Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Musical Quote of the Day
^And then there's "Honesty", which although it was played to death and is quite basic musically speaking, is still a very good song IMHO. 

"I also used these realistic sounds in a psychological way. With The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, I used animal sounds - as you say, the coyote sound - so the sound of the animal became the main theme of the movie."

-Ennio Morricone

Have to 'fess up. My ignorance is on display here – can’t believe the correlation had never occurred to me before - and it seems so blatantly obvious now, lol! Blush Rolleyes . Not that I have a single clue what a coyote sounds like … presumably something like this … 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

"I think one of the things about writing in the studio is that the song hasn't matured, if you like, so quite often the vocals are early attempts. Whereas once you've taken it out on the road a bit, you learn more about a song." 

-Peter Gabriel

He's taken "San Jacinto" out on the road a few times; I think my favourite version is from Plays Live but I can't find a live clip of that - audio only ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta15fLEVtU0. His performances are worth a watch though, so as second choice, this is from his Secret World Live concert film ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

"Sometimes it is the artist's task to find out how much music you can still make with what you have left. This has been my vocation, to make music of what remains."

Itzhak Perlman

Just went to an exhibition of black and white photographic portaits by Jillian Edelstein, of which his was one. Nicked the quote from the catalogue. Dodgy 

I always loved the lyrics to this Style Council song especially the last two verses...
they recorded two versions of the song back in the day, an uptempo one that was released as a single and a piano only version that appeared on their debut album,
I much prefer the vocal/piano version because the lyrics are clearer:

MY EVER CHANGING MOODS

Daylight turns to moonlight, and I'm at my best

Praising the way it all works and gazing upon the rest
The cool before the warm, the calm after the storm
Oh the cool before the warm, the calm after the storm
I wish to stay forever, letting this be my food
Oh but I'm caught up in a whirlwind and my ever changing moods

Bitter turns to sugar, some call a passive tune
But the day things turn sweet, for me won't be too soon
The hush before the silence, the winds after the blast
Oh the hush before the silence, the winds after the blast
I wish we'd move together, this time the bosses sued
Oh but we're caught up in the wilderness and an ever changing mood

Teardrops turn to children, who've never had the time
To commit the sins they pay for through, another's evil mind
The love after the hate
The love we leave too late
The love after the hate, the love we leave too late
I wish we'd wake up one day, and everyone feel moved
Oh but we're caught up in the dailies and an ever changing mood

Evil turns to statues, and masses form a line
But I know which way I'd run to if the choice was mine
The past is our knowledge, the present our mistake
And the future we always leave too late
I wish we'd come to our senses and see there is no truth, oh
In those who promote the confusion for this ever changing mood, yeah

single version:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysykkZtrne0  (Top Of The Pops performance)

piano/vocal version:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0m7B70XxIM
One of my favourites - from the Relayer album by Yes. Can't remember if these words are actually used in the tracks but they were printed on the album cover.

Snakes are coiled upon the granite
Horseman ride into the west
Moons are rising on the planet
Where the worst must suffer like the rest

Pears are ripe and peaches falling
Suns are setting in the east
Women wail and men are calling
To the God that's in them, and to the beast

Love is waiting for a lover
Generations kneel for peace
What men lose man will recover
Polishing the brains his bones release

Truth conceals itself in error
History reveals its face
Days of ecstasy and terror
Invent the future that invents the race
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
The wanderer has far to go
Humble must he constant be
Where the paths of wisdom lead
Distant is the shadow of the setting sun.

Bless the daytime, bless the night
Bless the sun which gives us light
Bless the thunder, bless the rain
Bless all those who cause us pain.

Yellow stars may guide the way
All diversions lead astray
While his resolution hold's
Fortune and goodwill will surely follow him.

Bless the free man, bless the slave
Bless the hero in his grave
Bless the soldier, bless the saint
Bless all those whose hearts grow faint.

"Benedictus" by Strawbs from Grave New World. The story behind this one is that Dave Cousins consulted the I-Ching for direction after Rick Wakeman's departure from the band and incorporated the answers he received from that oracle into the first verse. He's playing dulcimer through a fuzz box in the instrumental break.  

"Popularity has everything to do with business, and nothing to do with music."

-Donald Fagen

One of my 'go to' Steely Dan tracks, and albums for that matter. But wait ... may as well add another of Donald's pearls ... a little on the crusty side, Mr Fagen! Lol! 

"Anthemic rock music is inherently fascist - anything intended to move huge masses of people is politically offensive to me."

"You either live under a rock or you walk in the sunshine. That’s pretty much how it goes."

Sixto Rodriquez

Hard pressed to pick a single track, so going with one from each of his two albums ... anyone who hasn't seen Searching for Sugar Man, really should! 

"Crucify Your Mind" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdWXqtk484

and "Sandrevan Lullaby" - 

“Sound is ephemeral, fleeting, but some sort of a physical manifestation can help you hold on to it longer in time. I'm sure of this; I've always thought the sound that you make is just the tip of the iceberg, like the person that you see physically is just the tip of the iceberg as well.”

-Yo-Yo Ma

“Philosophically, what I have learned is to thy own self be true. That is the biggest lesson of all. Relax; music is fun. Too many people take it too seriously because of the money involved.”

-Greg Lake

I think he was a big ‘ol softie, the lovely Mr Lake, and there's nothing wrong with that - quite the opposite. Must get hold of his autobiography ... 

Some favourites –

“Watching Over You” – Works Volume 2https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kgJq9XthJw

“Lucky Man” – Emerson, Lake & Palmerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89g1P_J40JA

“Still You Turn Me On” – Brain Salad Surgeryhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8VHHcd0M_o

“Closer to Believing” – Works Volume 1https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliPSwZD68M

“Farewell to Arms” – Black Moon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4U_wjFcqS8

And last but not least – pity the sound isn’t wonderful on this live clip – from Pictures at an Exhibition - “The Sage” …

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A musical riddle bob_32_116 2 235 20-12-2016, 07:50
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Meat Loaf on turning Bat Out Of Hell into a musical CRAZY-HORSE 2 408 05-11-2016, 02:55
  What is you favorite Musical? Mikecowell 9 612 05-10-2016, 22:40
  Astonishing musical facts bob_32_116 9 1,131 12-07-2016, 21:17
Last Post: Ruby
  Molin's musical marble machine artsy 0 233 21-05-2016, 13:34
Last Post: artsy
  Musical Gold JimmyNeutron 9 2,570 29-07-2015, 02:30
Last Post: TheNeedleDrops
  What do think about musical promotion? Ralph N. Norton 0 329 30-01-2015, 06:43
Last Post: Ralph N. Norton
  Musical Degrees JimmyNeutron 2 357 27-07-2014, 05:16
Last Post: JimmyNeutron
  Nun shocks the musical world Amurcomusic 1 864 13-05-2014, 12:52
Last Post: SteveO
  I have specific musical anhedonia ledoyendumidi 2 686 24-04-2014, 15:50
Last Post: SteveO