Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Olivia Chaney - Shelter
OLIVIA CHANEY ~ Shelter

[Image: MI0004435196.jpg?partner=allrovi.com]

The one thing that scares me off some folk music (which is what I was expecting this to be) is that it can have a tendency to be awfully earnest and doleful; the first track and the title, in all its beautifully sung simplicity did seem to indicate that this might be how the album would play out. Track two, “Dragonfly” put a slightly different spin on things - these two, for starters sounded like traditional songs that have been reworked and given a new, but tasteful, and fairly restrained lease of life. Things got a bit different after that and simply can't be pegged as folk. I like the way her voice lets go of itself every now and then – as though the sounds are being breathed out of her of their own volition and can, in turned be inhaled by the listener. I know - that’s weird – but that’s how it feels to me. She has a lovely voice – clean, strong and not contrived and I quite like the instruments here too. Welcome respite for me – it’s been a lean couple of weeks – tried listening to all sorts of new stuff that is just so much crap I can’t believe anyone signed them!

Prior to this release, Ms Chaney contributed to The Queen of Hearts, with the Decemberists, as Offa Rex, which I also enjoyed. Listening to “O Solitude” on this new one, I thought it sounded quite baroque – it’s actually a Henry Purcell composition which explains everything – nicely done https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJCEptma_g … and it IS difficult to categorise her – this is pinned as alternative singer/songwriter but I dunno … very definite underlying folk too (despite my previous comment), although not one hundred percent definitive.

I will go back for another listen – quiet music – there’s an aura of isolation and vulnerability about the album which I think is an essential aspect for the real success of any artist – a little bit of vulnerability endears people - engenders sympatico; at the same time there is also a degree of reassuring self-containment. I like it. Smile

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
I wasn't keen on the song Ruby, but I liked her vocal quality, could hear Kate Bush in places

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Tom Morello "the atlas underground" CRAZY-HORSE 0 68 12-10-2018, 09:49
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: The Story So Far - Proper Dose Music Head 0 33 07-10-2018, 12:24
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Peter Bibby "grand champion" CRAZY-HORSE 0 91 05-10-2018, 04:44
  NEW ALBUM: Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed? Music Head 1 133 18-09-2018, 12:42
  NEW ALBUM: Tash Sultana - Flow State Music Head 2 152 17-09-2018, 08:28
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Interpol - Marauder Music Head 0 87 08-09-2018, 12:14
  NEW ALBUM: Mitski - Be The Cowboy Music Head 1 175 04-09-2018, 10:12
  NEW ALBUM: Blue October - I Hope You're Happy Music Head 1 104 02-09-2018, 12:45
  NEW ALBUM: Ninja Sex Party - Cool Patrol Music Head 0 57 01-09-2018, 11:52
  NEW ALBUM: Death Cab For Cutie - Thank You For Today Music Head 0 68 31-08-2018, 12:27