Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your format and/or device of choice
I have records and I have CDs. Quite a few. But I mostly listen to mp3s. I'm constantly on the hunt for new music. I cannot satisfy my thirst except from mp3s found out there in the ether. So it is not an issue of sound quality for me. I do look for high bit-rate mp3s, but I probably don't have the hardware to hear the difference anyways. I send the audio from iTunes through a Monster cable into my compact JVC component system.

As for the CD vs. vinyl debate I've heard arguments for both sides. From what I understand a CD is capable of storing more information than a record. The format can hold more information, and therefore more detail in the sound. But it depends on how it is mastered. Some CDs are mastered as Iota describes and some take full advantage of the format.

For me there are too many factors involved to give a clear winner. And because I'm not a sound engineer I really don't care!
wow, thanks for all the great replies!

and as far as vinyl goes, it does have a greater frequency range. but (to the best of my knowledge) it depends on the source. if the source going onto the record is analog it will have a greater range, but if the source is coming from a digital source (like protools or whatever) the record's sound quality will not surpass that of a cd.

i don't know. 320k mp3s sound pretty damn good lol. good enough for me. (and someone PM me with info on this FLAC business, if you don't mind. i've downloaded them and taken the "pepsi challenge" with high quality mp3s and can't hear a difference)
"Music is amazing. There's some metaphysical comfort where it allows you to be isolated and alone while telling you that you are not alone... truly, the only cure for sadness is to share it with someone else. " © Wayne Coyne
I've found a pretty nice article on hydrogenaudio's wiki about FLAC.

CLICK
Ah, I also enjoy my 8GB iPod Touch. I listen using Shure SE110 Earphones.

As I hinted at before, the whole mp3 vs. CD vs. vinyl records debate is mute (ha!) unless one has the quality components to deliver the superior sound. It really doesn't matter for most of us. We will not hear the difference unless it is a mp3 below... 128 kb/s I believe?
man, i got BURNED on a pair of expensive ass pair of shure earphones. same with bose and griffin. shitty frequency response on both. zero low end and ear piercing highs :confused:

i finally stubbled onto those skull candy headphones. they look like crap, but actually sound really good. and at half the price of the bose and a third of the price of the shures... i don't care what they look like
"Music is amazing. There's some metaphysical comfort where it allows you to be isolated and alone while telling you that you are not alone... truly, the only cure for sadness is to share it with someone else. " © Wayne Coyne
I haven't had any of those problems you describe with my Shure earphones. They provide a rich full sound.
I've got a pair of Philips SHP8500 headphones and they're actually pretty neat. The price-performance ratio is top-notch.
Iota Wrote:I've got a pair of Philips SHP8500 headphones and they're actually pretty neat. The price-performance ratio is top-notch.

i've seen those and wondered how they sound. i had a cheap pair of in-ear philips for a long time (one fell out and in the sink while shaving lol. didn't sound right after that). they are great bang for your buck.

as far as over the ear headphones, i use my AKG K240s out of my studio set up. they are no good for use with a mobile device, but sound great if your just chillin next to the stereo.
I've got a 16GB IPod chromatic and for some reason I like to have albums in CD form instead of downloading them straight from ITunes :biggrin:
personally, I pretty much just use mp3s and wav files because they're so easy to find, store & transfer. They also sound incredible on a good stereo :biggrin1:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Time Format Correction techman 0 1,478 25-01-2008, 00:39
Last Post: techman