Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Tony Banks - Five
TONY BANKS ~ Five

[Image: 220px-Tony_Banks_Five_cover.jpg]

Gosh. Most impressive! Not having listened to any of his classical albums, I had no idea how proficient Mr Banks was in this department. Now I do. Here he enlists the Czech National Symphony Orchestra and choir and Nick Ingman (orchestrations, conductor), and together they have made an album of really lovely, accessible, symphonic instrumental music in the classical vein. I loved it … it’s a celebration of tones and moods with stirring melodies and great big exciting washes of sound nicely balanced with littler ‘airs’ that somehow get to the heartstrings.

The album comprises five movements (go figure Rolleyes ) of around ten-ish minutes each except the fifteen and half minute opener, “Prelude to a Million Years”. The final track, “Renaissance” really conjures up that time of magical reawakening, IMHO, along with a fair amount of pomp and grandeur – it’s quite cinematic - the album generally has something of the feel of a soundtrack actually – an unseen movie for the mind. Funny that there should be another track of similar name in “Reveille”, which literally means a bugle call to wake up.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
While I admire this man's abilities this particular piece of music does not develop enough for me. It seems to be stuck in a rut of some sort??!!?? Maybe I'm losing it.....
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
^Probably not. It IS repetitive, I thought maybe it was intended to be that way? Persistent, as in the wakey wakey call, although I do hear three distinct sections (unless I’m imaging things, which wouldn’t be unusual). That motif is really stuck in my ear now - fortunately I don't mind. Lol!

I think one either just does, or doesn’t enjoy a piece of music, and no analysis or explanation of it is likely to change that. Then again – sometimes it might!

Perhaps try “Prelude to a Million Years” – if the mood strikes Smilehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF69G7IkcBs
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
His solo album - A Curious Feeling is worth a listen. So many albums, so little time.....
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Tarja "from spirits and ghosts" CRAZY-HORSE 4 423 08-04-2018, 01:56
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: Benny Andersson "piano" CRAZY-HORSE 2 393 25-10-2017, 09:18
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Juuso Kekki -" Interpretations I" - Debut album to be released 1.12.2014 Juuso Kekki 1 857 08-12-2014, 19:08
Last Post: Juuso Kekki
  Andrea Bocelli's new Christmas Album rockitmarty 0 1,132 13-11-2009, 21:58
Last Post: rockitmarty