Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy thorpe "tangier"
[Image: 953180-billy-thorpe-album.jpg]

"TANGIER" Billy Thorpe

most of you will not know who billy thorpe is, but here in Australia he is a legend. he's been making music since the early/mid 1960's with his band 'the aztecs', who were as big as The Beatles here.his two biggest hits were:

Most People I Know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QezNE2ZQe...re=related
It's Almost Summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659BB5W838I

he moved to the US in 1976,his 1979 album 'children of the sun' made the top 40 in the billboard pop album charts as did the single of the same name. Billy composed music for several TV series including Columbo,Star Trek:Next Generation, Eight Is Enough amongst others. in 1990 he wrote and played on all 10 tracks of Mick Fleetwoods side project 'the zoo'. he was inducted into the Aust.Hall of Fame in 1991, returning to Australia in 1996 he released 2 biographies which were best sellers and began touring again. Billy died, aged 60 in Feb 2007, was awarded the 'member of australia medal' posthumously in June of that year.

this album was seven years in the making and many trips to nothern africa for inspiration. the music is a combination of chugging heavy blues, orchestrations, egyptian strings, brass,woodwind,african drums and layered backing vocals. it is an aural pleasure to listen to.the album was almost finished by time he died. Mick Fleetwood,who contributes drums to this album,and as Billy's friend has finished the album for him over the past 2yrs. the best way i can sum uo the album is by calling it a 'hypnotic, bewildering musical trip to another world and time'.

I LIKE THIS ALBUM

best track-'marakesh'
worst track- 'gypsy' and 'long time', the instrumentals. theyre ok, but im not a fan.

tracks:

1....marakesh***
2....a river knows**
3....since youve been gone**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_gJR84SG...re=related (live)
4....gypsy*
5....tangier***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYn7V4Uyo88&ob=av2e (video)
6....fatima**
7....long time*
8....it's a new world**
9....we will be there***
10..out of here***

3s-4
2s-4
1.5s-2

rating-2.2

as there are only 2 tracks available on youtube,try amazon.co.uk where you can hear snippets of the tracks.
ps: Tiggi and Gryph, i think you'll love this one
Have heard of him but can't recall anything.
Listened to the first 3 of the above and didn't care for them, unless Since You've Been Gone has more to it in the album version.
For some reason Tangier gives me this - This video is not available in your country.

thanks

Music Head Wrote:Have heard of him but can't recall anything.
Listened to the first 3 of the above and didn't care for them, unless Since You've Been Gone has more to it in the album version.
For some reason Tangier gives me this - This video is not available in your country.

thanks

i also get that 'not available in your country' thing sometimes,i dunno,maybe theres copyright restrictions in some countries to certain things,even youtube has to abide by some laws somewhere. try going to www.amazon.co.uk type in billy thorpe tangier and listen to the snippets to the tracks alongside the mp3 purchases icon. other than that i cant help no further sorry.
CRAZY-HORSE Wrote:i also get that 'not available in your country' thing sometimes,i dunno,maybe theres copyright restrictions in some countries to certain things,even youtube has to abide by some laws somewhere. try going to www.amazon.co.uk type in billy thorpe tangier and listen to the snippets to the tracks alongside the mp3 purchases icon. other than that i cant help no further sorry.

will do. In the middle of a good new album right now.

Also had a listen and I have to say the description posted at the start of this thread doesn't match the two excerpts on YT. I found it pretty ordinary. Maybe I am missing something??
Jerome Wrote:Also had a listen and I have to say the description posted at the start of this thread doesn't match the two excerpts on YT. I found it pretty ordinary. Maybe I am missing something??

i'd have thought that being a PF devotee that you'd have to be missing something!

nah, seriously,thats what makes music great Jerome, you obviously get the same buzz/joy out of PF that i do out of,say,Neil Young or Paul Weller or 'tangier'
Ha ha - oh well so be it. I was expecting to hear exotic ethnic instruments etc. Maybe I'll give it another listen.
there are quite a few,as i said to MH try amazon.co.uk and hear snippets of the tracks where you try the mp3's before you buy them, hey. it aint gonna be everyones cuppa tea,but i think its hot with 2 sugars
Will do...........

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire" is stupid ClassicalIsTheBest 13 1,404 12-01-2018, 09:06
Last Post: Jerome
  NEW SINGLE: Billy Walton Band "hell or high water" CRAZY-HORSE 0 17 12-01-2018, 08:42
Last Post: CRAZY-HORSE
  Billy Joel News Music Head 0 707 23-04-2010, 11:38
Last Post: Music Head
  Photos - Billy Idol, 8.21.08, Nutter Center, Dayton, OH cincygroove 3 1,506 23-08-2008, 21:06
Last Post: CMB1888