Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: John Hackett, Nick Fletcher - Beyond the Stars
JOHN HACKETT, NICK FLETCHER - Beyond the Stars

[Image: 51GxPOVOcNL._SS500.jpg]

A new album from Steve Hackett’s younger brother who I keep trying to listen to and like. This one might swing it. He has worked extensively with the older Hackett and plenty others, but I haven’t really got on with his previous solo or split releases, in the rock arena I should specify, as I am not au fait with his new age material, of which there is plenty. I do like his and Steve’s Sketches of Satie

He’s playing here with Nick Fletcher, who from what I can ascertain, is actually a very well regarded classical guitarist, a virtuoso, and if it is indeed the same person, he has to be congratulated on his versatility – he acquits himself very nicely in proggy stuff. Where they fail miserably, IMHO, is vocally. John is a great flautist but a pretty crap singer. The music is decidedly there – I can hear definite Genesis influences, which isn’t a huge surprise, but there’s not an excessive amount of that and there are some truly lyrical moments when it does gel.

While I don’t like all nine of the tracks, six pass muster and at least five hit the spot. I find the thing with JH is that there’s a tendency to meander and noodle unnecessarily – lacking in focus, which this still is to a degree, but which is somehow more tolerable; I just could not handle 2017’s We Are Not Alone, maybe I should try that again. On the other hand, Nick Fletcher is a rather fabulous noodler! Lol! Worth a listen I reckon, and a vast improvement.

Favs – “A Horse Named Cadillac”, “Leaving it all Behind”, “Mist on the Lake”, “The Waves of Fair Isle” (an instrumental that I loved) and “That Ship Has Sailed” which is the only clip I could find on YT ….

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Steve Perry - Traces Ruby 2 93 24-10-2018, 17:47
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Rod Stewart "blood and roses" CRAZY-HORSE 1 81 15-10-2018, 12:28
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Joe Bonamassa - Redemption Music Head 2 82 09-10-2018, 16:21
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Doyle Bramhall II - Shades Ruby 2 84 09-10-2018, 11:56
  NEW SINGLE: John Hiatt - Over the Hill Ruby 0 81 03-10-2018, 15:47
  NEW ALBUM: Beth Hart And Joe Bonamassa - Black Coffee Music Head 3 366 02-10-2018, 01:53
Last Post: sjpolyguy
  NEW ALBUM: Lenny Kravitz "raise vibration" CRAZY-HORSE 1 109 25-09-2018, 13:15
  NEW ALBUM: Paul McCartney "Egypt station" CRAZY-HORSE 4 170 19-09-2018, 12:21
  NEW ALBUM: The Nude Party "the nude party" CRAZY-HORSE 4 338 07-07-2018, 23:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Graham Nash "over the years" CRAZY-HORSE 1 187 30-06-2018, 09:39