Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STEVEN WILSON: For fans of melodic, late 70's and early 80's influenced prog rock...
It's being hailed as THE WALL for the Facebook generation. Brilliant new album from the most brilliant mind in music today. Enjoy... but please make sure you go out and see Steven live when he comes to your area. Remember that artists make their money and support themselves mostly through their live performances. You give back to them for their music best when you make the time so see them live....

[video=youtube;YeF_92frtVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeF_92frtVg&list=PLflrhEBouxHMJ603ChvNQ8RT fFh_volJE[/video]
I agree that Steven Wilson is a genius! His new album is brilliant! Welcome aboard the great MD, webbew1! I am so happy that a member has acknowledged Steven Wilson! Live music is where it's at but unfortunately he won't be coming to my hometown...I saw Opeth , Wilson produces and collaborates with them...Michael Akerfeldt, ...awesome unforgettable show!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
webbew1 Wrote:It's being hailed as THE WALL for the Facebook generation. Brilliant new album from the most brilliant mind in music today. Enjoy... but please make sure you go out and see Steven live when he comes to your area. Remember that artists make their money and support themselves mostly through their live performances. You give back to them for their music best when you make the time so see them live....

[video=youtube;YeF_92frtVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeF_92frtVg&list=PLflrhEBouxHMJ603ChvNQ8RT fFh_volJE[/video]

While I do like elements of his music, his vocals are just plain flat and uninteresting. This comes nowhere close to being anything like The Wall, either in concept or musically. Mr Wilson has a long, long way to go before you can compare him to Pink Floyd. You want originality? Wait for Mr Waters latest creation - coming soon! Many people have tried to create something comparable to The Wall. They all miss one crucial element. THE CONCEPT! Even 'The Raven Who Refused to Sing' lacks any real direction. The music is OK, but the concept is missing. Mr Water's work is born out of real experience and frustration, the wanna-be's all miss that. They are toying around with made-up concepts and that is why they ultimately do not work. Having said that, PF's latest effort, The Endless River, is laughable. Complete junk that should never have been released. Embarrassing really.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
That new PF album sucks donkey balls. David Gilmore noodling around on his guitar for an hour or so with some guys he hired to provide a background for his egotistical ramblings. A sad epitaph to the Pink Floyd catalog if you ask me. Can't wait for the new Roger Waters though. Roger Waters hasn't missed a beat throughout the years. He doesn't release new material very often, but when he does it's a work of brilliance every single time.
webbew1 Wrote:That new PF album sucks donkey balls. David Gilmore noodling around on his guitar for an hour or so with some guys he hired to provide a background for his egotistical ramblings. A sad epitaph to the Pink Floyd catalog if you ask me. Can't wait for the new Roger Waters though. Roger Waters hasn't missed a beat throughout the years. He doesn't release new material very often, but when he does it's a work of brilliance every single time.

I agree 100%! What it lacks is a concept - not necessarily a 'story', but a musical path to travel down. That's it's main failing. And that awful saxophone is beyond hideous.
because i loved "the division bell" so much, i often think i should still get "endless river" because its from the same sessions(well,outtakes mainly i guess)...

and then someone here disses the album and i come ot my senses...lmao!
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Don't! You will not like it at all. I don't think Dani would like it either. Complete waste of money.
Wilson is one of the few bright spots in today's music! Like Opeth, he is influenced by 70s prog!

[video=youtube;uv5zrpigL6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv5zrpigL6o&index=3&list=PLflrhEBouxHMJ603 ChvNQ8RTfFh_volJE[/video]

Jerome Wrote:While I do like elements of his music, his vocals are just plain flat and uninteresting. This comes nowhere close to being anything like The Wall, either in concept or musically. Mr Wilson has a long, long way to go before you can compare him to Pink Floyd. You want originality? Wait for Mr Waters latest creation - coming soon! Many people have tried to create something comparable to The Wall. They all miss one crucial element. THE CONCEPT! Even 'The Raven Who Refused to Sing' lacks any real direction. The music is OK, but the concept is missing. Mr Water's work is born out of real experience and frustration, the wanna-be's all miss that. They are toying around with made-up concepts and that is why they ultimately do not work. Having said that, PF's latest effort, The Endless River, is laughable. Complete junk that should never have been released. Embarrassing really.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
While the description "For fans of melodic, late 70's and early 80's influenced prog rock... " is true as far as it goes, I think it does Steven Wilson a disservice, because I believe he has brought something new to the table - indeed, he brings something new with almost every release. The latest album, "Hand. Cannot. Erase." in particular sounds very 21st century.
I have to eat humble pie here - the latest Waters album is a mess. Oh well, all things must pass.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Lucinda Williams - Stories From A Rock N Roll Heart Music Head 0 323 17-07-2023, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: RICK WAKEMAN & The English Rock Ensemble ~ A Gallery of the Imagination Ruby 9 901 26-03-2023, 13:42
Last Post: JeromeD
  NEW SONG: Donovan & David Gilmour - Rock Me Ruby 1 498 15-12-2022, 10:05
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Kid Rock - "bad attitude" CRAZY-HORSE 0 333 23-03-2022, 12:22
  NEWSINGLE: Kid Rock - dont tell me how to live. CRAZY-HORSE 0 272 24-11-2021, 13:12
  NEW SINGLE: Damian Wilson - "Hard to Keep Faith" Ruby 4 423 19-12-2020, 07:44
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW ALBUM: RICK WAKEMAN & THE ENGLISH ROCK ENSEMBLE ~ The Red Planet Ruby 2 472 30-08-2020, 13:10
Last Post: R_burke
  NEW SINGLE: Pretty Reckless "death by rock and roll" CRAZY-HORSE 1 612 02-07-2020, 03:18
Last Post: SteveO
  Nordic indie rock / pop Pianoman 0 422 21-05-2020, 08:19
Last Post: Pianoman
Video Just another rock song or an add for AA ? Dissily Mordentroge 0 627 27-10-2019, 23:48
Last Post: Dissily Mordentroge