Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 FAVOURITE SONGS/TRACKS
Inspired by CH’s list, I’ve been trying to narrow down my choices – it’s a bit like playing solitaire!   

I think it would be correct to say that these are the songs, or pieces, that have pretty much informed my musical taste in general, made a big impression on me one way or another, and will remain forever favourites, or at the very least be firmly entrenched in my hippocampus (is that where music memories go?) until the end of time. That said, where does it all begin and end? These things are not linear – quite an interesting exercise.

This selection has nothing at all to do with their greatness and is 100% subjective. I think I’m going with 50 (there are more), and I can’t begin to order them. Here goes … (will update the list under the clip in this post) ... 

1. "The Ballad of Casey Deiss" - Shawn Phillips, Second Contribution 
  2. "Forever Autumn" - Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of War of the Worlds
  3. "Parisienne Walkways"  - Gary Moore, Back on the Streets
  4. "Morning Has Broken" - Cat Stevens, Teaser and the Firecat
  5. "July Morning" - Uriah Heep, Look at Yourself
  6. "Diamonds & Rust" - Joan Baez, Diamonds & Rust
  7. "Be" - Neil Diamond, Jonathan Livingston Seagull (Original Motion Picture Sound Track)
  8. "Tears and Pavan" - Strawbs, Bursting at the Seams
  9. "Ice" - Camel, I Can See Your House From Here
  10. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - The Band, The Band
  11. "Vincent" - Don McLean, American Pie
  12. "Dust in the Wind" - Kansas, Point of Know Return
  13. "Street Life" - The Crusaders with B.B. King & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Jam 
  14. "Theme from Schindler's List" - John Williams, Itzhak Perlman, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Schindler's List: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
  15. "The Eagle Will Rise Again" - Alan Parsons Project, Pyramid
  16. "Bibo No Aozora"/"Endless Flight"/"Babel" - Ryuichi Sakamoto, Jacques Morelenbaum & Everton Nelson / Gustavo Santaolalla / Gustavo Santaolalla, Babel Soundtrack 
  17. "The Eagle" - ABBA, The Album
  18. "Desperado" - Eagles, Desperado
  19. "Learning to Fly" -  Pink Floyd, A Momentary Lapse of Reason 
  20. "The Loadout/Stay" - Jackson Browne, Running on Empty 
  21. "Sometimes When We Touch" - Dan Hill, Longer Fuse
  22. "I Got a Name" - Jim Croce, I Got a Name
  23. "Private Investigations" - Dire Straits, Love Over Gold
  24. "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" - Klaatu, 3:47 EST
  25. "The Pan Within" - The Waterboys, This is the Sea
  26. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie, David Bowie
  27. "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin, untitled
  28. "Run Like the Wind" - Mike Batt, Tarot Suite
  29. "Comes a Time" - Neil Young, Comes a Time
  30. "The Tao of Love" - Vangelis, China
  31. "Wuthering Heights" - Kate Bush, The Kick Inside 
  32. "Polovtsian Dances" - Alexander Borodin, Prince Igor
  33. "I Ride Alone" - Lee Clayton, Naked Child
  34. "Drafted" - Camel, Nude
  35. "Southern Cross" - Crosby, Stills & Nash, Daylight Again
  36. "Simple Man" - Timothy B Schmidt, Day by Day
  37. "The Reaper" - Blue Öyster Cult, Agents of Fortune
  38. "Sentinel" - Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells II
  39. "Theme from Subway Sue" - Pavlov's Dog, Pampered Menial
  40. "Ship of Fools" - Robert Plant, Now and Zen 
  41. "Heavy Horses" - Jethro Tull, Heavy Horses
  42. "Moonlight and Gold" - Gerry Rafferty, North and South
  43. "Echoes" - Pink Floyd, Meddle 
  44. "The Return of Per Ulv" - Terje Rypdal, If Mountains Could Sing
  45. "Ripples on the Water" - Kayak, Seventeen
  46. "Staircase to the Day" - Gravy Train, Staircase to the Day
  47. "Nothing to Fear" - Chris Rea, God's Great Banana Skin
  48. "Lisa se Klavier" - Koos Kombuis, Elke Boemelaar se Droom
  49. "Til these Eyes" - Steve Hackett, Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
  50. "The Turning Year" - Roger Eno, The Turning Year
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
Something I used to play in the pub back in the day. The whole album is a masterpiece. I have a funny feeling you and I are going to like the same songs so it is going to be very interesting to see what you come up with! Think I am going to have a stab at this myself but I will allow the lady to finish first...
Somewhere between right and wrong there is a garden. I will meet you there - Rumi
I am feeling pressure

a good track to start off your list Ruby, im impressed.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

Almost as much for Richard Burton’s gorgeous speaking voice as anything else - no wonder Liz was besotted!

Atmospheric, thoroughly engrossing (at the time), and an unforgettable song, I think. 

2. “Forever Autumn” from Jeff Wayne’s Musical Version of War of the Worlds - written by Jeff Wayne, Gary Osborne and Paul Vigrass with Justin Hayward singing, of course ... 

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us." ~ Bill Watterson
(07-05-2023, 13:40)JeromeD Wrote: Something I used to play in the pub back in the day. The whole album is a masterpiece. I have a funny feeling you and I are going to like the same songs so it is going to be very interesting to see what you come up with! Think I am going to have a stab at this myself but I will allow the lady to finish first...

Yes - I think you might be right, with one or two anomalies along the way, perhaps!
(07-05-2023, 14:20)Music Head Wrote: I am feeling pressure

Go on. I dare you.  Big Grin
(07-05-2023, 23:27)CRAZY-HORSE Wrote: a good track to start off your list Ruby, im impressed.

Thanks CH - some way to go yet. Hoping not to be a huge bore! Rolleyes
not at all Ruby,
loving the first two tracks you posted.
"BTO....Bachman,Turner,Overweight
They were big in the 70s....for five minutes,on a Saturday,after lunch..."  -  Me 2014.

^Cool!

I’ve chosen this version because of the remarkable 26 second sustain which as far as I know remains unequalled, and it's a fab live take in any event. It’s not Phil Lynott singing, for obvious reasons - this was recorded in 1992, released in 1993. I’m not sure who’s on vocals here and whether it is indeed Andy Pyle as indicated in the YT credits which are sometimes not accurate.

Written by Gary Moore (popular opinion says he nicked it from Kenny Dorham’s “Blue Bossa”) and Phil Lynott and with references to the latter’s absent father, Cecil Parris who was born in 1949 (which I hadn’t known before but now do). 

Moore’s signature song …  

3. “Parisienne Walkways”  from Gary Moore’s debut album, Back on the Streets

The original - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUBCXGeK694

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Million Favorite Songs Music Head 96 8,165 Yesterday, 12:07
Last Post: Music Head
  What are some STUDIO albums that you can truthfully say that you like all the songs o SteveO 193 24,073 17-08-2023, 03:53
Last Post: James Otto Sweet Heart
  top 20 songs of all time CRAZY-HORSE 49 6,248 10-05-2023, 15:27
Last Post: Joe
  2022 EOY singles/songs lists CRAZY-HORSE 0 792 13-01-2023, 08:12
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  David Gilmour's five favourite albums CRAZY-HORSE 0 363 19-06-2022, 08:05
  Biggest songs/singles of 2021: CRAZY-HORSE 1 431 14-01-2022, 23:04
  Favourite Cover Versions you prefer as much/more than the Original carbon_psycho 139 19,553 31-08-2021, 06:28
Last Post: JeromeD
  posting/labeling songs 'singles' or 'songs' CRAZY-HORSE 1 541 05-02-2021, 11:25
Last Post: Music Head
  Biggest selling songs/singles of 2020. CRAZY-HORSE 2 847 15-01-2021, 21:54
  Xmas songs on UK charts CRAZY-HORSE 0 411 11-12-2020, 23:31