Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Classical Composers
ambernector Wrote:We have a top 5 thread for all other genres. So why not Classical?

There is no reason to rank artists by artificial rankings in categories--leave that for the small minds. Use guides such as MD to find stuff you never knew existed. Your way is anal-retentrive and that goes immensely so for as expansive a genre as Classical is. Great to have your fun but remember a lot of folks think you are locking yourself in the barn--you are denying yourself--that time is better spent finding the breadth and depth of a genre, not how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Instrumental music is largely considered classical and this site seems to use that same differentiation. Though I admit I haven't been here long so I might be wrong.

Mine are...

1. Prokofiev.
2. Edvard Grieg
3. Camille Saint-Säens
4. Strauss excluding III I've never heard his music
5. Berlioz.
Rachmaninoff
Chopin
1. Beethoven
2. Chopin
3. Camille Saint-saens
4. Tchaikovsky
5. Kreisler
My top 5 list would be:

1) Mozart(writing 626 pieces in just 30 years)
2) Beethoven(very expressive in any key without using expressivo)
3) Grieg and Vivaldi( Most famous pieces very much like a canon(Peer Gynt and The Four Seasons respectively))
4) Bach and Pachelbel(They are equals here because they are both very expressive baroque composers)
5) Chopin(Even though I like him very much, most of his pieces are too fast for me to play. I have tried practicing Grande Valse Brilliante but I just can't get past that Allegro hurdle and keep speeding it up to Presto. I have tried thinking "This is just a trill, you are good at fast trills, you can do it" but even with that, I still can't get past Allegro)
Composers AND their top composition
1 Bach - Air
2 Tchaikovski - Piano Concerto No 1
3 Beethoven - Pathetique (Piano Sonata No. 8 in C minor, Op. 13)
4 Chopin - Nocturne No 14
5 Bjorn JConfusedon Lindh - Brusa hogre lilla a (a wild card, perhaps one of the most undiscovered classical beauties - don't miss it)

Now, I know Mozart, Vivaldi, Wagner etc etc are considered great Composers but this list is based on Composers, their compositions and how listening to their harmonies affects me
And the ranking between them varies over time...

And if you've never Heard no 5 on the list - give it at least one moment of your time - it's just beautiful
1. Beethoven
2. Bach
3. Vivaldi
4. Chopin
5. Mozart
Hi everyone, for me Top 5 Classical Composers are :

Ludwig Van Beethoven
Frederic Chopin
Joseph Haydn
Franz Schubert
Franz Schubert
How about top five operas? Listening right now (in the UK) to Bizet's Carmen, live from the New York Met., I was moved to wonder what other music-lovers might think. My own suggestions:

1 Mozart's Marriage of Figaro
2 Puccini, Tosca
3 Strauss, Rosenkavalier
4 Wagner, Meistersinger
5 Bizet, Carmen

Thinking here as much of the drama as of the music, of course.

Σ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Key signatures in classical works Skip Skipson 12 2,522 23-06-2016, 15:05
Last Post: Skip Skipson
  Headphones for Classical Music Homer Bluth 1 1,249 25-03-2016, 14:03
Last Post: R_burke
  My five favourite composers are............... Heko 2 1,401 26-11-2015, 22:53
Last Post: Clive Harrison
  Classical Hungarian music on piano Radó Richárd 1 837 17-07-2015, 21:58
Last Post: Jerome
  Contemporary - Minimalist Classical Music falconvray 1 1,039 06-07-2015, 14:48
Last Post: SteveO
  Classical Sad Music - Whither Must I Wander - Ron Meixsell Wiidoux 1 932 25-04-2015, 16:46
Last Post: Lindsay
  Classical music and biography ronPrice 8 2,347 04-04-2015, 22:22
Last Post: Jerome
  What is your favorite classical music piece? angelgirl 1 748 20-03-2015, 21:10
Last Post: Lindsay
  New Classical Fan, Who are some great composers? jroknbok 41 9,126 22-12-2014, 15:34
Last Post: Semitone
  Top 5 classical music play list ambernector 3 1,785 28-09-2014, 04:06
Last Post: jazzboCR