Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 220px-72_schools_out.jpg]

ALICE COOPER  "school's out"  cd,  1972:

the band's fifth studio album...
all rock on this one, no psychedelia....
pretty much "all killer,no filler"...
solid album from the get-go...
the title track is one of those tracks that all artists aspire to write, maybe not the song
itself but that one track where they need never write another song and can live comfortably off
the royalties forever...
album got him noticed just about everywhere...
title track gave him his only UK #1 hit also...
"classic" album IMO

obvious pick this time round:

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - much, much better than The Wall. Superb mixing and production. Spine chilling album.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I stumbled across this band a couple of days ago ! Tortoise from Chicago. Fascinating instrumental sound encompassing many genres. The album grabbed me because of its' simplicity and relaxing mood! I noticed that the band have six albums released over a period of 25 years or so. Most of them garnered 4 and 5 stars from All Music. A very enjoyable discovery indeed. The five band members take a turn at the instruments so the credits just state their names only. This is an instrumental band and John at the music store said no vocals to get in the way...so very true sometimes! I find my mind wandering in delight like Keith Jarrett's Kohn Concerts ! There is something to be said about good instrumental music...it seems to beg for multiple listens  maybe because the music takes centre stage when vocals are absent!

The album I listened to.....Millions Now Living will Never Die...All Music review - 5 stars !

[Image: 220px-Millions_Now_Living_Will_Never_Die_-_Tortoise.jpg]

From the album....

The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
^Thanks for the heads up SteveO. Love Jarrett's Koln Concert - a delight - anything of a similar mind wandering ilk will be welcome listening indeed! I will definitely give this a hearing.  Smile
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
the music isn't my thing SteveO, but thank for the write up mate, great stuff
(02-02-2018, 23:20)Ruby Wrote: Ruby ! Let me know what you think !^Thanks for the heads up SteveO. Love Jarrett's Koln Concert - a delight - anything of a similar mind wandering ilk will be welcome listening indeed! I will definitely give this a hearing.  Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
[Image: 5149oc6rUnL._AC_US218_.jpg]

JOHNNY RIVERS  "the great johnny rivers"  vinyl, 1964.

US Rocker...
at his commercial peak from 65-68 but continued to be somewhat successful
well into the 1970s and beyond....
this album comes rom just prior to big period...
not a bad album but I really should bet some sort of anthology set at some point

the single:

Just listened to Continuance, Shawn Phillips’ most recent album. I kinda wish I hadn’t. Another rant against all our societal ills complete with rap – very slow (comparatively speaking) and erudite, but rap nonetheless. I think I enjoyed two tracks – one instrumental “Tribute to D” and one named “Bach to the Fusion”. He can actually still hit the high notes, evidently, just chooses not to. Feeling a bit disappointed. No clips on YouTube.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(05-02-2018, 16:26)Ruby Wrote: Just listened to Continuance, Shawn Phillips’ most recent album. I kinda wish I hadn’t. Another rant against all our societal ills complete with rap – very slow (comparatively speaking) and erudite, but rap nonetheless. I think I enjoyed two tracks – one instrumental “Tribute to D” and one named “Bach to the Fusion”. He can actually still hit the high notes, evidently, just chooses not to. Feeling a bit disappointed. No clips on YouTube.

I was curious so I listened to it after your post was written Ruby...

i was surprised how guitar driven the album was...
yep, he has a huge chip on his shoulders about, as you put it, "the ills of society", Neil Young has the same problem unfortunately!...
took several track for me to get used to his vocals again...
the song that stood out for me was "C'mon Round", the rest I can take or leave...
[Image: 220px-Sleeve_of_Making_Movies.svg.png]

DIRE STRAITS  "making movies"  cd, 1980:

the band's third and first I bought on vinyl back in the day...
was one of three cds I purchased as my first cd buys back in 1987...
superb songs here...
the first of what I call "the perfect trilogy of albums" by the band...
brilliant stuff...

from the album a superb live version:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 656 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 509 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,172 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 458 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,557 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: