Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Day
My first go at this, be forgiving =]

Green Day is an American pop-punk band from California. Since conception in 1987, the band has re-invented itself several times over. Different people divide the band's career different ways, so my view might be a bit different from yours. I will cover each era to the best of my ability.

They started themselves up in the late 80's as "Sweet Children" and began to court the Berkeley, California punk scene. The name "Sweet Children" eventually gave way to "Green Day". The band released a bunch of songs/LP's as Sweet Children and Green Day, which were assembled into "1039/Smoothed out Slappy Hours" by Lookout! Records in '91. "1039" acted as the band's first album. Green Day released "Kerplunk", their second full album, on Lookout! Records in early 1992.

"1039" and "Kerplunk" are, in my opinion, some of the best Green Day out there. Some of my favorite tracks from this era are "Who Wrote Holden Caulfield?", "No One Knows", "1000 Hours", "Disappearing Boy", and "I Want to be Alone". This represents the first "phase" of Green Day - fast, bored, teen-angst punk with obvious radio-rock influences.

The band signed on to Reprise Records in '94. This deal led to the band's first major effort: Dookie. Dookie is one of the most popular Green Day albums; if you've heard of Green Day, it's probably because of Dookie. This album marked a more polished, radio-friendly Green Day, one fit for MTV heavy rotation and pop-station attention. [California fans were disgusted with the band's "sell-out", but that's life, right?] Green Day attended Woodstock '94, where they created a good bit of havoc with a mud fight. "Dookie" is an era all its own, in my opinion. Songs to note are "Basket Case", "F.O.D.", and "She". If you ask the radio, you'll also get "Long View" and "When I Come Around". Dookie represents the band's first taste of mainstream - quality recordings, slightly slower pace, popular themes, etc.

Next on the bill is 1995's "Insomniac". "Insomniac" was where the band began its first major style change, if you ask me. The songs became more experimental and less pop-punky. This album is my all-time favorite Green Day album. "Insomniac" deviates a bit from the success formula discovered in Dookie, specifically in its slowed-down, introspective lyrics. Hits from Insomniac are limited, but include "Brain Stew" and "Walking Contradiction". Tracks to note are "86", "Panic Song", and "Westbound Sign".
The next album in this era is 1997's "Nimrod". The band continued to change their image, growing more and more experimental. Tracks range from standard pop-punk "Nice Guys Finish Last", to an instrumental surf groove, to "Take Back", a dabble in punkcore, to the widely popular acoustic "Good Riddance". Nimrod was Green Day's testing phase, where they tried out different sounds to gauge where their efforts should head. Nimrod is one of my least favorite albums as a whole, but it still has some good tracks on it. "Good Riddance" has become something of an anthem in my little niche of society, however cliche that may be. My other favorites are "Scattered" and "Haushinka".
The last album from this era of Green Day was "Warning". Green Day had experimented in different directions with Insomniac and Nimrod, and had settled on Alt-rock for Warning. This album is almost not Green Day - there is nearly zero punk influence visible, with the possible exception of the semi-radio-friendly "Minority". "Minority" was the only memorable hit from this album. As always, I have a couple of favorite tracks ("Fashion Victim", "Castaway", "Church on Sunday"). I maintain my stance that this album is the first "non-Green Day" Green Day album. Some might say that "Warning" tanked in success... Some others might agree. Anyway, "Warning" was Green Day's first taste of fail.

The final and most current era of Green Day is their concept stage. This was a bolt from the blue - an established, somewhat flailing pop-punk band creating a ballad-laden rock opera? "American Idiot" was just that. Green Day seems to have found a new well of success with this, and all the power to them for it. Popular songs from American Idiot are "Jesus of Suburbia", "Holiday", "Saint Jimmy", "Wake Me Up When September Ends", "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", and, of course, "American Idiot". I'm pretty sure every song on this album has been played on the radio at some point. American Idiot was the success Green Day had been looking for in its past few albums. This album is a point of huge controversy amongst long-time Green Day fans; it doesn't fit in with the band's older music. I know a few Green Day veterans who have never listened to this album, to show their disapproval of the band's dynamic shift. Personally, I like it. It's not classic pop-punk, and it's not classic Green Day, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Favorites from this album include "Homecoming", "Letterbomb", and "Give Me Novocaine". BREAKING NEWS: AMERICAN IDIOT IS NOW A BROADWAY MUSICAL. GO FIGURE.
Green Day's latest effort is "21st Century Breakdown". This is another rock opera, in the vein of American Idiot but more sculpted and polished. I have listened to this album exactly once, and I fell asleep midway-through, so I can't tell you much about it, but I can tell you that I didn't like what I heard. My opinion of it has nothing to do with frustrations over Green Day's style change - I just don't like how it sounds. Popular songs "21 Guns" and "Know Your Enemy" get stuck in my head much too frequently. I am not an expert on Green Day anymore, it seems. =] I will have to give this album another chance, after reading reviews and whatnot, but I have yet to be motivated.

Well, there you have it. Erixouther's Guide to Green Day, take it or leave it.
For an audio picture of the band, you can either:
-Use youtube to check out the hits I listed (to get a picture of the radio-friendly Green Day)
-Use youtube to check out my favorite songs (to get a picture of why I love Green Day)

Have fun people. I hope my guide brings someone a new appreciation for Green Day!
Thank you for doing that..........it is great to see more and more members who feel they can enjoy adding a thread to this !Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Good entry, well done
WOW ! That is great information about the band! I love their 21 Guns and Boulevard of Broken Dreams Smile Did not know they have been existing since 1987!!
Great write up. I used to love this band growing up, and through GD I was introduced to a ton of different bands, including one of my favorites, The Clash. First album of theirs that I stumbled upon was Shenanigans, and later got heavily into their older albums but was a big fan of American Idiot. I haven't followed them since the release of 21 guns, however they're still good, just maybe not my style anymore.
I am a fan of the LIVE album and very few can surpass the adrenalin rush I get when I listen to this one.....

[video=youtube;L5-CZCrj4UY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5-CZCrj4UY[/video]
" WHEN I WAS FIVE YEARS OLD, MY MOTHER ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT HAPPINESS WAS THE KEY TO LIFE. WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL, THEY ASKED ME WHAT I WANTED TO BE WHEN I GREW UP. I WROTE DOWN "HAPPY". THEY TOLD ME I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT AND I TOLD THEM THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND LIFE."

- JOHN LENNON
what is the most poppular song of greenday?
Trumpets Go! Wrote:what is the most poppular song of greenday?
I hear "Good Riddance" quite a bit on radio. Prior to that I would have said "When I Come Around."

Amusing story about the former song: where I worked, one of the office ladies was retiring or moving to another location, I can't recall which, and as a lovely send-off the department put together a CD with a compilation of photos taken at various events she had been associated with over the years. The song was used as a background. As you may know, the words "Good riddance" do not appear in the lyrics, the most memorable line is "I hope you had the time of your life", and it's quite likely she would not know the actual song title or the band.

The thing is, she was a lovely person to talk to if you met her outside the office, but everyone hated having to deal with her in the office. If there was a way of obstructing what should have been a simple process, she would find a way. Some people may well have thought "Good riddance" was appropriate, and to this day I have not figured out whether this was intentional on the part of the crowd that compiled the CD, or whether it was just an amusing coincidence.
i'd say "wake me up when September ends" would be my favourite single of theirs....

a really heartfelt personal cry of pain from Billy Joe Armstrong's pen...
relates to his father passing away in September and the following September was of course 9/11 where he lost several friends
in the NY terror attacks...
thus, that month brings back horrible memories for him and he'd just like to sleep through that month and wake up in October...

"American idiot" is also my favourite album of theirs, which is also the one that track comes off...

I don't like what they call "modern punk" like your Blink182's, Good Charlotte's etc, but to me Green Day always had the energy, angst
and genuine gut wrenching feel to be compared to the Sex Pistols/Clash, early Jam etc from the late 1970s,
of course their music isn't as heavy as those guys from 1977, and in most cases its more melodic but they belong in that esteemed punk company.

I you've never seen them perform live bob_32, watch their "bullet in a bible" live dvd, lots of energy on stage and as a three piece band they manage to
replicate their sound well on stage.