Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Born on this day ...
(04-01-2018, 22:33)Ruby Wrote: Happy Birthday to the elusive and enigmatic Mark Hollis who was born on this day in 1955, in Tottenham, London, England. The lead singer and driving creative force behind Talk Talk and one of contemporary music’s more mysterious characters. After the band’s fifth album which was released in 1991, and his eponymous solo album released in 1998, he retired from the music industry, resurfacing on rare occasions but never really long enough to pin down. There are the odd interviews on YT which help to shed some light, but essentially, he is an unusual person who has his very own decided mind and opinions and who appears not to be swayed or influenced by the trappings and/or particularly, the adulation afforded by fame, fortune and the like; how very refreshing!

There was a whole lot more going on in Talk Talk than your regular 80’s synthpop outfit, but they were of that time and I expect fared less well commercially than they might have, having only brought out an album every two years – very careful and fastidious about what was recorded – nothing wrong with that! A mere five, almost perfect albums later – they were gone – and ultimately, I suspect it served them well. Hollis viewed his voice as an instrument that should, in effect, have been written (notated) into the score of whatever they were working on – his aim was for the voice to sit in the mix equal to any other sound, and for the most part, I think he managed to achieve his objective. On the other hand, he had a thing about improvisation and from what I can tell, I also think he is/was a perfectionist and probably not that easy to work with – incredibly intense. Anyway - all of that is moot, and ...

there's this – from The Colour of Spring

A phenomenal band - the solo on 'I Don't Believe in You' sends shivers up my spine. https://youtu.be/UqCBnLO_jqk
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^^Yes ... great album too, with quite a diverse and interesting personnel lineup. 

Joseph Henry "T Bone" Burnett III was born on this day in 1948. Legendary (and by all accounts extremely well respected) producer, musician and songwriter. He has said he came by his nickname ‘honestly’ at around the age of five, but that his memory of the exact origin is scanty. Not one to step into the spotlight much himself, and not that keen on live performance, he’s released twelve solo albums during the course of his lengthy career and contributed his musical talents to many others; he sings, plays guitar mainly, and some keys, and also arranges.  

Artists for whom he’s produced include: Elvis Costello, Elton John and Leon Russell, Counting Crows, Delbert McClinton, Maria Muldaur, Leo Kottke, Los Lobos, Marshall Crenshaw, Peter Case, Roy Orbison, the BoDeans, Bruce Cockburn and his wife Leslie ‘Sam’ Phillips. In addition he has produced movie and TV soundtracks, winning a Grammy for O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Nice comprehensive bio here - 
http://www.encyclopedia.com/people/liter...ne-burnett

This is from his The Criminal Under My Own Hat, which is a fairly intriguing title, IMHO … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Helen Folasade Adu, CBE, aka Sade Adu, or simply Sade, was born on this day in 1959, in Ibadan, Nigeria. She grew up in Essex having been relocated there at the age of four by her English mother; she seldom grants interviews and is famously private.

Sade has not released an album since 2010’s Soldier of Love. In the same year, she was described by The Sunday Times (English, presumably) as “the most successful solo British female artist in history” - not too shabby for someone who’s recorded a grand total of six studio albums! Also, her debut album, Diamond Life, has been said to be the best-selling debut ever by a British female vocalist - I’m not sure whether the honour still stands. For that album, she’s been credited with bringing the  ‘quiet storm’ genre (a format named after Smokey Robinson’s album of the same name) to a wider audience - a blend of smooth jazz, soul and what is now termed sophisti-pop all wrapped up in an understated, elegant and very smart package. 

A clip from a live performance - the track is on her fourth album Love Deluxe ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
A class act if ever there was one. I have all her albums.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Born To Run vs American Girl Sir_Farty_Fartsalot 2 490 01-10-2014, 02:34
Last Post: Jerome
  See what Country song was #1 on the day you were born Neil Cossar 2 473 08-04-2014, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Positive realization: Born in the best era for music enjoyment Drealm 14 2,239 20-04-2012, 01:35
Last Post: SteveO
  THE CULT - Born Into This (2007) SteveO 0 379 18-02-2012, 18:22
Last Post: SteveO