Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
^^I don’t know this record or Golden Avatar at all, but your description makes me think of one by an obscure band called Ananta – Night and Daydream. It was distributed on the streets by Hare Krishna’s mostly, I think – never sold - made in 1978. The chief songwriter was a Krishna devotee – a Venezuelan muso named Ilan Chester who is still knocking around the biz and doing quite nicely thank you, but who has since moved on from, while remaining inspired by Krishna principles.

Someone had plenty of dollars – it’s a ‘benefit’ album yet well put together and packaged, and there’s quite a line-up. I listened to it a couple of weeks ago after many years – don’t like the music and it’s easy to discern the underlying messages under the guise of being a contemporary ‘rock’ album (some people called it prog - I don’t agree). I always feel a bit insulted when people want to slide their beliefs in through the back door, so to speak - don't do that - it's rude, and it's insidious (and widely practiced in all walks of life, I know). They were even opportunistic enough to add a little note on the back which is quite misleading -  “For their inspiration and help with our Worldwide projects, special thanks to Carlos Santana, Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Neil Diamond, Stevie Wonder, Bob Marley". None of whom had anything at all to do with the music or the album! Anyway - rant over and IMHO the best track on it ... hear those little bells??  Big Grin

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
track would have fitted well on the Golden Avatar album Ruby, thanks for the share and making us aware that Golden Avatar wasn't the only leap into popular music that their devotees ventured
I vaguely remember seeing this album back in SA at some point.

Mike Oldfield - Islands
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
[Image: 51UXnHkj1DL._AC_US218_.jpg]

LARRY WILLIAMS  "the very best of..." cd,  2004:

cousin of Lloyd Price...
Larry had a handful of minor charting hits in the US but released a lot of singles...
this album is a 2cd set which contains thirty of his singles (A and B sides) so calling it "the very best of..." is way more accurate
than calling it "greatest hits"...
was only aware of a few of his songs prior to buying this disc a long time ago but its pretty good...
yes, he sounds like Little Richard at times and being billed as such probably stunted his career...
he died aged forty of a gun shot wound to the back of his head in his home, but the experts couldn't agree whether it was
self inflicted or homicide...

my favourite of his...

[Image: 220px-Kinksshowbiz.jpg]

THE KINKS  "everybody's in show-biz"  cd,  1972:

the band's tenth studio album...
the first in a line of concept albums...
the title explains the concept adequately, I needn't explain it for you, need I???.....
originally a double set on vinyl, the first album new studio songs, the second live tracks...
this one, my version has the double album on one disc, I have a second discs worth of live tracks,
but none of the second disc tracks are from the album, would have thought it would have made more sense
to incorporate complete package...
almost vaudevillian in places, music hall in others, a touch of rock in a place or two...
album failed to chart in their homeland and scraped the bottom of the charts in the US...
classic album, without a doubt, my favourite of theirs, I guess it simply wasn't understood back in the day...

superb live version of my favourite Kinks song of all time:

No Nukes: The Muse Concerts For a Non-Nuclear Future

[Image: NoNukesAlbum.jpg]

A triple live album from 1979 that I have on vinyl, some of which has stood the test of time and some of which has not. A lot has changed in the world since that protest concert, and again, a lot has not! We have since had nuclear accidents, the full impact of which have yet to be counted, and we still have trigger happy powermongers. On and on it goes!

I’ve italicised the tracks I like –

"Dependin' on You" (Patrick Simmons, Michael McDonald) – The Doobie Brothers
"Runaway" (Del Shannon, Max Crook) – Bonnie Raitt
"Angel from Montgomery" (John Prine) – Bonnie Raitt
"Plutonium is Forever" (John & Johanna Hall) – John Hall
"Power" (John & Johanna Hall) – The Doobie Brothers with John Hall and James Taylor
"The Times They Are A-Changin'" (Bob Dylan) – James Taylor, Carly Simon and Graham Nash
"Cathedral" (Graham Nash) – Graham Nash
"The Crow on the Cradle" (Sydney Carter) – Jackson Browne and Graham Nash
"Before the Deluge" (Jackson Browne) – Jackson Browne
"Lotta Love" (Neil Young) – Nicolette Larson and The Doobie Brothers
"Little Sister" (Doc Pomus, Mort Shuman) – Ry Cooder
"A Woman" (Connie Brooks, Patricia Johnson) – Sweet Honey in the Rock
"We Almost Lost Detroit" (Gil Scott-Heron) – Gil Scott-Heron
"Get Together" (Chet Powers) – Jesse Colin Young
"You Can't Change That" (Ray Parker, Jr.) – Raydio
"Once You Get Started" (Gavin Christopher) – Chaka Khan
"Captain Jim's Drunken Dream" (James Taylor) – James Taylor
"Honey Don't Leave L.A." (Danny Kortchmar) – James Taylor
"Mockingbird" (Inez and Charlie Foxx) – James Taylor and Carly Simon
"Heart of the Night" (Paul Cotton) – Poco
"Cry to Me" (Bert Berns) – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
"Stay" (Maurice Williams) – Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band with Jackson Browne and Rosemary Butler
"Detroit Medley": "Devil with the Blue Dress" (Shorty Long, Mickey Stevenson), "Good Golly, Miss Molly" (Robert Blackwell, John Marascalco), "Jenny Take a Ride" (Enotris Johnson, Richard Penniman, Bob Crewe) – Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
"You Don't Have to Cry" (Stephen Stills) – Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Long Time Gone" (David Crosby) – Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Teach Your Children" (Graham Nash) – Crosby, Stills & Nash
"Takin' It to the Streets" (Michael McDonald) – The Doobie Brothers and James Taylor 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
^^
big seller at the record shop I was working at the time

^I can imagine it must have been popular.
A bit of a muddly mix IMHO, but the intentions were good.
[Image: 220px-Ackiller.jpg]

ALICE COOPER  "killer"  cd,  1971...

the band's fourth....
still hints of psychedelia  in places...
but mostly full of the sounds he is still honing to create the Alice cooper sound...
love this one, my favourite of the first four to date...

from th album the eght and a half minute semi-pseudo psychedelic rock epic:

[Image: 220px-AliceCooperWelcome2MyNightmare.jpg]

ALICE COOPER  "welcome 2 my nightmare"  cd,  2011:

a sequel to the original from the 1970s...
album started out as a sequel to his previous effort "along came a spider"...
Steven was the central character of both of those, and once again he takes centre stage...
this time Steven isn't a serial killer but is looking back on his 'nightmare life' thirty plus years later....
AC's original band appears on several tracks so it has a distinct 1970s sound happening throughout...
apparently, the vinyl version of the album has a track at the end of the album called "flatline" in which
you can hear a heartbeat slowing down and ultimately stopping with people  saying the name Steven in the background
this apparently shows the death of Steven...
the track should have been on the cd also IMO to finalise what was a career spanning journey for him...
back to the album...
this is my all time favourite Alice Cooper album, every song is a cracker, and that includes the novelty track "caffeine"..

could have picked almost anything off the album to post:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 640 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 490 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,155 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 437 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,537 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: