Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings from San Jose
Hello, I'm a 60 year old music lover who has been an enthusiastic consumer of music since about 1971.  My first big music purchase was the $25 for 25 albums in the Record Club of America.  I used to regularly ride my bicycle up to music and record stores around where I was growing up to check out the newest releases and occasionally purchase some.

My main sources for music discovery have varied over the years.  Before getting into music I listened to top 40 AM radio from time to time.  I eventually switched to FM album oriented radio and KSAN in San Francisco that was my first expansion of music variety which happened to coincide to the rise of punk and similar music.

Later on I switched to listening to college radio for a while and learned about a number of other bands and styles of music there.  Then I moved to mp3.com when it was available and found a number great groups there.  Since about 2006 my most influential source for music has been Pandora.com.

I generally start getting tired of music I've liked or loved over time and eventually stop listening to those groups and sometimes that style of music.  These days I listen to mostly indie and alternative pop and rock, some mainstream pop, some mainstream rock, selected bluegrass and a handful of other types of music.

The longest lasting groups and artists who make up larger portions of my listening are The Beatles, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Elton John, Devo, Suzanne Vega, Vomit Launch, Pixies, Frank Black and The Breeders.

Although my longest lasting groups don't really show it I tend to prefer music with female vocals or dual female/male vocals, I love harmonies, I love songs with strings in them (cello my favorite and violin second), I like songs with clever lyrics and I like music with intricate instrumental sections.

I generally listen to songs as opposed to albums and like to listen to my music in an iTunes playlist with a not played since filter to make sure I hear all of the songs I like over time.

That's it for now.  Thanks for having me here.
welcome sir
nice to have a newbie who it seems appreciates a variety of genres
join in the various discussions and tell us about what you like or don't like
hoping you enjoy your stay

and, do you know your way in San Jose?

Welcome sjpolyguy, if somewhat belatedly  Blush .

Great intro - sounds as though you’ll fit right in!
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
welcome to MD mate...

great introduction...

look forward to reading more posts from you in the future....
Strangely enough I found out that I had signed up here as asp3 back in December 2009 and was here until Feb 2010. I have no idea what email address I used for the older account, so I'll keep using this one. However if you run into an old asp3 posting it was from me.
either way...
good you came full circle and returned mate

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from San Jose, California asp3 6 911 23-12-2009, 01:42
Last Post: Melody