Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Listening To?
Counting Crows - Mrs Potter's Lullaby - https://youtu.be/Xdt58T366xw
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
I am going to be away for a while. Off to look after some stuff. Keep the flag flying and see you down the road. Adios. https://youtu.be/p4zR9r9olOg
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
[Image: 220px-Queen_Queen.png]

QUEEN "queen"  cd,  1973:

their debut....
this was a deliberate album pick as I was hoping that having watched the Freddie biopic
twice recently that it may have changed my mind about the album....
I was almost going to post the album in 'hard rock/metal" as some of the material
could be classed as metal, but metal as in early 70s metal ie: Sabbath and Purple...
album is almost psychedelic in parts also...
lacks their trademark harmonies and melodies but once in a while they do come through..
Bo-Rhap, the bio-pic hasn't changed my opinion of the album at all because...
I DO NOT LIKE IT apart from three maybe four tracks...

one of the standout tracks for me:

PETE BARDENS – Speed of Light

[Image: R-5051910-1383181112-8953.jpeg.jpg]

His solo work gets short shrift from many quarters (or maybe lukewarm shrift Rolleyes ), but I’m fond of Mr Bardens’ albums. They sound quite simple and uncluttered (whether purposely or not) which is refreshing – working my way through what I can find and/or those I haven’t heard before. Interesting to note that Mick Fleetwood contributed drums and appears on several other Peter Bardens releases too. Neil Lockwood is another name that seems to pair with Camel alumni. Favourite for today …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(17-07-2018, 17:29)Ruby Wrote: KAYAK – Seventeen
[Image: R-11448836-1516529860-5529.jpeg.jpg] 
Yup – it’s the Dutch prog band’s seventeenth album and was released in January this year. Totally missed it – shocking! 

I haven’t heard a whole lot of their stuff, but am well acquainted with Ton Scherpenzeel (great keys and piano player) due to his contributions to some of Camel’s albums. Andy Latimer plays guitar on the only instrumental track on this album and Scherpenzeel says “We have a great musical and personal click. Andy personifies the word “feeling” for me, and that is what ‘Ripples on the Water’ is all about.”

Lots of symphonic and melodic rock bombast, interspersed with enough quieter passages to save it from becoming unbearable - such a fine line. I’ll need to have another listen – this one was somewhat interrupted, but there were a few tracks that stood out, not least "Ripples on the Water" – think I’d buy the album just for that!

“Falling” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9UIBvdwWO0

“To an End” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4S2G1UUMw
I have 3 of their early albums but haven't heard them in decades
good prog rock album for sure

fav for me

^Glad you enjoyed the listen.
I have three now too - not sure if I'll get any further through their back catalogue. 
Time is fleeting!!  Rolleyes
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Graham Nash David Crosby

[Image: Gnashdcrosby.jpg]

Their debut as a duo, released in 1972 - mind you duo is a bit of a misnomer as there is a hellluva personnel line-up including Danny Kortchmar, Lee Sklar, Dave Mason, Craig Doerge, Jerry Garcia, Russ Kunkel, Phil Lesh, and more! Funny - I've never listened to this album before. Plenty of their other stuff, but somehow this one passed me by. It's fab - I'm struck by David Crosby's voice which was strong and clear - so interesting to hear - not that Nash is a slouch, they're just completely different from one another these two - chalk and cheese. I'm amazed they ever got along at all, never mind make some of the most gorgeous harmonies in the history of rock music! There are eleven songs - six written by Nash and the remainder by Croz who is my pick of the day. 

For now this track really stands out - "Where Will I Be" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GAGyAiBAro

and "Games" - 

^^
Ruby mentions "theyre like chalk and cheese"...
im amazed the harmonies of CSNY were as good as they were because all four members vocals were like "chalk and cheese"...

never heard that song, loved it...
POCO - Blue and Gray

[Image: 220px-POCO_Blue_and_Gray_1981.JPEG]

Had not heard this one before but it's one in among a pile of recent vinyl acquisitions - chosen - not happened upon by default. Country rock - it's a concept album based on the American civil war. Apparently not very well received when it was released in 1981 - not in vogue at all at the time I should imagine! With the exception of one or three songs, I like it. Something like the Eagles and Firefall, and if I'm not mistaken, they had a few interchangeable members - or maybe that's just Poco and Firefall - I'll have to check. I'm not crazy about all of Poco's stuff but they did have something good going on here IMHO - if you like this sort of thing, which I do, when in the mood.  Rolleyes  

Title track ... 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I Am Listening Justin Bieber-What Do You Mean SongsPapa 0 817 27-10-2015, 15:48
Last Post: SongsPapa
  Really? Am I really the only one listening to the new Van Halen disc? gater 2 673 08-02-2012, 18:08
Last Post: jroknbok
  Eartha AOL Listening Party taco42 0 1,337 23-09-2010, 16:09
Last Post: taco42
  Ive been listening to motorhead 0 590 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post:
  Currently Listening to... 0 29,696 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: