Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think HARD rock is?
Hi everybody.

I've had this discussion with some of my friends and we do not agree at all. But we are all entitled to our own opinions. Smile

I'm curious, what would you describe as HARD rock, NOT metal?

Looking forward to your answers Wink
here's the wiki page on:

"hard rock"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_rock_music

and "heavy metal"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

seems like they both started around the same time, both have the same or similar influences and origins and both merge into one and overlap at times...
thanks for your reply. Smile

It seems that every time i try to start a discussion, people shut it down, haha. Wink

But, for instance wiki says that Van Halen is Hard Rock. I would not say that. (This is gonna sound cool, but) my mother has always loved Van Halen and we talked about it the other day. She says it's hard rock, but in my opinion they are too soft to be in that category.
mothers are never wrong

at the end of the day...it doesnt matter what genre they call Van Halen or anything else..
if the music moves ya,gets ya mojo working etc...thats all that matters!
RockRascal Wrote:thanks for your reply. Smile

It seems that every time i try to start a discussion, people shut it down, haha. Wink

But, for instance wiki says that Van Halen is Hard Rock. I would not say that. (This is gonna sound cool, but) my mother has always loved Van Halen and we talked about it the other day. She says it's hard rock, but in my opinion they are too soft to be in that category.

So now I'm curious as to what you consider hard rock - I agree with your mother and the wiki bands listed are what I consider hard rock - Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Van Halen, etc.
Hard rock and heavy metal are two genres that weave in and out of each other. I really don't think AC/DC, Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple to use examples, are heavy metal! Hard rock, yes! I have a difficult time pegging Motorhead, Iron Maiden. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest as hard core metal...they lean towards hard rock in a lot of cases! To me heavy metal is like this...extreme in your face harsh music!

[video=youtube;oZQAXXYm8so]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZQAXXYm8so[/video]
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
the ones you mentioned SteveO...are IMO, blues-rock bands, they took blues and made it heavier musically
Iron Maiden...they are hard rock to me, but some of their material does on occasions border metal

KISS...they were labelled "heavy metal" back in the day, yet they were a rockband IMO with some blues rock thrown in for good measure(especially Ace Frehley's early KISS material. i think they only ever made one album that could have blurred the hard rock/metal boundaries and that was "carnival of souls", the one that preceeded it,"revenge" was genuine hard rock to me as was "sonic boom" and their last release,the title slips my mind right now though.

in rock and roll history where can you tracke the roots of hard rock back to...

Beatles "helter skelter" or "revolution"
even some of the Small Faces music was quite heavy for its time also or even earlier with:
Kink's "you really got me"
The Who "my generation"
Music Head Wrote:mothers are never wrong

maybe your mother was psychic and knew what Dylan was going to become...lol!
Music Head Wrote:mothers are never wrong

well maybe you are right, i don't know. Wink and my mother is almost never wrong haha XD

CRAZY_HORSE: Yes you are comepletly right and i am not trying to change that. If you like something, listen to it! I have nothing against Van Halen, they are great, but I wouldn't categorize them as hard rock. Smile

R-burke: Well, when someone says hard rock I think of something right under metal on the "Hardness scale". Something that hints a touch of metal once in awhile. I really don't like metal, it's just not my style, but a song I really like, that has a hint of metal (i think) is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-2yuGgp_U8

SteveO: Yes that is what i think. the two genres weaves into each other once in awhile. I like the way you describe metal: "extreme in your face harsh music!". I agree. And you can't really hear what they are "singing".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Blessthefall - Hard Feelings Music Head 0 369 08-04-2018, 12:02
Last Post: Music Head
  Classic Rock Inspired Song Rich Bitch From Rhett May Transports You Back To The 70's BobMoran 0 527 15-09-2015, 20:21
Last Post: BobMoran
  Bass Lines Needed For Hard Rock Band Songs JakeSingsAlot 0 545 22-05-2015, 01:18
Last Post: JakeSingsAlot
  What is your all time favourite rock album ? Mrrusty1 64 12,717 13-03-2015, 14:31
Last Post: geeeaidan
  Obscure Progressive Rock\Metal bands Mezurashii5 1 537 02-11-2014, 21:47
Last Post: SteveO
  If You’re A Fan Of Metal,You Can't Miss Inside Metal:The Pioneers of LA Rock & Metal fuschiaorchid 1 520 23-10-2014, 02:32
  Rock'N'Roll Wolves - "Call Of The Wild" debut album rocknrollwolves 0 497 21-08-2014, 12:49
Last Post: rocknrollwolves
  Metal Rock Intro V-Andrew 1 625 13-07-2014, 14:21
  Overplayed Rock Songs coykiesaol 69 12,450 24-06-2014, 06:55
Last Post: shikha
  Hard Rock tunes you are spinning! rock4u.vn 1 408 22-05-2014, 23:21