NEW ALBUM: DOMINIC MILLER ~ Vagabond
DOMINIC MILLER ~ Vagabond

[Image: Cover_1000.webp]

Personnel
Dominic Miller - Guitar
Jacob Karlzon - Pianino, Keyboard
Nicolas Fiszman - Bass
Ziv Ravitz – Drums

This album reminded me so much of Pat Metheny’s One Quiet Night (in general, overall tone) that I wondered if he and Dominic Miller had ever collaborated. Found this – the two of them playing Sting’s “Shape of My Heart” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sI2K0aNBBs.

Vagabond is a still album – lots of air – no unnecessary notes. I would call it contemporary or modern jazz. And I know nothing of the other musicians that make up the quartet except that they are all evidently skilled. This is Millers’ third release under the ECM label. Doubt it will hold much appeal around these parts, but I think it’s music that settles the soul -deliberate, beautifully produced – everything about it exquisitely tasteful.

This is what ECM has to say … https://ecmrecords.com/product/vagabond-dominic-miller/

“Dominic Miller has been called “a great, serene storyteller” by Peter Ruedi in the Swiss weekly Weltwoche, and Vagabond, the guitarist’s third recording for ECM, might prove his most poetic tale to date, as he creates striking melancholy textures fronting a quartet with Ziv Ravitz on drums, long-time associate Nicolas Fiszman on bass and pianist Jacob Karlzon. The foursome – each musician a skilled leader in his own right – a has a knack for balancing deep grooves with subtle interplay, weaving pastel shades into delicate harmonic changes as they chart a ruminative path through eight new Miller-originals. Dominic: “It’s never been my intention to make a guitar album. Thanks to the amazing singers I’ve worked with over the years I see myself more as an instrumental songwriter. And as they do, I see it my mission to surround myself with the best musicians who understand the narratives in the ‘songs’. I’m happy to have assembled the right lineup here with Vagabond.” The album was recorded in the South of France and produced by Manfred Eicher.”

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
that linked track really wasnt my thing on its own but the video suited it perfectly IMO

loved the cover art, great image.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Manfred Eicher is a genius, in my view. I can't see anyone filling his shoes because he is so personally involved in his business. Brilliant man - a true listener.
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
If the rest of the album sounds like the track you posted Ruby, this is a must-have for me. Exquisite.

Unusual album cover - wonder why they put that pattern all over the image?
Without loyalty to tribe, church, flag or ideal, there would be no wars - Arthur Koestler
OK listened to this again this morning - a no-brainer - bought today. True 'afterglow' music.

BTW Dominic was also the guitarist for Richard Wright's 'Broken China' album.
Without loyalty to tribe, church, flag or ideal, there would be no wars - Arthur Koestler
^Oh good - glad someone else likes it! He does to tend to pop up in unexpected places.

No idea re the album cover art but maybe the texture creates interest and dimension? Maybe there's another picture in there somewhere? The photography is by Fotini Potamia (also known as Lamp) and it seems as though Manfred Eicher uses his work quite a bit - I remember reading that Mr E selects the works for all the ECM album covers - not the musicians. The trademark Eicher aesthetic.
don't know how you guys do it
feel like I'm in a coma
I made it through though
hope it comes with a lyric sheet

Gotta ease up on the joints MH!. Things will become a lot clearer.
Jokes aside, each to their own. I don't know how you manage to sit through those rap albums. That would do my head in for sure.
^^
i think he needs the THC for the purpose of listening to rap Jerome
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Dominic's disc arrived today. Going to be listening to this in the car for a week or so and will let you know the result.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEW ALBUM: Jaimie Branch - Fly or Die Fly or Die Fly or Die (World War) Music Head 0 98 31-12-2023, 12:59
Last Post: Music Head
  NEW ALBUM: Jimmy Buffett - Equal Strain On All Parts Music Head 1 166 15-11-2023, 22:17
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  NEW ALBUM: Ed Sheeran - Autumn Variations Music Head 0 151 11-10-2023, 11:48
  NEW ALBUM: Stephen Sanchez - "angel face" CRAZY-HORSE 1 213 10-10-2023, 11:25
  NEW ALBUM: Laufey - Bewitched Music Head 1 290 23-09-2023, 07:17
  NEW ALBUM: John Coltrane With Eric Dolphy - Evenings At The Village Gate Music Head 0 243 30-07-2023, 11:10
  NEW ALBUM: PAT METHENY ~ Dream Box Ruby 2 417 16-07-2023, 16:22
Last Post: Ruby
  NEW ALBUM: Niall Horan - The Show Music Head 1 437 22-06-2023, 23:53
  NEW ALBUM: Simply Red - "time" CRAZY-HORSE 0 275 03-06-2023, 08:10
  NEW ALBUM: Lewis Capaldi - Broken By Desire To Be Heavenly Sent Music Head 1 347 03-06-2023, 02:47