2.      Lose Myself - John Paul White
3.      What Is Love - Dylan LeBlanc
4.      Breakdown - Andrew Combs
5.      Crimson Underground - Rodney Crowell
6.      Wolf Like Me – Shovels & Rope
7.      Nothin to Do with Your Love - JD McPherson
8.      In Another Life - Nicole Atkins
9.      Almost Persuaded – John Paul White

Plays Well With Others sounds like a comment on a child’s report card, which is probably intended, and it’s true. What a neat collection of duets – co-written (except “Almost Persuaded” - Billy Sherrill & Glen Sutton and TV on the Radio’s “Wolf Like Me”) and co-sung by various contributors with Ms Lynn very much to the fore but not competing for top of the class. Actually, the John Paul White influence is evident, as some of these are reminiscent of the Civil Wars sound IMHO. The album WAS recorded at his studio after all, with him co-producing which no doubt also played a part. A lot of co’s!

Some of the singers/musicians I’ve never heard of, (which is not saying a lot!) and my conclusion is that there seems to be a brigade of young-ish talent in the Americana department that merits further exploration; there are a couple of stalwarts in the mix too – such as Rodney Crowell. I got quite an Emmylou and Gram Parsons kinda vibe from one or two of these – there’s something honest and well-mannered in her delivery that seems to align with an earlier time; without artifice might be what I’m trying to say! There’s a possibility MH might even approve of a couple of the more country oriented numbers.

A combination of Americana (which is quite a broad descriptor), folk, and country as well as one track with distinct rockabilly leanings (with JD McPherson) and another harking back to Roy Orbison et al. (with Nicole Atkins).

It’s good IMHO – tastefully put together and possibly a bit too tidy at just over half an hour’s worth of listening time - then again - rather that than wishing it would end! Speaks of relationships and tugs of war and hearts, as so many songs do – what’s it all about after all? Ok – there’s other stuff, but this is what humans are, at the core – involved with one another – I like it.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
well, that was one of those tracks for me that when I hear it I cant decide whether its as boring as bat sh1t or a work of genius...
so, I'm torn, gonna have to listen to the whole album to put it in context
^Lol! That's a new one!
Ah well - without differing opinions, a lot of things would remain boring ....  Cool

Probably best not to listen directly after Fantastic Negrito  Big Grin
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
are you referring to the "boring as..." comment Ruby???

if so, it is used frequently in Australia, I have no idea about the origins of it or even how you can compare the two thing...
just makes no sense, I guess its just one of those old sayings from way back that has stuck...

BTW, I rarely use it, but it was the first thing that I thought of when replying to the thread...LOL
^Yes - it’s used regularly here too, but as a precursor to crazy, not boring, lol!!
Might have something to do with bats in the belfry - or batty.
i promised, I listened, I liked!

was expecting the same sort of music as the linked track but I got a whole lot more...
at least half the album could be called Alternative, touches of Rockabilly (as stated by Ruby),
and yeah, I heard the Big-O similarity in the one mentioned above also...

still cant make my mind up about that linked track though!
^Phew! 
I had thought about the 'alternative' label actually.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Eliza Gilkyson - Secularia Ruby 0 7 14-07-2018, 15:36
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Dan + Shay - Dan + Shay Music Head 1 21 05-07-2018, 18:43
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Ray Davies "our country:americana act II" CRAZY-HORSE 0 29 28-06-2018, 19:37
  NEW ALBUM: Dierks Bentley - The Mountain Music Head 3 36 24-06-2018, 05:36
  NEW ALBUM: Michael Ray - Amos Music Head 1 37 18-06-2018, 15:34
  NEW ALBUM: Roo Panes "quiet man" CRAZY-HORSE 0 30 17-06-2018, 16:11
  NEW ALBUM: Tori Forsyth "dawn of the dark" CRAZY-HORSE 1 70 03-06-2018, 19:05
Last Post: SteveO
  NEW ALBUM: Joshua Hedley "mr jukebox" CRAZY-HORSE 2 87 15-05-2018, 12:09
  NEW ALBUM: Willie Nelson - Last Man Standing Music Head 3 99 14-05-2018, 18:13
  NEW ALBUM: Keith Urban - Graffiti U Music Head 3 67 12-05-2018, 12:02
Last Post: Music Head