Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music genre
Hello,

I wanted to ask, if anyone knows then genre of J.S.Bach and Ch. Gounod "Ave Maria" if it is played instrumental? Cannot call it nor aria, nor improvisation, therefore I cannot find the right genre to describe it.
Strangeris Wrote:Hello,

I wanted to ask, if anyone knows then genre of J.S.Bach and Ch. Gounod "Ave Maria" if it is played instrumental? Cannot call it nor aria, nor improvisation, therefore I cannot find the right genre to describe it.
Well, it's certainly not reggae. :biggrin:

"Classical" with a capital 'C', I guess. That is, from the Classical period as opposed to the Baroque period or the Romantic period.
Thank you for your answer!
Well, yeah, but thought it might have a specific name, because Classical is not that accurate, I believe, when it has a variety of genres itself.
Transcription

or arrangement
Strangeris Wrote:Thank you for your answer!
Well, yeah, but thought it might have a specific name, because Classical is not that accurate, I believe, when it has a variety of genres itself.
"Classical" with a capital 'C' does refer to a specific period though within what most call classical music.Most people apart from music historians would call Wagner or Rachmaninoff "classical music", but they are much later than what is denoted the Classical period. J.S. Bach probably ushered in that period; Mozart is considered the archetypal Classical composer. Beethoven is spoken of as marking the end of the Classical era and the beginning of the Romantic era, which followed it.

The difference is that Classical music tended to follow rather well established conventions. Many works were named after dances, eg. scherzo, pavane, valse (waltz) because they were written with the intention that they would be danced to. Symphonies were always in four parts, and each part was supposed to be in a particular tempo. Beethoven instigated the move away from all that, writing music intended to be heard for it's own sake.

By the time you get to the early 20th century, the music of people like Debussy and Ravel, which is generally considered part of the classical music genre, is as different from the Classical music of Bach and Mozart as Duke Ellington is from Bob Marley.
A fascinating world of music! I admire the originality and steadfastness of classical music! I can detect rock music in many of the compositions!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
It is to be considered definitely a classic .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Music Show riolu 1 824 29-10-2016, 09:40
Last Post: Jerome
  help a newbe find new music for self PLSE spookn 0 566 08-09-2016, 23:50
Last Post: spookn
  Headphones for Classical Music Homer Bluth 1 1,259 25-03-2016, 14:03
Last Post: R_burke
  World Music Flutist Wouter Kellerman Covers Vivaldi’s Winter In His Grammy Nominated ThomJones 0 3,490 29-12-2015, 00:27
Last Post: ThomJones
  So good! Vietnamese traditional music. Should see! LoveGuitar 0 842 14-08-2015, 05:07
Last Post: LoveGuitar
  Classical Hungarian music on piano Radó Richárd 1 857 17-07-2015, 21:58
Last Post: Jerome
  Contemporary - Minimalist Classical Music falconvray 1 1,062 06-07-2015, 14:48
Last Post: SteveO
  Brahms Violin Sonata Scherzo Sheet Music?? imiwiz 2 1,322 24-05-2015, 10:26
Last Post: imiwiz
  Classical Sad Music - Whither Must I Wander - Ron Meixsell Wiidoux 1 946 25-04-2015, 16:46
Last Post: Lindsay
  -rosso di sera 2015- international music campus QuattroQuarti 0 717 15-04-2015, 11:49
Last Post: QuattroQuarti