Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Magna Carta – Prisoners on the Line and The Fields of Eden. Lost track of them after Lord of the Ages and was surprised to find that these releases date to 2009 and 2015 respectively. I think there’s only one original member remaining, but the essence remains, thanks to him – Chris Simpson. I’ve listened to both albums online – these later albums are less progressive and more folk oriented, and they are a strange mixture of a bit staid and preachy, and on the other hand lyrical and magical. Hmmm – will have to listen again methinks – might have always been that way. Not a lot of clips available in my country for the later albums, and of course, they named themselves well before the advent of the www when it wouldn’t have been a problem, but try searching Magna Carta and see what comes up, lol!

Here’s one from Prisoners on the Line - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZGMZEqXak, and because Lord of the Ages still speaks to me more than any others I’ve heard … “Wish it Was” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isGK7ODtKAM, and the title track … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

So many people over the years have told me to listen to this album (post above) and for some inexplicable reason I never have. Need to take some time out today to listen to this once and for all.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Listened to Magna Carta via YT. Some of it I like but it's not the masterpiece I thought it would be. It also sounds a bit dated to me. This morning it's going to be Simon and Garfunkel - The Concert in Central Park. One of my favourite live albums.

our old friend Gryphon (before your time here Ruby), was a huge Magna Carta fan...
he was/is a personal friend of Chris Simpson...
Gryphon used to post pictures on the forum of him and Chris together in each others houses etc...

me, im not a fan, I just cannot get into them, like Jerome, some things are okay
^^Sounds like a loyal friend and fan.

I have three of their albums and it was a bit of a nostalgic revisiting I must say. Have to agree that Lord of the Ages has not stood up to its title very well and is definitely dated. Nostalgia tends to tinge things slightly! I still like a few of the tracks but probably not enough to play again in the foreseeable future.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

This morning it's Steely Dan's Greatest Hits. Some real gems on this one!
Camel - Harbour of Tears - right up my alley. Both figuratively and literally.
Eva Cassidy - Songbird. This girl could sing!
Tracy Chapman - her debut album - stunning piece of work. Those songs still sound fresh to me. I have a few others of hers but nothing beats the first one.
[Image: 220px-Sgt._Pepper%27s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band.jpg]

THE BEATLES  "sgt peppers lonely hearts club band"  vinyl/cd  1967

revisiting this one today...
the first cd I ever bought back in '87...
regardless of what anyone says about music, these guys and this album in particular,
revolutionised popular music with its inventive recording techniques...
even its gatefold  sleeve with printed lyrics and cover art turned album covers into an art form...
I read somewhere once "these guys didn't use every trick in the book, they wrote the book!"...
and that sums it, and the Beatles up perfectly IMO....
to the songs...
to me, its the one Beatle album that sounds dated, like it belongs in 1967, on the other hand it sounds as fresh
as it probably did the day it was released...
this one does contain their magnum-opus...A Day In The Life...
I don't think its their best album by a long way but it was unique...

from the album:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 601 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 450 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,118 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 413 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,518 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: