Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 220px-Kid_Rock_Sweet_Southern_Sugar.jpg]

KID ROCK  "sweet southern sugar"  cd, 2017:

eleventh album...
early ones were hip-hop/rap crap, he ditched the rap crap and moved onto southern Rock/Outlaw Country
in the latter half of his career...
huge fan of the southern rock stuff, hate the rap crap....
he can still be crass and crude at times but his heart is definitely in Dixie even if he is from Detroit...
the Rednecks love him, I love him, guessing i'd have made a good Redneck?
album is not as good as some of his rock albums but its still pretty good, would probably rate a mid range like
if I was still scoring the albums I play.

from the album, the Redneck side of Kid Rock:

video contains all the stereotypical images of Redneck Hillbillies you know and probably shake your head in disbelief at!

^^Geez! May not be rap but I noticed a few ho ho ho's.  Tongue 

What I've been listening to is the polar opposite. Steve Howe and the late Virgil Howe's Nexus

[Image: R-11167025-1512840692-5876.jpeg.jpg]

Finally got around to listening to the whole album, and I've had it on repeat a few times - that's because it takes a while to settle into. Steve is responsible for the guitars and Virgil everything else. What an awful loss. This could have been the beginning of something quite extraordinary. It's difficult to be objective about the album in terms of criticism, well I find it so anyway - coloured as it is by untimely death. I admire Steve's decision to go ahead and release the album despite such a personal tragedy, so I'm just going to like it and appreciate it for what it is - a collaboration between a father and son who obviously had a special rapport, and in any event, there are some quite lovely pieces here. All instrumental - no voice.

The definition of a nexus is ‘a connection or series of connections linking two or more things’ which really is quite perfectly thought out, and in art terms the cover art takes the form of what is called decalcomania – ‘a blotting process whereby paint is squeezed between two surfaces to create a mirror image’. I only know this latter bit from my own dabblings.

The track titles are all space themed, one way or another. “Nick’s Star” is so titled for a friend of Virgil’s who was also taken too young. The world is such a village – turns out some friends of mine’s daughter was at school with Virgil and Nick, and this same friend was also working at Island Records when Yes was first attempting to get signed. Apparently they were totally disorganised – all over the place and stoned out of their brackets most of the time so whoever the head honcho at Island was, Chris Blackwell I expect, was reluctant to take them on. They got their act together eventually, obviously, and signed to Atlantic, but that’s an aside. I have a suspicion that this album will be enjoyed by musicians, more so than mere listeners, Steve has some really shining moments, as one would expect and his son was a talented individual, no question. I would definitely like to add it to my collection.

I've posted this track before somewhere, but anyway - here it is again ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-72_schools_out.jpg]

ALICE COOPER  "school's out"  cd,  1972:

the band's fifth studio album...
all rock on this one, no psychedelia....
pretty much "all killer,no filler"...
solid album from the get-go...
the title track is one of those tracks that all artists aspire to write, maybe not the song
itself but that one track where they need never write another song and can live comfortably off
the royalties forever...
album got him noticed just about everywhere...
title track gave him his only UK #1 hit also...
"classic" album IMO

obvious pick this time round:

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - much, much better than The Wall. Superb mixing and production. Spine chilling album.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I stumbled across this band a couple of days ago ! Tortoise from Chicago. Fascinating instrumental sound encompassing many genres. The album grabbed me because of its' simplicity and relaxing mood! I noticed that the band have six albums released over a period of 25 years or so. Most of them garnered 4 and 5 stars from All Music. A very enjoyable discovery indeed. The five band members take a turn at the instruments so the credits just state their names only. This is an instrumental band and John at the music store said no vocals to get in the way...so very true sometimes! I find my mind wandering in delight like Keith Jarrett's Kohn Concerts ! There is something to be said about good instrumental music...it seems to beg for multiple listens  maybe because the music takes centre stage when vocals are absent!

The album I listened to.....Millions Now Living will Never Die...All Music review - 5 stars !

[Image: 220px-Millions_Now_Living_Will_Never_Die_-_Tortoise.jpg]

From the album....

The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
^Thanks for the heads up SteveO. Love Jarrett's Koln Concert - a delight - anything of a similar mind wandering ilk will be welcome listening indeed! I will definitely give this a hearing.  Smile
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
the music isn't my thing SteveO, but thank for the write up mate, great stuff
(02-02-2018, 23:20)Ruby Wrote: Ruby ! Let me know what you think !^Thanks for the heads up SteveO. Love Jarrett's Koln Concert - a delight - anything of a similar mind wandering ilk will be welcome listening indeed! I will definitely give this a hearing.  Smile
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
[Image: 5149oc6rUnL._AC_US218_.jpg]

JOHNNY RIVERS  "the great johnny rivers"  vinyl, 1964.

US Rocker...
at his commercial peak from 65-68 but continued to be somewhat successful
well into the 1970s and beyond....
this album comes rom just prior to big period...
not a bad album but I really should bet some sort of anthology set at some point

the single:

Just listened to Continuance, Shawn Phillips’ most recent album. I kinda wish I hadn’t. Another rant against all our societal ills complete with rap – very slow (comparatively speaking) and erudite, but rap nonetheless. I think I enjoyed two tracks – one instrumental “Tribute to D” and one named “Bach to the Fusion”. He can actually still hit the high notes, evidently, just chooses not to. Feeling a bit disappointed. No clips on YouTube.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 640 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 490 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,155 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 437 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,537 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: