3. Fireworks            
  4. Postcard              
  5. To Live A Life      
  6. My Wild Sweet Love       
  7. Distant Star         
  8. Ruins     
  9. Hem Of Her Dress            
  10. Nothing Has To Be True

This is the fourth full length release from indie folk duo First Aid Kit which comprises Swedish sisters Klara and Johanna Söderberg, who aside from singing in glorious harmony, are respectively responsible for guitar and keyboards/Autoharp/bass guitar. In addition to their regular entourage of Melvin Duffy (pedal steel guitar) and Steve Moore (keys and trombone), there is an extensive list of personnel joining them for this one, amongst whom are Peter Buck, McKenzie Smith of Midlake and Wilco’s Glen Kotche. The album was mastered by Eric Boulanger and produced by Tucker Martine (The Decemberists and My Morning Jacket to name a couple).  

Much to the surprise of their parents, whose own taste in music differs considerably, these two girls found their happy place in their early teens upon discovering Emmylou, Gram Parsons, Bob Dylan, Townes van Zandt, Johnny Cash, Carter Family, etc. They got there via the circuitous route of Conor Oberst and Bright Eyes, and were inspired to write their first song after hearing the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou?, a soundtrack that’s been popping up on my own radar a lot lately – must listen to it sometime! They got a lot of attention on YouTube doing a cover of Fleet Foxes "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" and the song “My Silver Lining” from their album Stay Gold has become widely known and appropriated for use in various media. It’s a good song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKL4X0PZz7M.

Back to this album though, which very listenable – refreshing so! The harmonies are incredibly sweet and ‘clean’ with the voice only a tad stretched on the higher notes of the first song, but other than that, lovely, lilting, easy and natural. I think the album has been well produced and the subject matter feels authentic. I hear clear Celtic as well as country influences along with subtle touches that add great texture and good arrangements too. Tasteful, I think is an appropriate description. That said, there are one or two filler tracks but that won’t prevent me from purchasing the album at some stage. Hey, their live performances have moved the likes of Patti Smith, Paul Simon and Emmylou Harris to tears; there's definitely something in that!

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
liking the linked track Ruby, thanks....
I will get round to listening to the whole album thisweek

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Montgomery Gentry - Here's To You Music Head 0 69 16-02-2018, 13:09
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: John Oates "Arkansas" CRAZY-HORSE 0 73 09-02-2018, 21:22
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: First Aid Kit - Ruins Music Head 4 90 07-02-2018, 11:43
  NEW ALBUM: LANCO - Hallelujah Nights Music Head 0 48 02-02-2018, 13:47
  NEW ALBUM: Chris Thile - Thanks for Listening Ruby 3 116 30-01-2018, 21:15
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Chris Stapleton - From A Room: Volume 2 Music Head 1 117 16-01-2018, 09:18
  NEW ALBUM: Walker Hayes - Boom Music Head 1 173 16-01-2018, 04:21
  NEW ALBUM: Luke Bryan - What Makes You Country Music Head 1 122 16-01-2018, 04:13
  NEW ALBUM: Red Marlow - Complete Season 13 Collection Music Head 0 97 09-01-2018, 12:49
  NEW ALBUM: Bella Hardy "hey sammy" CRAZY-HORSE 0 70 01-12-2017, 20:10