Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youngster playing his own tune on the piano
Hi all - and hi Jerome. Have now put up a sample of my sons piano playing on Soundcloud where he performs one of his own tunes
Bear in mind tho, I haven't had him yet to put enough practice on the track to hit all keys on spot and the tempo is slightly shifting - guess I'll turn on the metronome for him to follow during a period

And I also discovered there is something strange happening when I export the Wav-file onto a memory stick - seems like some parts gets a bit duplicated - will work on that part

The tune is still under "construction" and the same goes for the title
https://soundcloud.com/user-77464674/nn1
I really, really like his style of playing. I like the way he blends the top and bottom half of the keyboard. There is an emotive element to his playing. Just the right amount of bass notes to underpin the melody as well. Yes there are some timing issues and the odd bum note, but this will improve over time and anyway he has the 'ear' - something you can't teach someone - you either have it or you don't. Encourage him to play more - does he go to lessons or is this all his own doing? Oh BTW what is your son's name? You can tell him I think he is doing great and he needs to develop this ability. The recording is actually pretty good too. If you put a stereo widener on solo piano parts it really makes them come alive as well.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Move over Elton John!

Well, maybe not, at least not yet, but this is good stuff. Sort of reminds me of Richard Clayderman, except that it's interesting rather than bland.
Thank you guys, as with everything else practicing improves the skill.
He has been playing for a teacher for a couple of years but merely 20 minutes a week and I feel they could've put more emphasis on timing and different playing styles instead of rehearse different songs for end-of-term show.
I'd say most of it is self learned and you're completely right, J, there is a special talent within music and art that you have or not. When he composes his music he can't tell how the ideas come to him, they're just there when the spirit is right.
And Bob, I see what you mean with mr Clayderman and his Especially for you-covers, he has great skills but it seems to me a bit mechanical when listening.
And finally, about the recording, there is actually no recording done, no microphone involved. The Yamaha E-piano saves the tune as Midi I guess, and if I upon the export process select Wav as output format, I guess the internal audio processor "bounces" the midi to wav...
I could post some more if you're willing to listen and give more feedback later on. Just have to pull him out of his teenager habits soon...
By the way, next weekend we will play Halleluja together during a ceremony for one of his younger brothers, looking forward to it
Jerome Wrote:BTW what is your son's name?
His name is Erik
I think your son has good instincts and ability, and I can hear that he got totally involved with that melody. I think it took hold of him, rather than the other way around! That's a good thing. He will definitely benefit from learning the proper frameworks, IMHO. Get to grips with basics, as boring as they sometimes are, practice, and then venture out from a solid grounding - can’t go wrong. Sounds like his fingers want to go places that he can’t at present because he needs more technical skill. My daughter plays by ear too and is just starting formal piano lessons … it’s already paying dividends … lightbulbs going off in her head! I hope he continues.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Ruby Wrote:My daughter plays by ear too and is just starting formal piano lessons … it’s already paying dividends … lightbulbs going off in her head!
tell her to use her fingers
the lightbulb things are being caused by her head being tilted to one side

Ruby Wrote:I think your son has good instincts and ability, and I can hear that he got totally involved with that melody. I think it took hold of him, rather than the other way around! That's a good thing. He will definitely benefit from learning the proper frameworks, IMHO. Get to grips with basics, as boring as they sometimes are, practice, and then venture out from a solid grounding - can’t go wrong. Sounds like his fingers want to go places that he can’t at present because he needs more technical skill. My daughter plays by ear too and is just starting formal piano lessons … it’s already paying dividends … lightbulbs going off in her head! I hope he continues.
Thanks for your input, Ruby. I agree he could gain a lot from learning all the basics - including reading notes and such - but as the teenager he is, he's not very keen on that full dedication. He says he wants to keep playing by "ear" and he also quit the piano lessons recently.
One thing I've learnt as a parent is that if you push to much it may have the opposite effect - two of my sons quit playing soccer partly due to this. You should only encourage them to have fun and if possible, introduce some new elements in their practicing as they progress.

May I ask how old your daughter is, I guess I should have added more basics when he was younger.
MFS Wrote:I guess I should have added more basics when he was younger.
Yes and no. Obviously the earlier they start learning, the sooner they will become proficient. However there is no point in starting formal lessons until the child has the enthusiasm, otherwise you run the risk of turning them off the instrument.
bob_32_116 Wrote:Yes and no. Obviously the earlier they start learning, the sooner they will become proficient. However there is no point in starting formal lessons until the child has the enthusiasm, otherwise you run the risk of turning them off the instrument.

You've got a point there. But I guess I could have had him playing by scores by now with less objections had he been addressed that earlier - you know, teenagers knows more and better than their parents (it's really not that bad, actually).
Lazyness sets in during teenage as well.

But most important if you want them to continue is that they are having fun...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Check this out if you like piano tunes :) Valkyrie 1 835 10-03-2016, 01:40
Last Post: BrooklynRaven
  New piano instrumental of the song " hello" by adele Dimos Zagaris 0 811 02-12-2015, 09:28
Last Post: Dimos Zagaris
  Check our new piano & cello instrumental in all of me Dimos Zagaris 1 847 27-09-2015, 18:28
Last Post: angelo2209
  Our new instrumental piano cover song "let her go" Dimos Zagaris 0 736 08-09-2015, 13:03
  Read all about it - piano and cello instrumental Dimos Zagaris 4 1,815 03-09-2015, 14:28
  VIDEO: Top 13 piano songs - solo piano eislamov 0 481 14-05-2015, 15:21
Last Post: eislamov
  Wah wah pedals for piano Jen Stevens & The Hiccups 3 2,759 25-01-2011, 20:22
Last Post: Jerome
  Gaining Confidence for Playing live TheRiverLot 3 2,251 09-07-2010, 22:43
Last Post: GuitarProductions
  Musicians Favourite playing music ambernector 1 2,732 21-05-2009, 04:43
Last Post: Fortress