Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting article in Scientific American about pop music
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs...ng-louder/

The research and findings are described in more technical detail in the Scientific Report, from which the article draws - "Measuring the Evolution of Contemporary Western Popular Music":

http://www.nature.com/articles/srep00521

This paragraph summarises the findings, and is worth quoting in full:
Quote:After peaking in the 1960s, timbral variety has been in steady decline to the present day, the researchers found. That implies a homogenization of the overall timbral palette, which could point to less diversity in instrumentation and recording techniques. Similarly, the pitch content of music has shriveled somewhat. The basic pitch vocabulary has remained unchanged—the same notes and chords that were popular in decades past are popular today—but the syntax has become more restricted. Musicians today seem to be less adventurous in moving from one chord or note to another, instead following the paths well-trod by their predecessors and contemporaries.

In other words, it seems to say what I and lots of other people have been saying for years - that the 1960's were a period of musical creativity that has never been surpassed, and by and large, popular music has been becoming less imaginative and less interesting ever since.

He acknowledges the possible existence of the "test of time" bias, i.e. the fact that an old song that had "quality" (whatever that may be, is more likely to be remembered and to be included inthe "Million Song Database" than an old song that was no good. Even so, he says the trends he identifies are evident even over relatively short time periods, suggesting that the test of time effect is small.

Discuss.
totally with you on this bob
the 60's rule

Out of curiosity I did a search to find what was on the Australian music charts 50 years ago. The only national chart back then was published by Go-Set magazine, and there were no album charts then,only singles charts.

Here's the Australian top 40 for the week ending 22 Feb 1967:

[URL="http://www.poparchives.com.au/gosetcharts/1967/19670222.html"]http://www.poparchives.com.au/gosetcharts/1967/19670222.html
[/URL]
Just consider the astonishing variety on this list. You get the novelty pop of The Royal Guardsmen and Clinton Ford, the baroque pop of Herman's Hermits and Wayne Fontana, the rootsy rock of the Rolling Stones, Easybeats and The Loved Ones, the folky pop sound of The Seekers and the Mamas and Papas, the funk/soul sound of The Id and Jimmy Ruffin, and the mighty proto-prog piece Good Vibrations. I certainly don't love every song on this list, but in terms of diversity, what a contrast with what's on offer today.
I have developed a general disdain for most of today's music! Seriously folks what rock bands will be remembered 100 years from now? The Beatles and Bob Dylan...after that it's a stretch ! Has rock and pop music run its' course ? After all rock is over 60 years old! A lot of repetition out there in my most humble opinion !
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
SteveO Wrote:I have developed a general disdain for most of today's music! Seriously folks what rock bands will be remembered 100 years from now? The Beatles and Bob Dylan...after that it's a stretch ! Has rock and pop music run its' course ? After all rock is over 60 years old! A lot of repetition out there in my most humble opinion !
Same with country. They commited murder!
There is alot of Rock from the past that will live on as other genres but today's music is crap.
Even gospel is not what it used to be. Very few artists are worth listening .
Just discovered this thread this morning and I have to say that the 60's were the foundation of modern music but I disagree that it was the most creative. In the 70's bands REALLY started experimenting with different musical cultures in a big way. Progressive rock and electronic music came to fruition in the 70's. It started in the 60's - no doubt about that but the really complex and imaginative works were created in the 70's. I suppose we have to take into account the fact that the results were based on charts. The stuff that was going on away from the charts was far more interesting anyway.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weekly Music Charts For 2018 Music Head 31 1,278 17-04-2018, 18:25
Last Post: Music Head
  Weekly Music Charts for 2017 Music Head 177 11,945 19-12-2017, 21:39
Last Post: Music Head
  The ultimate music connection SteveO 110 28,824 01-11-2017, 04:48
Last Post: SteveO
  MUSIC NEWS: Steve Winwood to release his first "live" album CRAZY-HORSE 1 327 01-09-2017, 13:55
Last Post: SteveO
  MUSIC NEWS: new Waterboys album on the way... CRAZY-HORSE 0 177 30-06-2017, 13:54
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  What in your opinion makes a piece of music an outstanding track ? gryphon 15 2,475 13-05-2017, 11:35
Last Post: Jerome
  Music & Alcohol Tiggi 13 1,977 06-05-2017, 18:16
Last Post: Frands
  What was it that first led you to take notice of music ? gryphon 15 1,457 22-03-2017, 02:56
Last Post: oldies65
  Subversive Music - RATM, Immortal Tech, Akala, Slaves, Allflaws flinty 50 9,824 17-03-2017, 13:59
Last Post: flinty
  The Best Gaming Music Mix 2017 ♪ ToBu,alan walker,NCS Realese 1 Hour ^_^ Dragon Music rikkasan47 1 451 16-03-2017, 20:56
Last Post: Inna Selez