Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Reading ?
CMB1888 Wrote:By the way - Jon G, you an atheist yet?
No not yet. I'm just unsure. I want to read Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion by Stuart Kauffman soon. He describes himself as a "secular humanist" and argues that the wonders of the universe are enough. We can label them "God" if we wish. He sees trying to find common ground with the religious is better than actively opposing them.
JonG Wrote:No not yet. I'm just unsure. I want to read Reinventing the Sacred: A New View of Science, Reason, and Religion by Stuart Kauffman soon. He describes himself as a "secular humanist" and argues that the wonders of the universe are enough. We can label them "God" if we wish. He sees trying to find common ground with the religious is better than actively opposing them.

Mmm - I don't know the book but the idea of feeling the need to have common ground on this to such an extent that the definition of 'God' becomes largely meaningless seems a bit sad. I would much rather people had differences than for us all to think the same. I would have thought that the only logical reason in seeking common ground on this issue was for avoidance of (violent) conflict.
CMB1888 Wrote:Mmm - I don't know the book but the idea of feeling the need to have common ground on this to such an extent that the definition of 'God' becomes largely meaningless seems a bit sad.

That's not what he's saying. I don't do a good job of speaking for Kauffman. Check out the interview on Salon.
JonG Wrote:That's not what he's saying. I don't do a good job of speaking for Kauffman. Check out the interview on Salon.

Just going to read this now - at lunch - aren't you up very late/early!!
Read the article - I can see what he's saying but I must admit I don't find anything new (not on the level I can understand anyway!) in it. Good article though.

Just seems a bit duplicitious
I just started reading "Once" by James Herbert today.
LouciferSpeaks.com - Metal/Rock Webzine and Forum.
SoulSnake.co.cc - Excellent site/forums for those into the horror genre! Complete with it's own zombie shoot 'em up!
:embarassed:
Twilight, I think the book series are amazing.
saramitch85 Wrote:Twilight, I think the book series are amazing.

Is this actually obligatory reading for pre-teen and teenage girls now?

- I can't get away from it even in my virtual sanctuary - oh well.......

ps my daughter says the truck is the wrong colour in the film so she's boycotting it
CMB1888 Wrote:Is this actually obligatory reading for pre-teen and teenage girls now?
My sister, who turned 30 this year, requested the book for Christmas. My first thought was "Wait, she's not 13 years old".
CMB1888 Wrote:Is this actually obligatory reading for pre-teen and teenage girls now?

Unfortunately not. A (male) friend of mine has read every book of that series too...