Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
And this is how to rock boys and girls - https://youtu.be/tUbpwNWmjfI
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
(13-03-2018, 12:17)Jerome Wrote: And this is how to rock boys and girls - https://youtu.be/tUbpwNWmjfI

I love to watch Clapton play, he makes it look all too easy...

ive seen 100s of concerts over the years and seeing Clapton 20 odd years ago is without a shadow of a doubt
one of my concert going highlights.
[Image: 615ASxckqgL._AC_US218_.jpg]

JOHNNY RIVERS  "the best of..."  cd, 1999:

US 1960s rocker...
recorded and had success with a lot of covers but also had a lot of original tracks also...
one of my Dad's faves from that era...
was a friend of Elvis until he screwed him over and The King never spoke to him again...
a good artist from that period and one who still managed to hit the charts despite the tsunami
that was The British Invasion...

from the album, one of the slower ones, would have loved to hear Gene Pitney do this one,
he'd have totally nailed it for sure!

[Image: 220px-Johnny_winter_3.jpg]

JOHNNY WINTER  "John Dawson Winter III"  cd,  1974:

seventh studio set...
I own four plus a lie set...
possibly my favourite blues rock-cum-hard rock artist....
like the last one I posted, love everything on the album including the handful of covers...
superb album from an underappreciated/under-rated artist.

love Presley's original 1973 version of this one, but Winter takes it to another level completely IMO:

Just for a laugh and a trip down memory lane - The Rocky Horror Picture Show
^I remember first seeing the movie at a drive-in, ye gods - far too many years ago! A memorable opening - that giant mouth. 

Barclay James Harvest – Gone to Earth (1977)

[Image: 220px-Bjh_gonetoearth.jpg]

A very satisfying listen IMHO – some good songs on this album. By this stage of their career, a journalist had referred to them as the poor man’s Moody Blues, a label that has clung to them over the years. John Lees took exception to that rather snarky comment and devised a riposte in the song “Poor Man’s Moody Blues” which unabashedly references “Nights in White Satin” all the way through. Despite that, the two melodies are different and the lyrics can’t be fitted in from one to the other. Needless to say, it has been fuel for much heated debate! Incidentally - turns out that Justin Hayward, who’d written “Nights in White Satin” at the age of 19, cut a publishing deal with Lonnie Donegan and signed away the lion’s share of his right to royalties to material written before 1974 (LD's heirs continue to rake in the dosh). A hazardous business, this!

I have the record – great gatefold cover with die cut inner that you can slide in either way – the owl on one side, a sunset on the other.

“Hymn” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJnXgqZ18RY

“Sea of Tranquility” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bf3x8Qynv8

"Hard Hearted Woman" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI91H3wAxpw

Said controversial song … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-200px-Kiss_destroyer_album_cover.jpg]

KISS  "destroyer"  cd,  1975:

the band's fourth studio set...
I do own the vinyl of this one also....
the one that launched them on to the charts all over the world....
sound effects, backwards drums, external musicians, orchestrations were added
thanks to new producer Bob Ezrin....
pretty much all the songs are live staples and have been for years....
Gene's signature tune "God of thunder" and Pete's signature tune "beth" are on this one...
a pretty good album but not as great as I remembered it to be for some reason??!!
and KISS were always a better live band than a studio band anyway...

I could have picked anything off this album to post but the stand out track for me has
always been the Peter Criss ballad...
superb live version complete with orchestrations!

STRAWBS – Hero and Heroine

[Image: 220px-Hero_and_heroine.jpg]

Fab album – haven’t listened to it in while. They had so much going for them – great musicians and songwriters – don’t make ‘em like this anymore. While Dave Cousins was always the leading light, so to speak – the others definitely had their say and around this time they made a bunch of fantastic albums; From the Witchwood, Grave New World, Ghosts, Bursting at the Seams and Nomadness. Hero and Heroine is a perfectly lovely poster child for the prog of its era (1974) and the only complaint I have is that at just under 40 minutes it feels too short. I want more!  Rolleyes  Finding myself with a definite preference for music from the seventies - been feeling the need to head back there for listening lately!

The opening sequence, which is truly sumptuous IMHO ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Elton John - The Captain and the Kid - favourite has to be Tinderbox. Classic Elton stuff.

To be followed by Lindsey Buckingham's 'Under the Skin' - quite like this. Different from the Mac stuff but yet similar.

(25-03-2018, 16:12)Ruby Wrote: STRAWBS – Hero and Heroine

[Image: 220px-Hero_and_heroine.jpg]

Fab album – haven’t listened to it in while. They had so much going for them – great musicians and songwriters – don’t make ‘em like this anymore. While Dave Cousins was always the leading light, so to speak – the others definitely had their say and around this time they made a bunch of fantastic albums; From the Witchwood, Grave New World, Ghosts, Bursting at the Seams and Nomadness. Hero and Heroine is a perfectly lovely poster child for the prog of its era (1974) and the only complaint I have is that at just under 40 minutes it feels too short. I want more!  Rolleyes  Finding myself with a definite preference for music from the seventies - been feeling the need to head back there for listening lately!

The opening sequence, which is truly sumptuous IMHO ... 

Fantastic album - ahead of it's time.
Simon and Garfunkel - Old Friends - Live on Stage - superb production - breathes new life into their classic tracks. Blown away by the sound captured on stage. Takes me back to wonderful times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 753 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 609 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,268 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 546 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,647 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: