Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABBA - Visitors
The album where they, in my opinion, left the pop/disco tunes behind and embraced a deeper form of lyrics... Perhaps darker and more melancholic also... But still, so many great songs on this one...
This rendition is not from the album recording but Like an angel passing through my room in this version is still so soft and beautiful...
[video=youtube_share;cg9Nxy0LsnA]http://youtu.be/cg9Nxy0LsnA[/video]

Note: Madonnas cover version is also a lovely one...
The Visitors is a superb album MFS...
I was never a big fan of ABBA but I bought this one and Super Trouper on vinyl back in the day, loved them so much I ended up with them on cd also
ended up getting Voulez-Vous on cd as well,
VV was the start of moving away from their lame pop sound IMO, it was more mature...
but yes, I love The Visitors.
I agree in much of what you say, but VV contains plenty of cheese - the best cheese there is of course - with songs like As good as new, Angle eyes, Chiqitita and more, VV is for me more of the old school Abba, while Visitors is probably even more tainted with an insight of something was ending ...
Two for the price of One and maybe Head over heals are perhaps the only from Visitors I consider a bit Catchy... The rest is of a different kind... The D-day is coming-style... One of Us is sooo telling the story at the moment...

But, ST album contains their three best songs ever... If you ask me...
Glad you did reply, CH...
I think ABBA was a rare example of a band that actually improved with each release, or at least never went backwards. They did not progress in quantum leaps, but Super Trouper and The Visitors are a world away from the pleasant but insubstantial pop that marked their first couple of albums.

I think ABBA - The Album was the first album on which they were starting to sound ambitious with songs like Eagle, The Name of the Game and I'm a Marionette.

Much of Voulez-Vous seemed a little bit too disco-oriented for my taste. It does, however, contain the song Angel Eyes, which would have to be one of my top three ABBA songs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abba MFS 1 559 25-10-2016, 11:03
Last Post: Jerome