Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music is one of my biggest life motivators..
Music definitely improved my life ever since I started really living it.

It first started as a hobby but then I seriously started working on music by learning a few instruments.

Now I am playing ukulele, the guitar, viola and I am starting to learn the piano too Smile

My name is Marissa and I am from US. I hope we have a great time here in the forums! Smile
What are some of your favourite music artists, Marissa?
(22-06-2018, 18:04)MythsOfMetal Wrote: What are some of your favourite music artists, Marissa?

Its hard to decide really.. I like a lot of various types of music but lately I have been mostly into classical music because I am trying to perform it myself. I really like Franz Liszt and Debussy lately Smile
I think I've heard of both of those classical music composers before, but I haven't actually listened to either for quite some time. What are some compositions by them which you enjoy?

Are you a fan of any rock music? If so, what are some bands/artists you like, and do you like rock from all decades, or only some?

Also, if you like rock, do you like any subgenres of it like punk, jazz-fusion, metal, post-rock/shoegaze, or industrial rock?
(23-06-2018, 01:01)MythsOfMetal Wrote: I think I've heard of both of those classical music composers before, but I haven't actually listened to either for quite some time. What are some compositions by them which you enjoy?

Are you a fan of any rock music? If so, what are some bands/artists you like, and do you like rock from all decades, or only some?

Also, if you like rock, do you like any subgenres of it like punk, jazz-fusion, metal, post-rock/shoegaze, or industrial rock?

I really love this composition by Debussy for an example Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvFH_6DNRCY

I do like rock and some of the bands I like are The Beatles, Ac/DC, whitesnakes and others Smile

It is not my main music but I do enjoy listening to it Smile
I listened to that song; Claire de Lune on repeat for about five or six times last night before bed. It was quite beautiful, nice, and relaxing, I hadn't really remembered most of the melodies since it's been a really long time since I last heard it. On about the third listen is when I became really familiar with how the song went. I think I appreciated it more last night than I ever did before. Thanks for getting me to listen to it again. Smile

I like some stuff by those three rock bands too, The Beatles the most out of those three, since I'm more familiar with them than the others, though I'm not super knowledgeable of The Beatles either. I think Abbey Road is the album I like the most from them, though I probably only really remember half of the songs on the first half of the album. Though when it comes to normal rock/pop-rock/hard rock I think I prefer the 50's - 80's, and then from the 90's onward there's a bit of alternative rock that I like, and some from other sub/fusion genres of rock, besides the main rock sub-genre I listen to, being metal.

There's this non-metal song by a band that mostly plays metal which I'm curious to hear what you think of. It has some classical music influences, but also a lot of electronic music influences. This band is known for mixing a lot of genres like folk, black metal, doom metal, jazz, and electronic/industrial together, so it's often very interesting stuff. Here's a link to the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAui-yHAswA

Do you like any metal? AC/DC and Whitesnake have some songs which are pretty close, though I'm unsure if I would categorize them as metal because my sort of baseline for what is metal is drawn around bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. Not that that really matters, I'd be interested in hearing what other hard rock you like too. But I tend to be more interested in the style I consider to be metal.

One of my favourite metal bands takes a lot of influence from Queen. What do you think of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJYZt3budk
(25-06-2018, 00:35)MythsOfMetal Wrote: I listened to that song; Claire de Lune on repeat for about five or six times last night before bed. It was quite beautiful, nice, and relaxing, I hadn't really remembered most of the melodies since it's been a really long time since I last heard it. On about the third listen is when I became really familiar with how the song went. I think I appreciated it more last night than I ever did before. Thanks for getting me to listen to it again. Smile

I like some stuff by those three rock bands too, The Beatles the most out of those three, since I'm more familiar with them than the others, though I'm  not super knowledgeable of The Beatles either. I think Abbey Road is the album I like the most from them, though I probably only really remember half of the songs on the first half of the album. Though when it comes to normal rock/pop-rock/hard rock I think I prefer the 50's - 80's, and then from the 90's onward there's a bit of alternative rock that I like, and some from other sub/fusion genres of rock, besides the main rock sub-genre I listen to, being metal.

There's this non-metal song by a band that mostly plays metal which I'm curious to hear what you think of. It has some classical music influences, but also a lot of electronic music influences. This band is known for mixing a lot of genres like folk, black metal, doom metal, jazz, and electronic/industrial together, so it's often very interesting stuff. Here's a link to the song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAui-yHAswA

Do you like any metal? AC/DC and Whitesnake have some songs which are pretty close, though I'm unsure if I would categorize them as metal because my sort of baseline for what is metal is drawn around bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Iron Maiden. Not that that really matters, I'd be interested in hearing what other hard rock you like too. But I tend to be more interested in the style I consider to be metal.

One of my favourite metal bands takes a lot of influence from Queen. What do you think of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtJYZt3budk

Sorry for the late reply.. I didn't see the reply..

I like that song by Thy Catafalque. It is really calming.. I will add it to my go to music in my playlist :Smile
It's been raining where I live and it really went well with the rain.

I don't really actively listen to metal but was surprised that that song actually has calming elements to it. When I hear about metal music I usually think about the restless type music like something explosive Big Grin
Maybe I just need to research it more.. Where would you suggest I start? 
No worries about the time it took to reply, the same happens to me, or I get really busy with something I need to prioritize, so I understand completely. Smile

I'm unsure if there's really a sub-genre of metal that is consistently not "explosive", however, what I recommend could depend on what you consider explosive. I know to stay away from aggressive black metal and death metal, but I was wondering if something like Amorphis' song "Wrong Direction" would be considered too extreme? Or power metal like Judicator's album The Last Emperor, which is epic and powerful, but not super aggressive imo.

Anyways, here are some recs for more mellow metal music which I think errs on the side of not being too aggressive no matter what you mean by explosive.

Blind Guardian - "Nightfall"
Blind Guardian - "Blood Tears"
Blind Guardian - "Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)"
Alcest - "Ecailles de Lune, Part 1"
Lethian Dreams - "White Gold"
Empyrium - "In the Gutter of this Spring"
Ghost - "He Is"
In the Woods... - "Vanish in the Absence of Virtue"
Marty Friedman - "Valley of Eternity"
Midnight Odyssey - "A Midnight Odyssey"
Nightingale - "Scarred for Life"
Nightingale - "Still in the Dark"
Nightingale - "Remorse and Regret"
Nightingale - "I Return"
Nightingale - "Alonely"
Opeth - "River"
Sonata Arctica - "The Misery"
Sonata Arctica - "My Selene"
Sonata Arctica - "Paid in Full"
Thy Catafalque - "Siraly"
Ulver - "I Troldskog Faren Vild"
Virgin Steele - "Child of Desolation"

I know this is a lot to check out, so feel free to get back to me on what you think of some of these after only hearing a couple songs or whatever is convenient for you. Also, worthy of noting is, while I think these songs are all not too extreme, that doesn't mean I think everything by the band would be like that for you, some of these bands have songs which I expect you would dislike. Feel free to check out more unlisted songs from these bands, though, but be prepared to hear something too harsh or something of that like.

I hope you like these songs. Are there any more Debussy composition which you think I should hear? I'm open to other classical composers too. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Hello fellow music lovers Crowddedmusicplayer 6 94 24-06-2018, 18:19
Last Post: Lovely
  I will let the music introduce myself DP75 0 527 16-10-2017, 11:52
Last Post: DP75
  What up. I'm AK. My new music video on YouTube is blowing up (20k views). Halfway702 0 546 07-02-2017, 20:12
Last Post: Halfway702
  all music luther davies 6 1,038 17-01-2017, 01:01
Last Post: luther davies
  Hello Music Lovers ClassicalIsTheBest 2 543 29-12-2016, 03:25
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Music beyond language BaishalisMusic 1 511 11-12-2016, 17:37
Last Post: Jerome
  Hello from a Music Freak Q Asar Music 0 358 13-11-2016, 11:15
Last Post: Q Asar Music
  Hello Music People! Purple_Empress 11 1,174 28-08-2016, 19:10
Last Post: Purple_Empress
  Hellos Musicians/Lovers of Music soundspotapp 4 777 26-08-2016, 11:46
  Music Fan of many genres from Rock to Electronic, Jazz to Classical.. 3000records 1 497 28-07-2016, 06:58