Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Bruce Cockburn - Bone on Bone
BRUCE COCKBURN ~ Bone on Bone

[Image: R-10856306-1505431355-9047.jpeg.jpg]

I definitely have not heard enough of singer/songwriter Bruce Cockburn’s work but clearly Canada has since he’s been presented with an OC as well as numerous other awards, honorary doctorates, etc. 

I like this album –  he reminds me of Lee Clayton x Eric Andersen x someone else very specific who I can’t quite put my finger on right now (but which will probably come to me at around 02.00 am), with an occasional hint of David Byrne just to confuse the whole issue! His music is much more a fusion of folk and rock than simply folk, hence its inclusion in this category. He’s well known to many luthiers, especially in Canada, being something of an innovator and having had a number of acoustic guitars specifically designed and made for him.  

There are some really nice driving rhythms scattered throughout the album - almost African sounds now and then – maybe a hangover from his time with Ali Fare Touré (and similar outings!). The other interesting sound I found on this is the cornet which features now and then – not an instrument one hears a whole lot of, generally – it has a nice mellow tone.

Cockburn is a musician with a largely philanthropic bent and a fair bit to say socially, spiritually and politically. There’s a lot of that about these days, among older artists at any rate – almost a resurgence of the sentiments of the hippie era. As someone once said: the only thing we learn from history is that we don’t! 

The lead track - “States I’m In” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXN3i8S9Xbo

Would have posted the lovely “Mon Chemin” but it doesn’t appear to be on YouTube – audio here, hopefully - http://www.deezer.com/search/bruce%20coc...n%20chemin.

And moving on to another one - “40 Years in the Wilderness” … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Thanks for the heads up, liked the samples
^You're most welcome.
Good to see you on the board R_burke.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Robert Plant - Carry Fire Ruby 6 68 Yesterday, 20:51
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Van Morrison - Roll With The Punches Music Head 1 37 12-10-2017, 05:10
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Neil Young "hitchhiker" CRAZY-HORSE 7 196 01-10-2017, 11:09
Last Post: Frands
  NEW ALBUM: Caligula's Horse "in contact" CRAZY-HORSE 1 71 24-09-2017, 15:26
Last Post: R_burke
  NEW ALBUM: Gary Numan - Savage (Songs From A Broken World) Ruby 2 83 21-09-2017, 20:18
  NEW ALBUM: Queens Of The Stone Age - Villians Music Head 2 134 09-09-2017, 16:37
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Steven Wilson - To The Bone Music Head 2 179 05-09-2017, 15:54
  NEW ALBUM: Walter Trout "we're all in this together" CRAZY-HORSE 3 236 01-09-2017, 21:25
  NEW ALBUM: Third Day - Revival Music Head 1 188 22-08-2017, 23:51
  NEW ALBUM: Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band - Lay It On Down Music Head 3 107 22-08-2017, 03:38