Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW ALBUM: Paul McLaney "play on"
[Image: 51UszqpeSwL._AC_US218_.jpg]

PAUL McLANEY  "play on"

Spotify listen:

never heard of him, was also curious with the album cover art...
gave it a whirl and Wiki'd him....
New Zealand artist....
finger picking guitar style mixed with orchestrations.....
almost operatic vocals on some tracks....
appears to be 'featuring' artists on all tracks, im assuming they are the vocalists????
a classy album filled with thoughtful intelligent music and clever lyrics....
it is apparently a musical imagination of Shakespeare's soliloquies (whatever they are??)
its on the "to buy" list....

no tracks available as yet on YT but there is a short commercial which advertises
his latest New Zealand tour, a couple of short excerpts of tracks so you get the idea....

(07-08-2017, 23:32)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: [Image: 51UszqpeSwL._AC_US218_.jpg]

PAUL McLANEY  "play on"

Spotify listen:

never heard of him, was also curious with the album cover art...
gave it a whirl and Wiki'd him....
New Zealand artist....
finger picking guitar style mixed with orchestrations.....
almost operatic vocals on some tracks....
appears to be 'featuring' artists on all tracks, im assuming they are the vocalists????
a classy album filled with thoughtful intelligent music and clever lyrics....
it is apparently a musical imagination of Shakespeare's soliloquies (whatever they are??)
its on the "to buy" list....

no tracks available as yet on YT but there is a short commercial which advertises
his latest New Zealand tour, a couple of short excerpts of tracks so you get the idea....

Had a listen on Deezer. Nicely done – thanks for the pointer CH! Something a bit different.

I see this originated as a stage production but it doesn’t sound like a musical or a rock opera, thankfully. Don’t much care for those, with one or exceptions. Andrew Lloyd Webber leaves me cold, for example, although conversely, I DO enjoy proper opera (in the flesh, so to speak, not to just hear). Anyway … on first listen, I like the variation in the presentation and interpretation of these pieces – they are contemporary without smothering the bard’s words, and IMHO they’re not over-dramatized. (Btw, a soliloquy is a speech that shows the audience what’s going on in a character’s mind – like thinking out loud.)

“Sonnet 18” was a little disappointing for me, although the only thing it’s done to deserve that indictment is to bear no resemblance whatsoever to David Gilmour’s rendition of Micheal Kamen’s arrangement which is strikingly simple, heartfelt and lovely …

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Jen Cloher "jen cloher" CRAZY-HORSE 6 170 20-08-2017, 00:31
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Paul Kelly "life is fine" CRAZY-HORSE 3 60 19-08-2017, 10:46
  NEW ALBUM: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard "sketches of Brunswick East" CRAZY-HORSE 0 12 18-08-2017, 09:27
  NEW SINGLE: Paul Weller "Mother Ethiopia (pts 1, 2 and 3)" CRAZY-HORSE 0 20 16-08-2017, 04:16
  NEW ALBUM: The Creases "tremolow" CRAZY-HORSE 2 38 15-08-2017, 07:53
  NEW ALBUM: Manchester Orchestra - A Black Mile To The Surface Music Head 1 41 11-08-2017, 21:45
  NEW ALBUM: Murlocs "old locomotive" CRAZY-HORSE 5 91 08-08-2017, 19:00
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Arcade Fire - Everything Now Music Head 1 25 08-08-2017, 15:33
  NEW ALBUM: Oh Wonder - Ultralife Music Head 1 89 28-07-2017, 05:34
  NEW ALBUM: Coldplay - Kaleidoscope Music Head 0 40 26-07-2017, 12:11
Last Post: Music Head