Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you write songs? How do you start and don't give up too soon?
Hey guys I wanted to ask you if you have ever written own songs? How do you start writing them? I know there are as many opinions as musicians but start like that:

1. Search for inspiration: topics for lyrics or music styles, melodies I heard and liked
2. I write the lyrics or at least some lines I can later use for the melody.
3. Then I play some chords and try to find a progression I like
4. Then I try to play in in different rhythms to find a cool way of playing it. And add a melody.
5. For the chorus I mostly take this chord progression I wrote.
6. As verse I try to find some other chords progression or I just change the dynamics of chorus to make it sound like a verse.
7. I think of how to structure the song – chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus is the most frequent I guess.
8. Then I practice the song a bit.
9. And I record it to evaluate it later on.
10. I try to do such exercises as often as possible to get better. (here is the full version of my how to write a song routine, with some detail info, in case you want to read).

My problem is, I mostly don't get to the recording point because I give up on the idea Big Grin How do you deal with it? Songwriting can be pretty frustrating haha.
Don't give up,keep at it I went twenty years between songs and then one night a melody hit me,no I haven't written any million sellers but I've written.
A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lookin for reviews on my Songs/Demos Francisco Fonseca 0 699 25-08-2016, 13:34
Last Post: Francisco Fonseca
  How do you start off a song? Seamusblonde 49 18,196 14-02-2016, 10:43
Last Post: Jerome
  I want to write songs for professional singers CaptainTomate 1 1,216 27-08-2015, 01:00
Last Post: CoBoLiShi
  Original songs Jaina Brock 1 930 23-03-2015, 17:47
Last Post: vincent
  Answer songs interval 1 744 11-10-2013, 00:50
Last Post: SteveO
  Can anyone give me some song feedback? kashykeegan 3 1,899 25-10-2011, 06:23
Last Post: freakingidol
  Start Of The Beginning. New beat!!! mista jones d 0 1,042 18-08-2011, 02:27
Last Post: mista jones d