Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
[Image: 220px-HopeKlaatuAlbumCover.jpg]

KLAATU  "hope"  vinyl, 1977:

picked this up at a second hand record store some time ago...
I was curious as to what it is/was after a lot of commentary on and off the forum over the years...
a concept album/rock opera of sorts about "the sole survivor of an arrogant race of beings who warns
space travellers of hazards on his last days of living"...
some prog sounds, some orchestral sounds, some orchestral rock, a couple of instrumentals...
hearing Beatles, Moody Blues, Queen, George Harrison and Jeff Lynne influences throughout this one...
a great album IMO....

hearing just about all of the above influences in this epic track:

hearing the George Harrison/Jeff Lynne influence in this track:

^As I'm sure I've mentioned more than once before, I have a soft spot for that album, and 3:47 EST. Two of the first prog type records I heard. 

I've been listening to The Best of Kansas. A fab compilation IMHO. 

[Image: 220px-Kansas-Best_Of-1984.jpg]

I could listen to "Dust in the Wind" on repeat for a while - and sometimes do! The artwork for the single - tying in with the Point of Know Return album cover ...

[Image: 220px-Kansas-dust-in-the-wind.jpg]

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
[Image: 220px-RaisinCain.jpg]

JOHNNY WINTER  "raisin' cain" cd, 1980:

tenth album....
Johnny didn't write anything on this album....
I know two of the tracks as being covers so I'm assuming this could be a covers set...
either way theyre new to me so I don't regard them as covers...
terrible album, but it is representative of album art work from the period....
I have four studio and a live set by Johnny and all are brilliant, including this one...
my question is, did he ever make a bad album???

love the album, especially his version of this Dylan classic!

Sleepwalking - Gerry Rafferty

[Image: 220px-Raffertysleepwalking.jpg]

Not as acclaimed as some of his other releases, but I like it - he always had something to give and is well worth listening to IMHO. Sounds assured but quite relaxed at the same time - could be totally wrong of course - he might not have been.  Rolleyes

The lovely "The Right Moment" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I2kKXWjwhM

And another one ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Two points Ruby - I prefer the live version of 'Dust in the Wind' from the album 'Two for the Show' over the original simply because that was the first version I heard. I bought the album many moons ago because I liked the cover and it has been one of my favourite live albums ever since.

As for the Rafferty album - pure class. Love it.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Yup - that's what they say - it's always the first version you heard that you prefer. 

Friends of mine have a set of 1st edition posters of Richard Avedon’s solarized photos of the Beatles (and actually met them, as well as some other big names - while working for Island Records), which are quite iconic … https://www.milwardfarrellfineart.com/richard-avedon. Looking at them the other day, it occurred to me that I’ve never actually listened to any of Ringo’s solo releases, so I decided to have a go, and chose Postcards from Paradise.

[Image: 220px-Ringo_Starr_-_Postcards_from_Paradise.png]

Well that’s that then! Lol! It wasn’t horrible, but as nice as I’m sure he is (was always cordial apparently, unlike Lennon who they say was a bit of an ass (as in donkey)), not to mention ably assisted by some musicians with serious heft, I was bored. Blush  There was one song that stood out – Steve Lukather co-writing, and his guitar too …

My favourite Ringo track is his vocal bit on 'It Don't Come Easy' from The Concert for Bangladesh.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Have not heard that album in quite some time.

The 3 Ages of Magick - Oliver Wakeman with Steve Howe

[Image: R-6364427-1417427662-2838.jpeg.jpg]

Some of it's a bit overblown I suppose, but I just feel like it today. Instrumental ... there's definitely something in the Wakeman DNA! 

Going back in the Wakeman annals, came across Rick’s 1984 which I have not heard in decades. 

[Image: 220px-1984_Charisma.jpg]

I must have liked it because all the words came back! Well – not all of them, but enough to surprise me. A mix of instrumental and vocal, and a bit of a hodgepodge of styles, it came out in 1981 and he took inspiration from George Orwell’s novel, of course. Chaka Khan lends her vocal prowess to this release, as do Steve Harley, Jon Anderson, Tim Rice and Kenny Lynch. Quite outside the regular Wakeman oeuvre and a lot more commercial than his classic early albums. Some tracks I really don’t care for much at all, while others are immensely pleasing, even if they do have a disco vibe, lol! ...  

[Image: 220px-Captured_live.jpg]

JOHNNY WINTER  "captured live!"  cd,  1976:

last of the five Winter albums I own and its a live set.....
being a blues rock live album there are a lot of jamming solos....
only six tracks on the album...
five are covers...
good solid live set...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 698 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 554 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,212 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 503 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,603 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: