Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opeth Members In Bus Crash
(From antiMusic) Opeth's tour bus was involved in an accident this week that resulted in one motorist being critically injured. Two members of the band were on the bus at the time, but luckily escaped injury. Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt updated fans on what happened: Myself, Axe, Fredrik and our soundman, Pontus Norgren decided to fly home to our families for a few days as the option would have been three days off in Brussels. Now I hear that our bus apparently crashed into this other car making a unexpected U-turn in the middle of the highway. Mendez and Per were on the bus together with the rest of our crew but nobody got hurt. They are however shocked and very shaken of course. The driver in the other car was critically injured. I've not heard back from anyone yet regarding his progress but apparently it's not looking very good. Hoping for the best however.
I don't know where or when this happened but I know the bus was heading from Dublin to Brussels. I'll let you know more as soon as I get some information, but as for now everyone in the band are safe and same with our crew. As far as I know the only injured person was the driver of the other car, which obviously is horrible enough!
To be honest, I rarely think about things, accidents like this, but f**k man, it happens! My mind's all over the place and right now I don't want to go back out. But...the show in Brussels on the 17th and the remaining part of the tour will go ahead as planned.
I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music

And who cares when nothing happened?
but there were some people shocked - shocked!
Yeah that's horrible...
Well it was in the news so I thought I would share
I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music

TheKnowingDirge Wrote:Well it was in the news so I thought I would share
which is the point of the forum

thanks

We told you on Friday that two members of Opeth were involved in an accident while traveling on their tour bus. It has now come to light that the other motorist died and that was apparently intentional. Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt issued two updates on his Myspace[Image: 2.gif] page on Friday detailing these developments. Here they are some highlights: I just got a text from Mendez who saying that the driver of the other car (who made the U-turn) that our bus crashed into, sadly passed away from his injuries. On top of that it seems as if it was a deliberate death-stunt from his side as the police had found a suicide-letter in the car-wreck.
EDIT/UPDATE: OK, we're back out on tour now, just came into the venue in Brussels. Everyone's alright, but I can see that they're shaken. Apparently it was a clear suicide attempt as the car had not made a U-turn but was actually standing sideways covering one complete lane. As our busdrivers changed lane, the car backed and covered that one instead, and obviously by then, at approximately 80 km/h, it was all over. Our bus crashed into the driver side of the car and the guy, who was 35 years old pretty much died then and there. The paramedics apparently saw signs of life but he died soon after the initial impact. They had found something in his cellphone, some type of message, but we don't know what it said obviously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Opeth - Sorceress Music Head 12 2,104 18-10-2016, 16:20
Last Post: Oceansoul
  Opeth Blackwater Park goth metal raver 2 1,049 28-05-2011, 13:36
Last Post: evilB