Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which song lyrics do you like the best?
wow there are so many...i can't find sleep at night i'm either watching tv or walkin,i can't find any conversation that means more to me than talkin[i can't find-smokey]...girl to restore the faith you had in me,i'm beggin you down on my knees don't leave me don't leave[i need your lovin-the temptations]...when we meet i feel guilty cause i want for you to long for me like i long for you[i love you secrectly-the miracles]...this is our folk in the road,love's last episode[i'll be around-the spinners]...first you get in a big boss line and work out like a train on a track,when you hear me holla get on board there won't be no turnin back[do the choo-choo-archie bell and the drells]...i have counted all your lies,all your alibies i'.m a guy who believes what he hears[i count the tears-the drifters]...take the lock off of the gate to my heart and let your love come rumblin though if i'm gonna take a chance on any romance then i'd rather take that chance with you[forever-major lance]...a love gone bad is a heartbreaking thing,it's like a chilling cold in the mist of spring[there's no love left-the isley bros.].
Well, now, didn't the newbie turn in a sterling Post! Totally agree with his choices. Mr. Dylan frequently lauded Mr. Robinson as a "Folk Poet" and if Holland/Dozier/Holland wrote a bad or false-sounding lyric, it hasn't seen the light of day.
I've quoted them to the point of tedium but a song each by Steve Miller and Mitch Ryder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MisLnQjKP00 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QyoRzZrF00
We live in an age of great lyricists, if we choose to seek them: Mose Allison, J.D.McPherson, John Fogerty, Steve Earle, Charlie Wood etc. etc. I prefer on-point lyrics; others look for poetry--what a great world that both can be found and enjoyed.
NOTE: Remember always: This is not stand-alone poetry--they gain their strength from context, either music or performance. Look at the Great American Songbook for profound evocations of human emotions and the human spirit. The newer lyricists in rock may go on a bit; the GAS songwriters got it done in 3:50 or less and trusted you figure out the subtleties...
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
there's a lot of great lyrics out there, but I think the lyrics from Nirvana's Dumb are good. I doubt many people would say that, but I personally like that song a lot.
I'm a big fan of any lyrics by the band Brand New, their later albums rather than their early ones. Really strange and metaphorical. It's great.
Anything by Sixto Rodriguez
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
the first love of your life was untrue to you,and it broke your little heart he'd love you then he left you,confused misused and in the dark,won't you let me walk into your world of darkness and confusion,let me show you there's another side to love that's more than a sweet illusion,you just believe believe in love again you'll find there's two sides to love and what you've experienced wasn't the real thing...two sides to love-the temptations..written by smokey.
prove that it won't bother me,to become your used to be,prove that all these tears that fall aren't really tears at all,prove it to my struggling heart prove it now before we part...[prove it-Aretha-1968]
This is a fantastic, powerful song. I love it a lot.
SteveO Wrote:Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew her
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
I don't know what it is about this song, but it really makes me want to get into songwriting myself, even though I don't have the patience to master it like Billy Joel and Ray Charles.

Late at night
When it's dark and cold
I reach out
For someone to hold
When I'm blue
When I'm lonely
She comes through
She's the only one who can
My baby grand
Is all I need

In my time
I've wandered everywhere
Around this world
She would always be there
Any day
Any hour
All it takes
Is the power in my hands
This baby grand's
Been good to me

I've had friends
But they have slipped away
I've had fame
But it doesn't stay
I've made fortunes
Spent them fast enough
As for women
They don't last with just one man
But my baby grand
Is gonna' stand by me

They say that no one's gonna play this on the radio
They said the melancholy blues were dead and gone
But only songs like these
Played in minor keys
Keep those memories holding on

I've come far
From the life I've strayed in
I've got scars
From those dives I've played in
Now I'm home
And I'm weary
In my bones
Every dreary one night stand
My baby grand
Is comin' home with me

Ever since this gig began
My baby grand's
Been good to me
Wonderful lyrics guys! Let's keep the ball rolling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judge my lyrics, please? 1blankmind 8 958 15-10-2016, 18:21
Last Post: 1blankmind
  Khaled Ajashi new own Song! LittleDun 0 415 25-09-2016, 02:32
Last Post: LittleDun
  Instrumental. New Song. Curious 0 963 21-03-2016, 09:58
Last Post: Curious
  New song we finished a couple weeks ago... Thoughts? good or bad. aurora4dth 3 1,528 27-02-2016, 10:51
Last Post: Jerome
  How do you start off a song? Seamusblonde 49 18,196 14-02-2016, 10:43
Last Post: Jerome
  2016 French song Ozamindia 0 850 14-01-2016, 12:46
Last Post: Ozamindia
  Please check out this video of a new song that i wrote newriot 1 1,521 14-01-2016, 12:44
  Original song :))) MAYAN 1 1,063 14-01-2016, 12:43
  Original song! KahanoBeats_Bros - Stormy Night KahanoBeats_Bros 0 1,022 27-08-2015, 18:39
Last Post: KahanoBeats_Bros
  Inmotion's first song - feedback greatly appreciated! Tzirhk 2 1,274 07-08-2015, 16:53
Last Post: Cali5