Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The new project
If you feel like going to this page http://auralscapes.com/page10.htm you can hear a few samples/snippets of my new project, 'Zen Frequencies'. No 'live' instrumentation on this one. All synths (hard and soft variety) and nothing but. An attempt to emulate Jean Michel Jarre's work from the 70's. As CH would say - this CD would only be good as a beer coaster! No sweat buddy - each to his own. Still a long way to go on this one but it's coming together although at some times it feels like it's coming apart. The cover pic (or what will be included in the final cover) is an image of the Namibian desert taken from the KoreaSat satellite and is where I spent some of my wasted youth and a lot of money on 'Sweet Mary Jane'. Only really for electronic geeks and such. All comments, criticisms, mud-slinging and name calling welcome.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Not bad, but I am a fan of Jean Michel Jarre's work. You might consider a name change, Zen Frequencies made me think this was going to be more ambient along the lines of Steve Roach and this has a lot more "dance" to it. Good luck in your future endeavors
I did not think anyone would actually post an answer to this thread. I will take your comments into consideration and thank you for your advice and for taking the time. You make some valid points and it will give me food for thought. Always good to get some feedback from folks.
I thought you put up a similar post then deleted it a couple of days ago????
I loved the picture you posted for it then but the track wouldn't automatically play...
I cant access it on phone, but when I get home I'll play the track on my laptop mate.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:I thought you put up a similar post then deleted it a couple of days ago????
I loved the picture you posted for it then but the track wouldn't automatically play...
I cant access it on phone, but when I get home I'll play the track on my laptop mate.

Trust me CH - it's not your thing. Yes, I did put it up but some people could not play the audio for some reason so I have used a different player this time.
ok....
I listened to it....
I liked the way it alternates between ambient and uptempo which does keep me intrigued as to what is coming next...

youre right, its not really my thing.....

it does 'flow' without sounding patchy(bits stuck together), it sounds like a cohesive fluent piece of work...

I admire your talent and your courage to put up original material mate....cudos to you and the effort you obviously put into this piece of work....
and yes, there is a market for what you do, infact I preferred it over the Oxygene 1-4 that I listened to, by all means, you can take that as a compliment Jerome!
Thx CH, but it's just snippets of the overall work. (It is bits stuck together! - excerpts from the album) - Oxygene is my favourite electronic piece - always will be - this does not come anywhere close to the minimalistic beauty of that album. Also R_Burke made mention of 'dance' music. I would not even know how to begin to create dance music. It's just not my thing. I like rhythmic/percussive elements but 'dance' does not even enter my head. BTW - Into Imagined Lands was a combination of different elements - classical, ethnic, electronica, progressive rock and some ambient bits here and there. Zen Frequencies is very much a pure electronic experiment.
Great compositions J Man! I listened to Zen Frequencies on headphones twice and I can distinctly hear two separate pieces, The first is a great uptempo happy track and then at the 4:30 mark I hear an ambient somewhat ethereal track that I really loved! You are a great composer Jerome! Continue on with your fascinating projects!
Jerome Wrote:If you feel like going to this page http://auralscapes.com/page10.htm you can hear a few samples/snippets of my new project, 'Zen Frequencies'. No 'live' instrumentation on this one. All synths (hard and soft variety) and nothing but. An attempt to emulate Jean Michel Jarre's work from the 70's. As CH would say - this CD would only be good as a beer coaster! No sweat buddy - each to his own. Still a long way to go on this one but it's coming together although at some times it feels like it's coming apart. The cover pic (or what will be included in the final cover) is an image of the Namibian desert taken from the KoreaSat satellite and is where I spent some of my wasted youth and a lot of money on 'Sweet Mary Jane'. Only really for electronic geeks and such. All comments, criticisms, mud-slinging and name calling welcome.
" WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD, MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT HAPPINESS WAS THE KEY TO LIFE. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THEY ASKED ME WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP. I WROTE DOWN "HAPPY". THEY TOLD ME I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT AND I TOLD THEM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND LIFE."

- JOHN LENNON
Thx Steve - there are actually 6 or 7 'extracts' of various tracks in the audio file on that page (all rolled into one to give people a glimpse of what is coming). I have a couple of them completed now and will be posting them on the same page from time to time. Not everyone's cup of tea though. Ah well - it gives me something to do. BTW that 'ethereal' track you mentioned at 4.30 is actually the opener for the album. So I guess I should start by posting that first.
The process of composition is a strange one indeed and inspiration and ideas can come from the most unexpected places. I got up at around three this morning to work on Zen Frequencies - part two. I already had the framework for the piece but I could not figure out how to transition from that to part three. Part 2 is quite slow and part three is quite rhythmic. No matter what I tried it just did not seem to fit (BTW this has been going on for months). Anyway, whilst trying different patches and different synths - all to no avail, my master keyboard controller decided to stop playing a particular note (F sharp in this case) in one particular spot on the keyboard. So because I was getting nowhere with the piece, and amidst much cursing and cussing, I decided to strip the keyboard and found a bit of dirt on the conductive rubber pads (yes you heard that right - rubber that acts as a conductor) that send velocity/note on-off information to the CPU of the thing. While I was doing this I had the original piece playing in the background on a small stereo system that I use for checking basic mixes, trying to subconsciously think about how to go about changing the music to suit the next track while I was working on the keyboard. Once I had the keyboard repaired I had to try out all the keys and I happened to have an arpeggiator setting on, on the selection switches when I hooked it up to an audio interface to hear if the keys were working correctly.. And hey presto - the keyboard synced perfectly with the stereo and I had my solution to a problem that has bugged me for ages. Bizarre.

Morale of the story - rubbers have always got you covered!

http://www.openmusiclabs.com/learning/di.../keyboard/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm working on a project, please opinions and reviews - "Summer on you" ET MUSIX 2 412 11-11-2016, 17:42
Last Post: ET MUSIX
  The Twisted Project - Over The Bridge The Twisted Project 2 756 06-04-2014, 20:32
Last Post: The Twisted Project
  The Twisted Project - Bow Down The Twisted Project 0 441 02-04-2014, 21:04
  The Twisted Project - Under Continuous Fire The Twisted Project 2 575 23-03-2014, 19:32
  The EDM Project theEDMproject 3 1,041 08-08-2012, 02:15
Last Post: suzy7