Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ginger Baker
just thought you should know

from music-news

Legendary drummer Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith, Ginger Baker’s Air Force) has undergone open heart surgery for a condition first diagnosed in February.

Baker fell in his home back in that month and, during examination, it was found that he was suffering from a serious heart condition. At the time, he said “Just seen doctor… big shock… no more gigs for this old drummer… everything is off… of all things I never thought it would be my heart…” He later added that he would be undergoing a pioneering treatment for the unnamed ailment saying that doctor’s would determine the best course of action depending on his lungs but that the doctor “says he’s going to get me playing again!”

Recently, Baker’s daughter Leda wrote on his website:

After open heart surgery and a bad fall Ginger is miraculously recovering very well.

He called the day after his surgery to say he was OK. Albeit a rather disoriented and unintelligible conversation he was at least awake and aware.

The fall has resulted in swollen legs and feet which he is seeing his doctor about in the next day or so.

But although he is recovering, any performances in the near future seem over ambitious.

When Baker will be able to once again play is unknown. Open heart surgery can take many months or more to fully recover. Baker is also suffering from osteoarthritis which makes it painful to play.

hope he pulls through ok...
... and I heard it said recently that Eric Clapton is not in the best of health either. Seems he has some condition which affects balance and coordination, making live performances rather difficult to do. He did say that he considers himself lucky, as by rights with all the abuse to which he has subjected himself, he should have carked it long ago.
My friend has that condition...called Vertigo...if it's what Slowhand has it's not life threatening and can be cured. What's Keith Richards' secret...he certainly didn't eat and drink veggies and milk all his life!!!...lol...let's face it the Rock icons are getting up there!
bob_32_116 Wrote:... and I heard it said recently that Eric Clapton is not in the best of health either. Seems he has some condition which affects balance and coordination, making live performances rather difficult to do. He did say that he considers himself lucky, as by rights with all the abuse to which he has subjected himself, he should have carked it long ago.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Get well Peter! I always loved this track...incredible drummer! His solo is at 2:58!

[video=youtube;LyRWboKYqyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyRWboKYqyE[/video]

Music Head Wrote:just thought you should know

from music-news

Legendary drummer Ginger Baker (Cream, Blind Faith, Ginger Baker’s Air Force) has undergone open heart surgery for a condition first diagnosed in February.

Baker fell in his home back in that month and, during examination, it was found that he was suffering from a serious heart condition. At the time, he said “Just seen doctor… big shock… no more gigs for this old drummer… everything is off… of all things I never thought it would be my heart…” He later added that he would be undergoing a pioneering treatment for the unnamed ailment saying that doctor’s would determine the best course of action depending on his lungs but that the doctor “says he’s going to get me playing again!”

Recently, Baker’s daughter Leda wrote on his website:

After open heart surgery and a bad fall Ginger is miraculously recovering very well.

He called the day after his surgery to say he was OK. Albeit a rather disoriented and unintelligible conversation he was at least awake and aware.

The fall has resulted in swollen legs and feet which he is seeing his doctor about in the next day or so.

But although he is recovering, any performances in the near future seem over ambitious.

When Baker will be able to once again play is unknown. Open heart surgery can take many months or more to fully recover. Baker is also suffering from osteoarthritis which makes it painful to play.
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
In the world of music it's hard to imagine a more diabolical marriage of talent of misanthropy than that wed in GB's persona.  Nonetheless, genius often comes caveat emptor and I absolutely adore Baker's work; the Cream catalogue is bedrock stuff and - for me, at least - that expanded edition of the sole Blind Faith release is indispensable for the hour's worth of instrumental improvs on disc 2.

I regret that my contemporaries are largely indifferent to GB's legacy as his influence was - is - manifest.  I've watched the following film a couple times with the same bittersweet feelings about Baker's talent and seemingly endless capacity for emotional self-crucifixion.  It's well worth your time, whether a fan or not.

i will do so Kate, thanks

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ronnie Baker Brooks does not want you to forget his father... jazzboCR 0 455 10-04-2015, 05:27
Last Post: jazzboCR