2.      Raven
3.      Bardo
4.      A Hundred Moons
5.      Strid
6.      Transient State
7.      Return to Text
8.      Reactor
9.      Window

Penguins again! GoGo Penguins this time – whatever they might be!! Another genre-bending offering from a young trio who I suspect have rushed in where angels (and sacred cows) fear to tread – crossing contemporary jazz with up-to-date electronica. Wiki says “Their music incorporates elements of electronica, trip-hop, jazz, rock and classical music.” So GoGo fits perfectly then – i.e. full of energy, vitality, or daring, and stylish, modern, or up-to-date – all this in strange contrast to the album title, but then how can a star be humdrum? Or is this one of those countless nameless bodies? Hmmmm. Lovely cover artwork. 

Personnel

Chris Illingworth – piano
Nick Blacka – bass
Rob Turner - drums

The album starts off with some quite heavy smooshy synthy sonics but there was something about it that said ‘keep listening, this is going to get interesting’, and it does. A nice little package IMHO, and this much I can say – the piano player is flippin’ good – reminds me of Rick Wakeman with those beautiful cascading notes, which as clichéd as it may sound, is exactly what they are. The bassist and drummer are not at all shabby either – quite the opposite. It’s an instrumental album guys – just so you know.

I’m also reminded of Giovanni Mirabassi and Eric Legnini and their trios, to a degree, except this lot have climbed right out of their boxes and are, I think, a lot more melodic than what one might expect from a traditional jazz ensemble, or even a more modern setup. There’s a little bit of repetition, in terms of the structure of their pieces, they fall in love with some of their riffs which creates some quite long looping passages, but really, it’s difficult to find fault with what they’ve put out which errs just enough on the dark side of chocolate box pretty to save it from being mundane.

I found it an uplifting listen; there’s skilled musicianship, a fair level of sophistication, texture and imagination, and I wouldn’t have been all that surprised to find them on the ECM label. I always listen and write my review before referring to any others, but I do look at others after the fact, out of curiosity. Sometimes I totally disagree with what they’ve said, which of course doesn’t necessarily make me right, but in this instance I was surprised and a little gratified that the AMG reviewer also mentioned ECM (and genre-bending – so much for originality, lol!).

If this was a record, I think I would have preferred side two – would be interesting to explore how the disappearance of ‘sides’ has impacted on album presentation and conceptualisation since the initial demise of vinyl, and in fact whether its resurgence has had any effect. Anyway – I digress! I like this.

The two tracks that are available in my country, “Bardo” … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDLzlsf0McM

…. And “Window” – the final track and one of my favourites ….

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
^Oooohhh – ok – this might be from whence that title was extracted … Smile

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

- Carl Sagan
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
not really a fan of instrumental music but I listened to both tracks Ruby...
"window" wasn't too bad, but I preferred "bardo" for some reason....

I read their Wiki page, theyre often compared to Massive Attack and Brian Eno over there...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Ben Rector - Magic Music Head 2 82 10-07-2018, 18:04
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Tony Hadley "talking to the moon" CRAZY-HORSE 2 82 19-06-2018, 05:02
  NEW ALBUM: Lake Street Dive - Free Yourself Up Music Head 1 113 20-05-2018, 14:57
Last Post: R_burke
  NEW ALBUM: The New MAstersounds "renewable energy" CRAZY-HORSE 2 102 25-04-2018, 13:11
  NEW ALBUM: Ashley McBryde "girl going nowhere" CRAZY-HORSE 1 109 10-04-2018, 19:52
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Toni Braxton - Sex & Cigarettes Music Head 0 110 05-04-2018, 12:50
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Don McLean "botanical gardens" CRAZY-HORSE 5 153 03-04-2018, 05:48
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW ALBUM: Stills & Collins "everybody knows" CRAZY-HORSE 4 295 05-03-2018, 10:33
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Al Di Meola - Opus Ruby 5 236 25-02-2018, 13:47
  NEW ALBUM: Marlon Williams "make way for love" CRAZY-HORSE 2 256 17-02-2018, 14:16