Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Overplayed Rock Songs
The trouble is, the songs on the radio are, more often than not, one of the most bland cuts on a band's album.

Whether by design or not, the song is vanilla compared to the band's other cuts. It appeals to a broader audience because it fits better into that station's format.

Example:

Aerosmith's Pump album scored a hit with 'What It Takes'. Not a bad cut, but seriously lightweight along side F.I.N.E., Young Lust, and Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man.

Those three track are grinding, ballsy, crunchy cuts that could be dropped right in the middle of Rocks or Draw The Line and be a perfect fit.

But, those three cuts would be most likely be rejected by the mainstream radio listener. Too heavy for their top 40 sensibilities. Wimps.

That being said, I never had a problem with David Bowie, until I got stuck listening to the same radio station for four years.

Now I can't stand Changes, Suffragette City and Fame.

I heard those three songs every day for four years.
uncle salty Wrote:The trouble is, the songs on the radio are, more often than not, one of the most bland cuts on a band's album.

Whether by design or not, the song is vanilla compared to the band's other cuts. It appeals to a broader audience because it fits better into that station's format.

Example:

Aerosmith's Pump album scored a hit with 'What It Takes'. Not a bad cut, but seriously lightweight along side F.I.N.E., Young Lust, and Hoodoo/Voodoo Medicine Man.

Those three track are grinding, ballsy, crunchy cuts that could be dropped right in the middle of Rocks or Draw The Line and be a perfect fit.

But, those three cuts would be most likely be rejected by the mainstream radio listener. Too heavy for their top 40 sensibilities. Wimps.

That being said, I never had a problem with David Bowie, until I got stuck listening to the same radio station for four years.

Now I can't stand Changes, Suffragette City and Fame.

I heard those three songs every day for four years.

well put. what a label will usually consider 'single material' is a more monotone catchy standardized pop track. the most musical gems are often hidden inside.
"Hello! It's Kiss.fm all request hour, what, out of all the songs on Earth, would you like to hear?"
"Highway to Hell! by AC/DC!!"
"Well, we just played that 30 times over the last 24 hours, but here t'is!"
The radio plays the same songs they played 30 years ago. They need to play something not necessarily new, but different. Like how about some Axe? or some Mcauley Schenker Group? I've heard Dream On and Don't Stop Believin' to the point where I never need to hear it again.
Music Head Wrote:that's why I pretty much stopped listening to the radio
Problem with that is there's at least one baseball closing pitcher using it as his entrance theme (yeah, it's in his contract). Or try XM Sirius "Deep Tracks" channel--all kinds of good stuff there. There's radio and then there's radio...
You lucky! Here in my country, rock songs are not overplayed and they play Bruno Mars and Pharrell Williams instead...

Don't know if it was overplayed at its time, but I think Owner of a Lonely Heart is the song everybody thinks of when they heard of Yes, but the band has a good deal of other tunes which would deserve that place better, such as Looking Around or Endless Dream.
As you said Liberian Girl, Owner of a Lonely Heart is not representative of Yes' fabulously progressive discography over the past 40 years! That's the problem with most radio stations...they only play the three minute simple song that the masses will buy! As for rock, we have a new radio station 105 Live that plays all contemporary hard rock and rock! It's very good!
 The ultimate connection is between a performer and its' audience!
Noli Me Tangere Wrote:We will rock you by Queen.

also, it has been covered by so many artists and has been turned into a sexually sounding song. hmmm, they do that to a lot of rock songs.
May I remind you ever so gently that Rock'n'Roll is all about sex and only later got turned into political songs and la-la stuff. The early R'n'R songs would curl your hair and have you running screaming for your mama (no, I'll forgo the opportunity to link to songs *). That song's title would lead you to believe in a desire for group sex however...a bit beyond the 1-with-1 limit, I think.

* If you wish to explore this theme further: http://www.allmusic.com/album/risque-rhy...0000264785 << NearAsDammit to early R'n'R and to this day, this guy is writing explicit Country songs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Pierce_%28singer%29
A man accustomed to hear only the echo of his own sentiments, soon bars all the common avenues of delight, and has no part in the general gratification of mankind--Dr. Johnson
What he said. Amen, Bro--JazzboCR
Yeah, anytime I try to talk about Yes with anyone they always say "Oh yeah, Owner of a Lonely Heart, I know them!" and it just frustrates me... Overall the radio totally disgusts me. I can't even put it on the classic rock station when I'm in the shower because I'm afraid I'll hear AC/DC or KISS...
sometimes get bored when we listen same song over and over again

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classic Rock Inspired Song Rich Bitch From Rhett May Transports You Back To The 70's BobMoran 0 527 15-09-2015, 20:21
Last Post: BobMoran
  What do you think HARD rock is? RockRascal 37 9,561 29-07-2015, 01:44
Last Post: SteveO
  Bass Lines Needed For Hard Rock Band Songs JakeSingsAlot 0 545 22-05-2015, 01:18
Last Post: JakeSingsAlot
  What is your all time favourite rock album ? Mrrusty1 64 12,717 13-03-2015, 14:31
Last Post: geeeaidan
  Obscure Progressive Rock\Metal bands Mezurashii5 1 537 02-11-2014, 21:47
  If You’re A Fan Of Metal,You Can't Miss Inside Metal:The Pioneers of LA Rock & Metal fuschiaorchid 1 520 23-10-2014, 02:32
  Rock'N'Roll Wolves - "Call Of The Wild" debut album rocknrollwolves 0 497 21-08-2014, 12:49
Last Post: rocknrollwolves
  Metal Rock Intro V-Andrew 1 625 13-07-2014, 14:21
  Current Favorite Metal Songs Complexterms 2 716 07-06-2014, 11:47
Last Post: evilB
  Hard Rock tunes you are spinning! rock4u.vn 1 408 22-05-2014, 23:21