Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musical Deaths 2019:
As regular members of this forum will know, I have a soft spot for the band Magna Carta……I think I am a unique breed as they never really enjoyed great success…
However, the other day I learnt the sad news the one of thee later members of the band George Norris had sadly passed away ( 02 April 2019).
George first came into the Magna world as a “roadie” and slowly managed to work his way into the position of full time member.
George was the kind of person that once seen was never forgotten….from his amazing “pebble ”glasses to his colonial officer’s appearance , George was one of the world’s great characters. …
He was a very slight character but when he sang and played he could hold a room spell bound.
I was lucky enough to see him with Magna in Heerlen on two of the only free tickets that Chris Simpson ever gave away in more than 40 years of performance…( to say he was tight was an understatement but I did it and shamed him into giving tickets after him taking several thousands from me in luxery living and board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
In that Heerlen theatre George dwarfed by his accounstic guitar sun “Highway To Spain” and “Somekind Of Man” and moved me to tears with his tender and expressive handling of both songs. He outclassed the rest of the band and showed what a trouper he was as he was far from fit and far from home.
George had been a great performer in his time but, for those who have never heard it, ….hear “Highway To Spain” as a tribute to a small diminutive man with a great soul and a wonderful feeling for song…………………………………and think that the choir invisible has a talented new member………..
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Country music lost another legend today.

God bless you and the family of Earl Thomas Conley always!!!

Holly

P.S. I love his duet with fellow late great legend Keith Whitley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghxAQK4J7c
Listen to my most favorite singer here sometime, James Otto that is!
(10-04-2019, 21:50)Sorry for the loss o f George ! There\s something special when music moves you to tears !gryphon Wrote: As regular members of this forum will know, I have a soft spot for the band Magna Carta……I think I am a unique breed as they never really enjoyed great success…
However, the other day I learnt the sad news the one of thee later members of the band George Norris had sadly passed away ( 02 April 2019).
George first came into the Magna world as a “roadie” and slowly managed to work his way into the position of full time member.
George was the kind of person that once seen was never forgotten….from his amazing “pebble ”glasses to his colonial officer’s appearance , George was one of the world’s great characters. …
He was a very slight character but when he sang and played he could hold a room spell bound.
I was lucky enough to see him with Magna in Heerlen on two of the only free tickets that Chris Simpson ever gave away in more than 40 years of performance…( to say he was tight was an understatement but I did it and shamed him into giving tickets after him taking several thousands from me in luxery living and board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
In that Heerlen theatre George dwarfed by his accounstic guitar sun “Highway To Spain” and “Somekind Of Man” and moved me to tears with his tender and expressive handling of both songs. He outclassed the rest of the band and showed what a trouper he was as he was far from fit and far from home.
George had been a great performer in his time but, for those who have never heard it, ….hear “Highway To Spain” as a tribute to a small diminutive man with a great soul and a wonderful feeling for song…………………………………and think that the choir invisible has a talented new member………..
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
(10-04-2019, 21:50)gryphon Wrote: As regular members of this forum will know, I have a soft spot for the band Magna Carta……I think I am a unique breed as they never really enjoyed great success…

I'm only familiar with early Magna Carta.
Listened to "Highway to Spain" - expressive indeed - RIP George Norris.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(02-04-2019, 14:28)Music Head Wrote: ^^
saw where they arrested somebody on this
a future rapper no doubt

https://www.spin.com/2019/04/nipsey-huss...pect-lapd/

and the violence continues...

four shot, one dead at Nipsey's funeral https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/4-s...spartanntp
Was sorry to learn that Ranking Roger passed away on 26 March. He was 56. Had been operated on for brain tumours and also had lung cancer. Shucks. Very sad.  Sad R.I.P. 

He had such charisma and energy - ska is not a regular choice of listening for me, but he'd have been my go to artist. The Beat (ft him) released a new album in January this year, Public Confidential, and his biography is due out in June.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Damn!, that one passed me by also Ruby...
I was a huge fan of The Beat back in the 1980s...
ROWLAND "boon" GOULD 

guitarist LEVEL-42

aged 64,
cause of death not released (but in poor health mentally/physically for years)

lessons in love (their best known single)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x1RcVrGjGM  (video)

my favourite:

^R.I.P. Boon Gould - sad news. 

These two stand out for me - "Leaving Me Now" ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnJOgGWMMTU

And the one that started it all ... 

Leaving Me Now is a masterpiece - their best track ever.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Billboard Music Charts For 2019 Music Head 54 1,663 4 hours ago
Last Post: Music Head
  June 14, 2019: New Music Album: Gold & Grey by Baroness Musicman 0 83 16-06-2019, 05:21
Last Post: Musicman
Music Your Musical Quote of the Day Ruby 89 8,749 11-04-2019, 20:17
Last Post: Ruby
  Musician Deaths - 2018 Ruby 49 4,475 07-12-2018, 00:49
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  My musical tunes and their unrealized greatness Transcended Dimensions 5 355 29-11-2018, 17:15
Last Post: Transcended Dimensions
  Our members musical taste ambernector 113 21,556 08-10-2018, 18:40
Last Post: SteveO
  Musician Deaths - 2017 Music Head 95 10,892 08-01-2018, 09:45
Last Post: Ruby
  A musical riddle bob_32_116 2 457 20-12-2016, 07:50
  Meat Loaf on turning Bat Out Of Hell into a musical CRAZY-HORSE 2 602 05-11-2016, 02:55
  What is you favorite Musical? Mikecowell 9 1,023 05-10-2016, 22:40