Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
(04-01-2018, 22:33)Ruby Wrote: Happy Birthday to the elusive and enigmatic Mark Hollis who was born on this day in 1955, in Tottenham, London, England. The lead singer and driving creative force behind Talk Talk and one of contemporary music’s more mysterious characters. After the band’s fifth album which was released in 1991, and his eponymous solo album released in 1998, he retired from the music industry, resurfacing on rare occasions but never really long enough to pin down. There are the odd interviews on YT which help to shed some light, but essentially, he is an unusual person who has his very own decided mind and opinions and who appears not to be swayed or influenced by the trappings and/or particularly, the adulation afforded by fame, fortune and the like; how very refreshing!

There was a whole lot more going on in Talk Talk than your regular 80’s synthpop outfit, but they were of that time and I expect fared less well commercially than they might have, having only brought out an album every two years – very careful and fastidious about what was recorded – nothing wrong with that! A mere five, almost perfect albums later – they were gone – and ultimately, I suspect it served them well. Hollis viewed his voice as an instrument that should, in effect, have been written (notated) into the score of whatever they were working on – his aim was for the voice to sit in the mix equal to any other sound, and for the most part, I think he managed to achieve his objective. On the other hand, he had a thing about improvisation and from what I can tell, I also think he is/was a perfectionist and probably not that easy to work with – incredibly intense. Anyway - all of that is moot, and ...

there's this – from The Colour of Spring

A phenomenal band - the solo on 'I Don't Believe in You' sends shivers up my spine. https://youtu.be/UqCBnLO_jqk
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^^Yes ... great album too, with quite a diverse and interesting personnel lineup. 

Joseph Henry "T Bone" Burnett III was born on this day in 1948. Legendary (and by all accounts extremely well respected) producer, musician and songwriter. He has said he came by his nickname ‘honestly’ at around the age of five, but that his memory of the exact origin is scanty. Not one to step into the spotlight much himself, and not that keen on live performance, he’s released twelve solo albums during the course of his lengthy career and contributed his musical talents to many others; he sings, plays guitar mainly, and some keys, and also arranges.  

Artists for whom he’s produced include: Elvis Costello, Elton John and Leon Russell, Counting Crows, Delbert McClinton, Maria Muldaur, Leo Kottke, Los Lobos, Marshall Crenshaw, Peter Case, Roy Orbison, the BoDeans, Bruce Cockburn and his wife Leslie ‘Sam’ Phillips. In addition he has produced movie and TV soundtracks, winning a Grammy for O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Nice comprehensive bio here - 
http://www.encyclopedia.com/people/liter...ne-burnett

This is from his The Criminal Under My Own Hat, which is a fairly intriguing title, IMHO … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Helen Folasade Adu, CBE, aka Sade Adu, or simply Sade, was born on this day in 1959, in Ibadan, Nigeria. She grew up in Essex having been relocated there at the age of four by her English mother; she seldom grants interviews and is famously private.

Sade has not released an album since 2010’s Soldier of Love. In the same year, she was described by The Sunday Times (English, presumably) as “the most successful solo British female artist in history” - not too shabby for someone who’s recorded a grand total of six studio albums! Also, her debut album, Diamond Life, has been said to be the best-selling debut ever by a British female vocalist - I’m not sure whether the honour still stands. For that album, she’s been credited with bringing the  ‘quiet storm’ genre (a format named after Smokey Robinson’s album of the same name) to a wider audience - a blend of smooth jazz, soul and what is now termed sophisti-pop all wrapped up in an understated, elegant and very smart package. 

A clip from a live performance - the track is on her fourth album Love Deluxe ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
A class act if ever there was one. I have all her albums.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Ann Savoy was born on this day in 1952, in Richmond, Virginia. Singer/songwriter, musician, author and record producer, she lives in Eunice, Lousiana with her husband and bandmate, accordionist, Marc Savoy. She’s something of an authority on Cajun/Creole music and performs within different groupings; The Savoy Doucet Cajun Band (with Michael Doucet), The Savoy Family Band, with her husband and two sons, The Magnolia Sisters (I think there are five ladies in this one), and then, the reason I know of her at all, as The Zozo Sisters, with Linda Ronstadt. 

This Acoustic Guitar article refers to her as “… the Matriarch of a Kick-Ass Musical Dynasty … “ - http://acousticguitar.com/ann-savoy-is-a...l-dynasty/

Her album with Ronstadt, Adieu False Heart, is the first she’s made singing in English (although there are some French songs on it too). It’s beautifully done, IMHO and this is the title track … 

Mark Eitzel was born on this day in 1959, in Walnut Creek, California. From a military family, he was raised all over the globe - Okinawa, Taiwan, Ohio and the United Kingdom. Returning to the USA in 1979, he formed the band American Music Club (1982) which released a number of albums and disbanded in 1994, temporarily reforming in 2003. In the meantime, he’d taken up a solo career as well, sometimes collaborating with other artists, notably Peter Buck of R.E.M.

I know nothing of his music, or of AMC other than his most recent album, Hey Mr Ferryman, which I listened to a couple of months ago because ferrymen seemed to be popping up at the time! I quite liked the album which has the tag of indie rock/sadcore and which to my ears is melancholy but not miserable – also not foolish. Not hugely high profile, his albums certainly seem to have garnered respect and I may need to dip into his catalogue at some point – no idea when – time is fleeting!

A track from Hey Mr Ferryman – 

Melody Gardot was born on this day in 1985, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She learned how to play piano around the age of nine but got heavily involved in songwriting and playing the guitar in 2003 when she was badly injured by a hit and run driver while out riding her bicycle. She ended up in hospital with head and spinal injuries, a broken pelvis and hectic memory problems. She had to spend an entire year flat on her back and during that time she was encouraged by her physician to sing, hum, write songs and play guitar, which she learned to do lying down. He believed that this would be a form of therapy and healing for her, creating new neural pathways between her damaged cortices (those that control perception and higher mental function). She also had an increased sensitivity to sound and light, hence the pretty much permanent sunglasses. It certainly seems to have worked … she has produced what one might almost call ‘quiet’ music, however she’s nowhere as hushed (thank goodness) and IMHO much edgier than Diana Krall, for example. A contemporary jazz singer and a person who has endured and overcome a great deal of pain - I can listen to Melody with consummate ease and enjoyment, and all power to her ...

Shawn Phillips was born on this day in 1943, in Fort Worth, Texas. (Incidentally, he and the very recently late Dennis Edwards share a birthday, right down to the same year.)

Can't believe I haven't posted Shawn Phillips in this thread yet! He is quite possibly the most underappreciated musical talent of the century - he is a highly accomplished, innovative musician and has the most magnificent voice (it has latterly become a little rough, as is to be expected, but is still a powerful instrument). He does not appear to have in any way compromised his principles and beliefs for the sake of his career, nor has he produced anything other than the music he wants to make. This stance, along with his formidable intelligence is likely to have resulted in him being a less than popular commercial proposition in terms of support from the ‘machine’. Apart from anything else, I’m sure nobody knew quite what to do with him, and he’s had to dig deep to find the resources to sustain his work over the years, largely independently.

He married a South African and lived here for about fifteen years, I think, before they returned to the USA where he is now your neighbour MH – Louisville. He became a medic in the voluntary National Sea Rescue Institute while living in Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, and in his native Texas, he had worked as a fireman and emergency medical technician. He’s released 25 albums, the most recent of which came out late last year – Continuance. I have yet to listen – have only heard snippets.

He may not have been wildly popular in the country of his birth, but the opposite was true here, with the result that it would be a surprise not to find a copy of Second Contribution in any self-respecting record collection from that era. Thanks to a friend’s older brothers, this, along with a few other choice albums, became the soundtrack of my youth. The lead track has the distinction of one of the longest song titles ever (“She Was Waitin' For Her Mother At The Station In Torino And You Know I Love You Baby But It's Getting Too Heavy To Laugh”), and I'm convinced I recall the delicious enchantment of the first time I heard this one … 

Jeremiah Griffin “Jerry” Harrison was born on this day in 1949, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. Best known for his tenure on keys and various other instruments with Talking Heads, he also released three solo albums, the first two of which received critical acclaim. He went on to a producing role and has acquitted himself very nicely in that field thank you. Fine Young Cannibals, No Doubt and Crash Test Dummies spring to mind from having read a bio earlier - those are the ones that stuck and I'm too lazy to look it up again! Lol!

I quite liked his solo offerings from back in the day, even if they were TH clones, to a large degree … so, from The Red and the Black, which did it then, “Slink” which does it today …

Graeme Charles Edge was born on this in 1941, in Rocester, Staffordshire, England. He is the only original member of The Moody Blues still performing in the band (when and if they do). The last member of TMB I posted in this birthday thread unfortunately passed away prior to their rather tardy induction into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame which will take place shortly, on April 14th. R.I.P. Ray Thomas. I seriously hope there will be no further casualties prior to the event!!

In addition to drumming and various creative percussion, a lot of the spoken word poems you hear on The Moody Blues albums are attributable to Edge (he says they used Mike Pinder’s voice as it was far more interesting thanks to Pinder’s consumption of copious quantities of whiskey and cigarettes). Suffice to say, Graeme Edge made more than a passing contribution to the success of TMB right from the outset – he also had his own The Graeme Edge band that made two albums in the mid-seventies, along with the vocal and guitar/bass contributions of Adrian and Paul Gurvitz and one or two other notables, Blue Weaver, for example.

Some trivia courtesy of Wiki - "The first electronic drum is said to have been created by Edge in collaboration with Sussex University Professor Brian Groves. The device was used in the song "Procession" from the 1971 album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour."

And a fun factoidlet -  Mr Edge is a fervent Trekkie.

The title track from the second Graeme Edge Band album – Paradise Ballroom … from what I can ascertain Paul Gurvitz takes lead vocal on this release, along with bass, with Adrian doing lead and secondary vocals …

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 521 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 494 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 2,289 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 402 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO