Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ludwig Van Beethoven
I am listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony performed by the Philharmonic Orchestra in London.

The music has given me inspiration to start a new thread here for anyone that is interested to share information and thoughts on Beethoven himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_com..._Beethoven
Is a useful list of compositions.
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:
Hhmmmm. Has to be one of Beethoven's Piano Concerto. Will give this one some thought. :innocent:
ambernector Wrote:I am listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony performed by the Philharmonic Orchestra in London.

The music has given me inspiration to start a new thread here for anyone that is interested to share information and thoughts on Beethoven himself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_com..._Beethoven
Is a useful list of compositions.
Ah! First of all, I'm brand new to this board. I have searched a long time to find a discussion board like this. Regarding Beethoven, I found it very interesting that his "Consecration of the House Overture" is quite like a Vivaldi concerto. Can't recall which now. But it's uncanny. And I'm trying to recall which movement of a Beethoven symphony was used for a while as the theme for the NBC Nightly News. Smile Without going to the B9th, I'll take a guess it was the 2nd movement.

I've read several accounts of Beethoven's life. He must have been quite a person to know. There are so many facets brought out. One is that he was indeed quite a businessman in that he would have several commissions going at once to sustain him. I've only found one book that mentions this, and I can't recall the author.

That makes him more like a real person! Most books on composers don't talk about the business side. Most authors just want us to think that composers live in some enchanted kingdom where they just happen to compose music and there it is.
Thanks for the link!
Beethoven was, is, and most likely always will be the greatest composer of all time. I try not to pay attention to the opinions of anyone who doesn't like him.

Best works:

Symphonies 1,3,6,7,9 (the others are great as well, but these are transcendent)
The Emperor Piano Concerto
Kreutzer Sonata
Violin Concerto
Turkish March from The Ruins of Athens
Egmont + Leonore Overtures
The Diabelli Variations

And I haven't even began to really get acquainted with stuff like his String Quartets and so on.
Trumpton Riots Wrote:Beethoven was, is, and most likely always will be the greatest composer of all time. I try not to pay attention to the opinions of anyone who doesn't like him.

Best works:

The Emperor Piano Concerto
Kreutzer Sonata
Violin Concerto
Turkish March from The Ruins of Athens
Egmont + Leonore Overtures
The Diabelli Variations

And I haven't even began to really get acquainted with stuff like his String Quartets and so on.

Agreed. I like Beethoven Piano concerto's
With Regards...

Anthony :coffee:
Trumpton Riots Wrote:Best works:
While I agree with you re: all the opi you listed, you don't mention his 5th Symphony. Personal choice, of course; however, one of the reasons I like it as well is because it's universally known, even by those who know of no other "classical" music. Everyone recognises Beethoven's 5th, even if they don't know the name. As far as arguing the case for liking Ludwig goes, his 5th is a stepping stone to other works of his. And, regarding transcendence, his 5th is still popular enough today to be known by its first four notes alone - that is transcendent! :biggrin1:

[SIZE=1] Apologies if the above is a bit ramble-y and not quite coherent. Am currently unwell. Confusedick2:
[/SIZE]
^ Get well soon...
Love The Emperor Piano Concerto pure genius of the highest order!!!!!!!!!!:wink:
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Hello Ambernector
If you have time in your schedule, please try to take in a very special Beethoven concert at Cadogan Hall, London on February 9, 2010: Overture Egmont, Piano Concerto No. 2 and Symphony No. 7. All proceeds to charity

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beethoven Pathetique piano Mad House 0 896 24-05-2016, 23:04
Last Post: Mad House