Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need your opinion guys !
Hey guys !

I would like to learn how to play guitar but because I have a very tight schedule I can't have a real teacher in a classroom... So I was thinking about self-learning or taking online classes. I even thought about watching Youtube tutorials to start with... What do you think about it ? Do you think it is worth it to take online lessons ? I would like your opinion please ! btw, i don't know anything about guitar now. I am a real beginner. I just took piano classes long time ago !

Thank you for the advice ! Smile Smile
Buy a book called The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. That's what I used to teach myself years ago.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Hey Jerome ! Thanks for your answer. I am happy ! I was afraid no one would answer this post...

I would prefer to have an interaction, like watching some videos on Youtube. And also, I think it is easier to watch someone do the moves on the guitar so I can imitate more easily. Do you have any experience with that ? Smile
I agree with Jerome. I pay the guitar.
Buy a book Confusedmile:
  Tongue ......
[Image: avatar_2186.jpg]I try to be good but I get bored   

I am old-school (in my mid fifties) so books work better for me. I am sure you can learn things by watching YT videos but books explain the theory better and most YT videos are short. The 'monkey see monkey do' approach just does not work for me. Anyway, whatever method you decide to use, there is one thing you MUST learn. Most people who are learning to play guitar try memorising chords and they simply stop at that point and do not progress any further. If you take time to learn scales on the fretboard it will unlock the true potential of the instrument for you. It will allow you to improvise over a piece of music instantly - effectively making up a melody pattern intuitively as the music is playing because your fingers will just know which way to go to achieve a desired effect. Learn the rules first - then you can make and break the rules as you want.

I started by learning chords and playing songs from guitar songbooks etc. Then one day I started reading up about scales in the book I mentioned. So I would put on a piece of instrumental music and slowly but surely I would play along to the melody - at first trying to copy it and then eventually when I understood how the scales worked on the fretboard and what key I was in, I was able to improvise over the melody or invent little bits between what was originally recorded. It also made the instrument a lot more fun to play. And that eventually lead to composing my own stuff many years later and moving on to other instruments. (keyboards, mandolin etc.) - Good luck, but above all else have fun. You are at the start of an incredible journey that does not end.
Hi
My opinion is that a book is always good to have, for offline periods and a chord tutorial is also good to have included...
But a "live" teacher showing finger positions and transitions is better than photos and written text, even if it is Youtube but then a combo is probably the way to go and then experience will tell what suits best

And I definitely agrre with Jerome, I have experienced this stagnation in my playing - which sometimes gets boring, playing the same songs in the same way, switching between fingerpicking and strumming and/or songs is not enough variation to keep up the fun in the long run... and I have yet to learn the scales and solo playing after more than 30 years of fingerpicking...
Bought myself my first Electric guitar and a simple amp - that is a new variation to me. different techique and FUN (especially when maximal distortion a volume is allowed Smile )
MFS Wrote:Hi
My opinion is that a book is always good to have, for offline periods and a chord tutorial is also good to have included...
But a "live" teacher showing finger positions and transitions is better than photos and written text, even if it is Youtube but then a combo is probably the way to go and then experience will tell what suits best

And I definitely agrre with Jerome, I have experienced this stagnation in my playing - which sometimes gets boring, playing the same songs in the same way, switching between fingerpicking and strumming and/or songs is not enough variation to keep up the fun in the long run... and I have yet to learn the scales and solo playing after more than 30 years of fingerpicking...
Bought myself my first Electric guitar and a simple amp - that is a new variation to me. different techique and FUN (especially when maximal distortion a volume is allowed Smile )

Can we hear a sample of your playing anywhere online? Oh yes, for a new experience, buy an eBow. Very cheap and very effective on an electric guitar. And a lot of fun as well.
Jerome Wrote:Can we hear a sample of your playing anywhere online? Oh yes, for a new experience, buy an eBow. Very cheap and very effective on an electric guitar. And a lot of fun as well.
Not sure if you were looking for a sample of me playing, but listen to Cherokee by Europe... that's a decent sample Smile
Joking aside, I do not have a good sample of it, not even a sample - and if I had it would probably not be good - need Another 20 years or so Smile
But I have an idea, why don't we give some examples of what we like to play - and perhaps it may end up as a list of good songs to practcie and even better, we add both simple first-timers and progress to more complicated songs...

One of the first songs I learned was Animals - House of the Rising sun (a simple one when just playing strumming chords)
I don't really play songs much anymore - I dabble with synths and guitars making instrumental music.
I meant a sample of your playing BTW.

And just as a footnote to the guy who wants to lean guitar - try to play with other people who are better than you - it will improve your playing no end.
Ok. but as I said - no such sample exist... And, as a consequence of living as a family father for some decade now, I don't get to play that much anymore...
And I definitely agree - playing with others are great for improvement, and also really fun... I have a sixteen year old son that plays the piano and is really good at it, but somehow he Always manage to avoid playing with me... hope that disease will pass away when he gets older
Finally - even if this gets a bit off topic - great to hear you working with Synth's - are we speaking of real "synthesis" of your own sounds - like tweaking envelopes, saw curves and such, or just enjoying the fun a god DAW offers?

NOTE: Maybe a discussion to be moved to other thread/topic - but how bout you - any samples of your musical Creations to listen to?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hi guys!!! Long time no speak! Please listen to my songs... Bellini48 4 775 04-04-2014, 09:20
Last Post: Bellini48
  Just finished a concerto for trumpet, interested musicians opinion. Mirek 3 865 14-12-2013, 16:46
Last Post: Bellini48