Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recorded audio and degraded quality
I’ve been unable for some reason to post on the ‘Introduce yourself’ section of the forum but will do so when I can.
80% approx of my listening is to classical music but I enjoy a wide range of other kinds with the exception of Rapp, Dixieland Jazz and most hollywood musicals. I studied the pipe organ for 11 years and have a deep interest in that form.

I’m not sure this section is the best place to discuss a deep concern of mine, the inferior quality of so much of todays recording and reproduction of music and how it influences taste, perception and preferences. Recently three children aged 5,7 and 9 visited my home and asked to hear my music. I run a high-end analogue and digital system that’s near state of the art. After a few minutes of playing my visitors requests, most of which were pop and acid rock to my horror, they kept asking for the volume to be turned up. As I was already playing music at a volume I regarded as very loud I began wondering why I was getting these requests. Out of interest I turned to an FM broadcast of bubble gum pop to see how they reacted. It was a nasty recording of something I experienced as trash (OK, I can be a snob) but they thought it  'Still wasn’t loud enough'. A light blulb when on over my head and I tuned the station slightly off channel inducing some really nasty distortion. ‘That’s better' they all screamed.
What’s happening here?
if youre ever in doubt just post in "off topic chat" here where you have or "general music"...

we will get round looking into why you cannot post in the Introductions thread dude.
that's a dudette

Ooops. Dudette, my bad
(06-10-2019, 23:04)Music Head Wrote: that's a dudette

Excuse my unfamiliarity with US usage (English?) but I was under the impression ‘Dude’ was gender neutral. 
Maybe I am too?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Hang on. Doesn’t anyone have an explanation as to why the young today prefer their music in a highly distorted form?
Exposure to MP3 compression? Use since infants of cheap, nasty earbuds? Crap production/recording values? Or something else.
The visual equivalent opticians today are only too aware of is early frequent exposure to mobiles and computer screens often results in short sightedness.
The Human Race is Insane.
Cannot really see how they would have liked a signal that was unclear but maybe it's got something to do with constant exposure to video games (loud explosions/people killing things with oversized weapons etc.) And then there is the loudness race which has been going on for years. It's well known that the quality of sound produced by those earbuds is complete crap. In order to produce a realistic sound of an instrument you have to move a volume of air (to capture all the frequencies accurately) - those earbuds are useless and in any case they distort the stereo spectrum unless you have them perfectly aligned (head related transfer functions and all that). So in order to make these devices appeal to the buyer they boost the higher frequencies artificially so that initially you think you are getting a better quality sound (small frequency chip in the device - like a mini graphic equalizer). Of course it's buggering up your hearing. Ask any GP about the increase in people with hearing problems and ear infections. All these phones and buds are turning people into robots and mindless, wandering media receptors. Not to mention that fact that they seem to be so switched off that they don't even watch where they are walking - like the girl in Dublin who could not be bothered to take her eyes off the phone while crossing the road - she just assumed the traffic would stop for her. Crazy.

On another point a friend of mine used to have a 'lazy eye'. When he was especially tired his one eye would wander away from it's normal position (don't know the medical term). The cure? Constant exposure to a PC screen sorted out the problem because he was forced to look at the detail on the screen (CAD in this case) and that corrected his eyesight. Strange but true.

BTW I see you like pipe organ music etc. I know nothing about this instrument but here's a piece of music which contains a pipe organ at some point - try this from the 06:35 mark - magical stuff.

Some info on the recording of the album - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_for_the_One

And a live interpretation of the track - https://youtu.be/nDXccU0xgNo
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
(07-10-2019, 05:18)Jerome Wrote: Cannot really see how they would have liked a signal that was unclear but maybe it's got something to do with constant exposure to video games (loud explosions/people killing things with oversized weapons etc.) And then there is the loudness race which has been going on for years. It's well known that the quality of sound produced by those earbuds is complete crap. In order to produce a realistic sound of an instrument you have to move a volume of air (to capture all the frequencies accurately) - those earbuds are useless and in any case they distort the stereo spectrum unless you have them perfectly aligned (head related transfer functions and all that). So in order to make these devices appeal to the buyer they boost the higher frequencies artificially so that initially you think you are getting a better quality sound (small frequency chip in the device - like a mini graphic equalizer). Of course it's buggering up your hearing. Ask any GP about the increase in people with hearing problems and ear infections. All these phones and buds are turning people into robots and mindless, wandering media receptors. Not to mention that fact that they seem to be so switched off that they don't even watch where they are walking - like the girl in Dublin who could not be bothered to take her eyes off the phone while crossing the road - she just assumed the traffic would stop for her. Crazy.

On another point a friend of mine used to have a 'lazy eye'. When he was especially tired his one eye would wander away from it's normal position (don't know the medical term). The cure? Constant exposure to a PC screen sorted out the problem because he was forced to look at the detail on the screen (CAD in this case) and that corrected his eyesight. Strange but true.

BTW I see you like pipe organ music etc. I know nothing about this instrument but here's a piece of music which contains a pipe organ at some point - try this from the 06:35 mark - magical stuff.

Some info on the recording of the album - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_for_the_One

And a live interpretation of the track - https://youtu.be/nDXccU0xgNo
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sure you got those links right? I can’t hear any pipe, electronic or other organ at the 06:35 mark on either.Unfortunately I have (suffer from ?) perfect pitch so I’ve always cringed when the two singers in Yes manage to sing out of tune with each other. 
Ooh I forgot to add the link - https://youtu.be/G42-qaPxZK0 - let it play for a minute or so.

And the church where the organ was recorded https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Église_réf...n_de_Vevey
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Video 
(08-10-2019, 09:15)Jerome Wrote: Ooh I forgot to add the link - https://youtu.be/G42-qaPxZK0 - let it play for a minute or so.

And the church where the organ was recorded https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Église_réf...n_de_Vevey

It’s strange the reaction I now have to Yes as pretentious overreaching and technically messy. In the hippy era when they and I were all stoned silly I thought they were brilliant and couldn’t get enough of them. Now I listen for a few minutes and wonder what the hell I thought I was listening to all those years ago. Maybe I should just take LSD again? But hey, the stuff that’s available on todays black market is dangerous rubbish only pretending to be the real thing. Oh, and by the way that’s a supurb organ brilliantly recorded . Too often organ recordings are made with the microphones far too close to the instrument resulting in a harsh, treble heavy sound. The Yes recording is taken far enough out into the church to avoid that and capture the full magic of the long delay of a vast space. When I was first learning to play the organ my teacher always made me stand back half way down the church while he played a piece so I could hear the sound away from the instrument itself. Organists who only ever listen from the instrument itself close up are often guilty of choosing the wrong combination of stops that make it sound good to them. Sadly that can make the sound bad for everyone else.

Speaking of sounding bad, the compression Youtube, and other on-line music sites use often bleaches instruments, singers etc of their full harmonic richness and frequently mangles micro dynamic contrasts. If I really like a piece of music I buy the CD, LP or pay for a high-resolution download, but hey, I’m a real snob when it comes to audio quality most of which today is utter crap. 

At the risk of boring everyone who’s' wandered into the ‘Off Topic Chat’ section here’s a  well recorded tour of some of the most important stops on a pipe organ. Those who’ve never confonted one of these beasts close up may get in idea of how complex they are and how unbelievably difficult they are to play. It took me three years to learn to coordinate the pedals with the keyboards.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3D Audio Songs (Use a Headphone) Thushan 0 477 01-06-2015, 08:29
Last Post: Thushan
  What Is Your Favourite Audio Codec? at first light 2 450 16-10-2014, 22:32
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Need to consult with an audio engineer. pizh0n 25 1,808 19-12-2011, 20:54
Last Post: the nice dude
  Lessloss audio centermez 18 2,184 18-12-2011, 14:04
Last Post: SteveO