Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are You Reading ?
The Disease of Being Busy https://onbeing.org/blog/the-disease-of-being-busy/

I think it's an astute article. There is something to be said for taking time to relax and reflect, which I know can be hard to do when you have to balance responsibilities and work. Yet I think our culture is rather obsessed with being busy all the time.
Richard D. White, Jr. - Kingfish - 2006

[Image: 51JYdcM8DBL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

bio of Huey P. Long
governor of Louisiana and U.S. Senator in the late 1920's-early 30's
one seriously corrupt politician
if you crossed him there would be payback
apparently his assassin lived by the same rule

Grade - A
next up - Honey In The Horn by H.L. Davis

[Image: 51CuwzuE43L._AC_US218_.jpg]
PAUL MORLEY - "the age of Bowie"

synopsis courtesy of Amazon:

Respected arts commentator and author Paul Morley, an artistic advisor to the curators of the highly successful retrospective exhibition David Bowie is for the Victoria & Albert Museum in London, constructs a definitive story of Bowie that explores how he worked, played, aged, structured his ideas, influenced others, invented the future, and entered history as someone who could and would never be forgotten. Morley captures the greatest moments from across Bowie’s life and career; how young Davie Jones of South London became the international David Bowie; his pioneering collaborations in the recording studio with the likes of Tony Visconti, Mick Ronson, and Brian Eno; to iconic live, film, theatre, and television performances from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, as well as the various encounters and artistic relationships he developed with musicians from John Lennon, Lou Reed, and Iggy Pop to Trent Reznor and Arcade Fire. And of course, discusses in detail his much-heralded and critically acclaimed finale with the release of Blackstar just days before his shocking death in New York.

Morley offers a startling biographical critique of David Bowie’s legacy, showing how he never stayed still even when he withdrew from the spotlight, how he always knew his own worth, and released a dazzling plethora of personalities, concepts, and works into the world with a single-minded determination and a voluptuous imagination to create something the likes of which the world had never seen before—and likely will never see again.

My thoughts:

concentrates mainly on his life up to 1980...
but book starts at the end of his life with "blackstar" and his death...
Bowie was a weird kid back in post WWII London, always had his own way of looking at things
so no wonder that continued on through his professional life also...
the guy was always on the move musically, never content to stay in one place, or character, too long...
always thinking outside the square...
totally on the same wavelength as Eno, too 'out there' for even Warhol...
not one bad word about him which is unusual because the knives usually come out when these stars die...
a very good read from start to finish, gives a pretty good insight into the mind of Bowie...
the end of the book sums him up pretty well with him describing him as some who "looks into a mirror, with
another mirror behind him and others to the side of him..."...
an absolute creative genius and totally original artist who basically "reinvented the wheel".
have even more respect for the guy and his music after reading this (not that he wasn't already up there prior
to reading it, basically confirmed everything about him for me.

rating: 4/5
Harold L. Davis - Honey In The Horn (1935)

[Image: 220px-HoneyInTheHorn.JPG]

Oregon cowboys in the early 1900's
or horseboys
or even sheepboys
a lot of humour in this novel
at least there was for me
all in the dialect I suppose
life across the state as early settlers struggle to make a living
good read

Grade - B

next up - Lion Of The Senate by Nick Littlefield and David Nexon

Thomas Dolby - The Speed of Sound - a present I received on my birthday. Quite a good read. Only got through two chapters so far. But so far so good.
'The purpose of life is a life of purpose' - Athena Orchard.
Commando : The Autobiography of Johnny Ramone

[Image: 9788771292275.jpg]

___
Nick Littlefield and David Nevon - Lion Of The Senate (2015)

[Image: 51rg3wZj-QL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

Puff piece on the late Senator, written by 2 of his aides.
Only covers about 2 years, 1994-1996, when the GOP took over the house and senate.
Kennedy was up to the challenge and fended off the assault.
Actually a book more about the running of the Senate than Kennedy.
He managed to get major legislation passed despite the obstacles thrown in his path.

Grade - C

next up - A Bell For Adamo by John Hersey

John Hersey - A Bell For Adano (1945)

[Image: th?id=OIP.DbgCaKEf1Yzm63o_HFLXGQDAEs&w=1...25&pid=1.7]

nice easy read
setting is Italy near the end of the war
title tells the plot of the story
Germany has confiscated the towns bell
they want another one
American major saves the day
many subplots surrounding the military and the towns peeps
all ends well except the Major gets reassigned for being too helpful