’s Inspiring Story, Now A Movie Amurcomusic 0 4,352 18-06-2014, 06:39
  Transformers set to transform movie experience Amurcomusic 0 807 21-05-2014, 09:35
  Kirpaan Movie Release Date Noor47 0 601 18-12-2013, 07:06
Last Post: Noor47
  Favorite Musical? Stage or Movie jroknbok 45 7,903 14-10-2013, 22:32
Last Post: Mrrusty1
  The validity of a movie soundtrack SteveO 9 1,925 18-09-2013, 20:06
Last Post: Bellini48