Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greatest All-Around Musician of All Time
Who would you say is the all around greatest musician of all time?

My vote is for Paul McCartney. First off, he's a phenomenal bassist and guitarist (listen to the bass on I Want You (She's So Heavy) and the guitar solo on Taxman, as well as the acoustic guitar on Blackbird). I'm not sure how good of a drummer he is, but still, he can drum. He's got one of the most versatile voices in the history of music (He recorded Long Tall Sally, I'm Down, and Yesterday) on the same day, and he recorded Yesterday last!
I think Macca is a fair choice ..............His drummimg is OK Listen to Ballad Of John and Yoko .Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
Not a huge fan, but Prince is a fine multi-instrumentalist, and has written a few mean songs as well.
I have been thinking about this for a while and I have decided that I will nominate :

Mike Oldfield.

There are not many instruments that this guy can not play and inject a degree of feeling Cool
Nice to be able to go back to trust and friendship!!!!!!!!!

It's a mixed up sensation this being alive
Oh! it wears a man down into the ground
It's the strangest elation
I can't describe it
Oh it leaves a man weary
It makes a man frown.
.............................Chris Simpson ( "Mixed Up Sensations" 1975 Martin's Cafe )
i thought of McCartney immediately...then my mind skipped to Stevie Wonder,then as Gryhpon rightly pointed out Oldfield,Tiggi's Prince is also worthy of a mention....Steve Winwood another one and the original multi-instrumentalist Buddy Holly also who also used to double track his vocals on a lot of his songs is a worthy contender.....
but i got to go with Paul McCartney because 'mccartney II' album keeps coming to mind

[video=youtube;cDBkySeyiDo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDBkySeyiDo[/video]
I agree with McCartney. But i think i'd have to say i'm more of a Lennon fan. So i'd have to say him. I also tried to think of a few more modern names, and the only one i came up with was Thom Yorke (Lead Singer of Radiohead). He is both amazing on guitar and piano, listen to Videotape - Radiohead. The most haunting piano i've ever heard. He is also the best lyricist that i know.

modern names also, i have to say Dave Ghrol - Foo Fighters.
And Jack White - The White Stripes.

but i'd still stick with Lennon. Smile
My choice has to do with being an expert at different styles of music, not many instruments, that's how I define an all-around musician. McCartney has done rock and classical (although I personally don't much care for his classical) So my choice is Bela Fleck - he's done a good job at bluegrass, jazz, rock, classical and world music.
Elvis Costello for me. He is a consumate musican who take musical risks and changes a lot with the times...plus he wears a hat. I love a man in a hat.
" Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung. "
I'll nominate Frank Zappa. Awesome guitarist and he could play some other instruments. He is one of the most original musicians ever and he was a great composer. Not that good a singer I guess, but the rest makes up for that.
Mike Oldfield - nothing to touch him. (although I do like the FZ nomination).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Musician Deaths - 2018 Ruby 7 78 Yesterday, 21:34
Last Post: Ruby
  Musician Deaths - 2017 Music Head 95 6,632 08-01-2018, 09:45
Last Post: Ruby
  top 1000 songs of all time: CRAZY-HORSE 2 248 20-04-2017, 21:22
Last Post: SteveO
  A great recording opportunity to help those that can't afford to book studio time Ocean Recording Studio 0 214 14-10-2016, 15:52
Last Post: Ocean Recording Studio
  A must for Musician kefmawin 0 262 21-09-2016, 22:55
Last Post: kefmawin
  "Pancakes, ****, Credit Card Fraud!"-I killed the rap game this time pizzapalooza 12 886 25-08-2016, 20:07
Last Post: pizzapalooza
  Find some time To Give Some Listen Here! mrsvend3245 2 425 22-07-2016, 00:39
Last Post: mrsvend3245
  Releasing music without permission of session musician bennik91 6 1,325 15-06-2016, 04:04
Last Post: bob_32_116
  2 time Grammy winner Rick St. Hilaire co-engineered my music HawkDaNoob 0 375 13-02-2016, 00:56
Last Post: HawkDaNoob
  That Gutter Sh!t- One of the best rap songs of all time by Craigenstein yeasin7 0 366 18-09-2015, 12:09
Last Post: yeasin7