Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"New" music from Queen and Pink Floyd
Here's an in-depth review of new emissions by these 2 monster groups. It goes mostly through the songs and explains my quotes around "new".: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/02/arts/m...queen.html << No click-throughs to songs--you'll have to find them on your own.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Floyd's Endless River is released today and David Gilmour was interviewed on the BBC Today radio programme this morning. James Naughtie, not the most competent interviewer at the best of times, came across as being in a hurry, ill-prepared and knowing nothing about the band. For example, he kept harping on about the band's age and Gilmour had to remind him that in 1993 they were a lot younger than they are now. At one point Naughtie called the album Endless Road and soon after referred to a 'road', but even worse, he seemed unaware that Richard Wright had died. When again corrected by Gilmour, he snapped, 'I know'!

The gist of the interview was that, when Pink Floyd reconvened for the Division Bell album, they spent two weeks improvising, and it is from this material that Endless River was constructed. Gilmour commented on what he called 'musical conversations' between himself and Richard Wright, while alluding to the chemistry that he clearly now misses.

David Gilmour did well to remain his usual calm and polite self, probably in the knowledge that all publicity is good.
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It
I'm not what I'd call a fan of those guys but I do own DSOTM on cd and 30th anniversary vinyl, also own Animals,WYWH,The Wall on cd and original vinyl,Final Cut on cassette and finally Division Bell.
Division Bell is my all-round favourite but to be honest I don't think I will get this new one.

I also own three Waters solo albums.
Dunbass interviewers should research before conducting interviews IMO

Good on Gilmour for not losing it with him!!!
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:I'm not what I'd call a fan of those guys but I do own DSOTM on cd and 30th anniversary vinyl, also own Animals,WYWH,The Wall on cd and original vinyl,Final Cut on cassette and finally Division Bell.
Division Bell is my all-round favourite but to be honest I don't think I will get this new one.

I also own three Waters solo albums.
7 albums
admit it
that's a fan

^ LOL!!!!...I was thinking the same thing!!!!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
To be honest the only albums of theirs that I would go out of my way to listen to are "the wall" and "division bell",the rest...couldnt care less if I never heard them again.
And the Waters solo stuff,
Can take or leave them also.
It's good to see the love for The Division Bell here. I like most Pink Floyd albums, including A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. Both Meddle and Dark Side of the Moon are brilliant. Although I rushed up to the Tottenham Court Road in London to buy it, when it was first released, I found The Wall disappointing, with the exception of a few tracks, mainly because Richard Wright's role was diminished. David Gilmour's and Wright's solo albums are also pretty good. Gilmour's solo Live in Gdansk has an amazing version of Echoes, with Richard Wright on keyboards. I first saw it while Wright was still alive, but watched it again just after he died and it moved me to tears.

[video=youtube;xMrhRqK4iig]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=xMrhRqK4iig[/video]
“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.” William Shakespeare, As You Like It
Busy listening to The Endless River right now - too early to tell where it's all going but first impressions are that it is crap! The whole thing comes across as being completely disjointed, incoherent and to be quite frank, really badly thought out. I am very surprised they let this one out of the studio in this state. Sorry Mason/Gilmour - you screwed up big time!! Oh well one more great band gone to the dogs.........
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Damn,sorry to hear that Jerome......
Its terrible when some artist you admire lets you down like that

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ouroboros Music Video tristoise 5 1,217 02-12-2016, 09:08
Last Post: tristoise
  Which you consider the best album of The Pink Floyd? juan_mccoy 32 4,366 27-11-2016, 02:28
Last Post: MrMojoRisin
  Where to start with Queen Friedrich Hueppe 7 1,937 07-11-2016, 21:53
Last Post: djsmuv
  Pink Floyd goth metal raver 48 7,250 19-10-2016, 11:29
Last Post: bob_32_116
  Pink Floyd's Time Reditus 0 684 21-08-2016, 14:51
Last Post: Reditus
  Queen-Show must go on (orchestral cover) Filip Lackovic 1 1,028 16-08-2016, 21:46
Last Post: ulimusic
  Field Music "disappointed" CRAZY-HORSE 0 768 10-07-2016, 12:16
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  "Such music doesn't exist any more!" Friedrich Hueppe 4 1,094 23-06-2016, 00:54
  New Music Video aschwend94 0 684 05-04-2016, 01:25
Last Post: aschwend94
  looking for some new music to listen to? NextSound 3 1,214 29-03-2016, 10:48